• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Adventure Center @ Bishop Museum

Who? SCIENCE ADVENTURE CENTER
    What? Grand opening!
    When? Saturday, November 19, 2005
    Where? Bishop Museum
    Why? To teach us about volcanology and other cool stuff related to the ecosystem and geological features of Hawaii
    How? $17 million and 2 years of construction

Feature exhibits include:
    Pu'u O'o - Interactive volcanic spatter cone model.
    Hot Spot Theater - A Lava melting demonstration.
    Wave Making Tank - Surf and Tsunami generating demo'.
    Good Guys/Bad Guys Lab - Presentaton of endemic and invasive Hawaii species.
    Lo'ihi ROV's - Remote-control your own mini sub down a 32,000 gallon tank and examine mock hydothermal vents through onboard video cameras.
    Origins Tunnel - 160 ft. walk-through tube filled with plants, animals and myths of how Hawaii was created.
    Hot Wax Volcano - Simulate your own shield volcano by pumping magma (hot wax) through a hot spot.
    Interactive Islands Model - A 3-dimensional topographical model of the Hawaiian Island chain, including an LCD monitor you can use to get a bird's eye view in detail of each area.
    The Treehouse - an abstract Ohi'a forest, which overlooks the main floor of the facility. Designed for children to take part in roll-playing native vs. invasive species with the use of costumes.
    Rainbow Bridge - create an actual rainbow with a ceiling-mounted rainmaker and specially arranged lighting.

Check it out!...
    The new Science Adventure Center will have a grand opening celebration from 9am to 8pm on Saturday, November 19, 2005. For that day only, admission will be just $3 for Hawaii and military residents. Free for Bishop Museum members, customers and employees of Bank of Hawaii, the grand opening sponsor. Museum members may also RSVP for a free preview on Friday.

There was thorough coverage of the facility in this Sunday's Honolulu Advertiser and Star Bulletin. Click on those links for the whole story.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Science Adventure Center @ Bishop Museum

It is really choice! I've been through the building and haven't even checked out all the different interactive exhibits yet.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: Science Adventure Center @ Bishop Museum

It's an incredible facility. I thought our family membership to the museum was a good deal, even when our kids only wanted to see Hawaii Hall, whatever small touring exhibit was in Castle Hall, and the Planetarium (of course). The new Science Adventure Center easily doubles the number of "fun stuff" they can do there. Definitely a must-see, for residents and visitors alike.

While I've yet to slip it into my videoblog (now iPod video ready!), I've posted a video of the Science Adventure Center online:

Comment

Working...
      X