Kapono's is closing down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapono's is closing down

"Kapono's" at Aloha Tower is closing its doors after the upcoming New Years Eve party. See the article at http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/14/news/story01.html .
    Bummer.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Kapono's is closing down

We just watched him play last night at Duke's Waikiki. Always a good time. Henry NEVER plays any C&K songs there. Strictly contemporary rock. Probably to appeal to the "touristy" crowd.

Perhaps now that Kapono's is closing, he'll be scheduled more often than just Sunday's at Duke's.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The closing is also in today's Pacific Business News:
      http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
      I knew Martin & MacArthur were leaving, but didn't know that the Big Island Steakhouse had left too. Sounds like trouble at Aloha Tower Marketplace.

Comment

In today's Advertiser ( http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...512300311/1123 ) about the closing of Kapono's, Henry talks about the final night tomorrow night and mentions this: "I wrote a new song for the event called 'We Came, We Rocked, We Had A Good Time.' It's real catchy and I think people will get right into it and start singing it."
        The man thinks positive, for sure.

He also commented about the new CD he's working on by saying "It'll probably revolutionize the way Hawaiian music is played and listened to."
        Say WHAT?! Apparently humility isn't one of his New Year's resolutions.

Well, I still wish Henry all the best in his future endeavors!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          I knew Martin & MacArthur were leaving, but didn't know that the Big Island Steakhouse had left too. Sounds like trouble at Aloha Tower Marketplace.
          Yea, Big island Steak is still empty, shuttered and a dismall sight.
          (Hey; "Aloha Tower DisMall" ha)

The cowboy shop changed hands a while ago. It now has a different feel there. No more outgoing gregarious salespeople as like a few years ago. In fact, yesterday, no one else was in the shop as I passed through. I mean no one. No customer, no sales help, no employees.
          The escalator next to kapono's was dead and that doesn't help the overall look of the place. I mean, why taunt us, when we wanna go up to da Bikini bar or whatever it's called this month. Or the observation deck...
          Kapono's is still empty and this helps add to the ghost town feel of the place. (from what i hear, Aloha Tower brought in some mainland consultant/management people and they basically helped shut down that deal.)
          Aloha tower sed; We want five year lease renewal. Kapono's said: we will do one year. See how it goes.
          (after all, ya wanna see how business does and that revenue justifies another year or two. Also, ya wanna see how yer treated by management.) As it turns out, last minute, alledgedly, management came back and said to kapono's Bar; "Ooookayyy, we will do the one year lease."
          To which would be (alledgedly, again) heard the only natural response;
          "AAAAhhhh I dunthingsew, chucko. We have been treated badly thus far in this mess. I believe we will not like to do business with you aloha tower people any longer."
          huuuuuu.
          So. I predict, and hope... Kapono's would and oughtta open in Waiks.

Hooters and Gordon Biersch are about the only very active spots there. Along with Chai's.
          had G.B.'s potstickers and they were not cooked all the way and arrived lukewarm. Dough was raw in some spots.
          a band called resistor played and they were very good. Nice guy, Kevin, leads it. Maddy sez Kevin has great rock star looks.
          He could be Oahu's Mark McGraff.
          they play alotta stuff and serve it up hot, hot, hot, to a very appreciative audience whose applause hootin and ahollerin for more, grew louder after each song and hunny, it weren't jez da beer tawkin.
          a little of green day, flock o seagulls, U2... predict they will, should go far...
          checkem out at:
          http://myspace.com/hortonsphere

Beer was great as usual. had a shot of ToKillYa and boy, i shoulndta!
          The pride of America, floating continent (cruise ship) pulled out as Maddy and I par TAYED with the hoi poloi.
          (dat bigbadboy is at least 15 stories tall above the waterline.)
          GB is one o da bestest places to see and be seen with the seedy and obscene.
          It's da new hangout for many since Kapono's Bar and Grill wen mah-ke die dead.
          Last edited by kimo55; March 26, 2006, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            a band called resistor played and they were very good. Nice guy, Kevin, leads it. Maddy sez Kevin has great rock star looks.
            He could be Oahu's Mark McGraff.
            I never said he looks like the crime-fighting dog!

I didn't say he has great "rock star looks." said he has great looks, period. Hee!

Great freakin' band. I'll be going out to see/hear them again. They did justice to pretty much every song and genre they attacked. I was the designated driver, so I'm not talking through beer goggles. This band rocks.

I told Kevin that my band (when I was in college) did U2 songs when they first came out, and he said, "Yeah, me too." I said, uh, how old are you? (He looked about 27.) He said, "Thirty-four," and I said, "I'm 44." I was referring to early 80s. Ya know, back when U2 kicked Irish ass with "War" ("Sunday Bloody Sunday") and such. Before they got shockingly dull and completely full of themselves.

But still, it's cool that someone that young considers U2 to be "his" band, too. Sort of a "bridge the generations" thing. I dug it, baby.
            Last edited by MadAzza; March 26, 2006, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              He also commented about the new CD he's working on by saying "It'll probably revolutionize the way Hawaiian music is played and listened to."
              A year or so ago, maybe longer, the divine Mister K sat me down and described the music he was working on, and since then I've heard a few of the songs, the meaning of which he also explained to me. He's right. He is taking Hawaiian music -- at least, *his* music -- in a new direction. More "culturally authentic," if that means anything. (My words, not his.)

Comment

Working...
              X