Mariah Concert CANCELED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariah Concert CANCELED

The Mariah Carey concerts scheduled for December 10 & 12 at the U.H. Manoa Stan Sheriff Center are CANCELED.

American Entertainment International made an official statement here.

According to the statement, AEI was not able to meet Mariah Carey's requirements.

What "requirements" could that be? Adequate security? Free comps' such as hotel and limo services? I wonder.

A friend of mine went to her last concert here and said it was a dud. Mariah complained of a sore throat or something like that. She could barely sing.

Why can't these HUGE names such as MARIAH CAREY and the EAGLES get Aloha Stadium for their gig? Logic would have it that you get more bucks for your bang by doing ONE concert for 50K ticket sales than 4 concerts for 8K ticket sales.

Oh, well... perhaps she'll perform some time soon at Anna Banana's.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Mariah Concert CANCELED

I've heard she is quite demanding: vanilla candles lit all over the hotel room, no one is allowed to meet her gaze... But maybe she couldn't keep up her end of the deal. I mean really, does anyone honestly think she actually looks like the advertisement pose of being draped in gold fabric? That girl is zaftig with a capital Z. Something beyond your everyday fussy diva.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      [...]According to the statement, AEI was not able to meet Mariah Carey's requirements.

What "requirements" could that be? Adequate security? Free comps' such as hotel and limo services? I wonder.
      [...]
      Sometimes the venue can't meet the demands of the entertainer:
      http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstagetour/

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        More than likely the unmet requirements were technical in nature. Rather than shipping all their bands equipment here to the islands, producers here have to provide it, whether it's a specific keyboard, specific amps, whatever. I'd guess that the equipment Mariah needed either wasn't here or, more likely, was already booked for those dates.

A friend of mine went to her last concert here and said it was a dud. Mariah complained of a sore throat or something like that. She could barely sing.
        Well, at least she tried. Folks would've complained even more if she'd cancelled, right? She's certainly not the only performer who's had to cancel gigs or recording sessions because of throat problems. Happens all the time. Heck, in major cities with smog problems the record companies even have medical personnel meet the artists at the airports when they arrive so they can provide preventive measures.

Why can't these HUGE names such as MARIAH CAREY and the EAGLES get Aloha Stadium for their gig?
        Part of it may be the performers choice for a more intimate setting where they get better feedback from the crowd, but in the two cases you mention it's most likely because of weather considerations. Winter concerts at the stadium have a strong chance of getting rained out. Not so at NBC or the Sheriff center.
        Not arguing with your three points, but just wanted to offer alternative reasons.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Examples of the extremes in performance riders (part of the contract, encompassing specific requests of each venue, promoter, facility) that I remember from my days doing concert promotion in the 1980s:

Barry Manilow ---
          One entire floor of hotel suites, plus vacancy of all rooms one floor above and one floor below; all rooms painted white, with white furniture throughout, and white grand piano in performer's suite.

Leo Kottke ---
          One wooden stool for stage, about 22" high.

Guess who was more fun to work with?

Comment

Not to defend Manilow too much, but you gotta admit he and Kottke are worlds apart in performance style. I've seen Manilow's live act on television, and it looks like one helluva show. People who go to see Kottke are the hard core guitar fans; I'm one, but I sure wouldn't expect the same energy level Manilow puts out from Leo.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Oh, yeah - no comparison in musical styles whatsoever; just meant to show how wide-ranging the demands of artists can be. I've worked with musicians who poured their souls out for their audiences every night, in all kinds of music; some of them will then hang out to greet every fan, while others play the diva role - and you can usually tell from their riders who is going to do what behavior.

Comment

Good riddance to Butterfly Dogwhistle.

Comment

Some anti-fans have nicknamed her Pariah Scarey.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
                    Some anti-fans have nicknamed her Pariah Scarey.
                    Reminds me of the tee shirt I saw a few years ago...
                    "Spear Brittany"
                    Sorry...back to the topic at hand...

Comment

Working...
                    X