Bird Flu Scare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird Flu Scare?

I read this news about the State wanting to spend 15M on preventing Bird Flu. I think the worldwide panic on this is getting out of hand. Experts are saying the same thing. With only 130 cases and 67 deaths worldwide , bird flu is a tiny grain of sand compared to a disease like AIDS or herpes.

I think if you are going to spend 15M on keeping a disease out of Hawaii why not make it AIDS which kills thousands everyday.

Have a Nice Weekened!
    Last edited by alohabear; November 18, 2005, 09:20 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Bird Flu Scare?

The Center for Disease Control has released a list of symptoms of bird flu. If you experience any of the following, please seek medical treatment immediately:

1. High fever
    2. Congestion
    3. Nausea
    4. Fatigue
    5. Aching in the joints
    6. An irresistible urge to $*!t on someone's windshield

Just bringing a little levity to a serious subject.

Comment

Scientists are saying the world is long overdue for another pandemic like the Spanish flu that killed 50 million worldwide.If it morphs into human-to-human transmission,then its time to sail to a deserted island for a few years.
      The panic may be overblown but it sure has made my medical biotech stocks like NVAX NNVC SVA and HEB skyrocket in price.
      Might also be a good idea to short KFC and Perdue if things start getting worse.
      May be less turkeys for Thanksgiving this year so ham producers may see more business.

Comment

If the virus becomes transmissible from human to human, rather than bird-to-human as it is now, the world is in serious trouble. I'm in favor of the state putting emergency plans in place.

I just finished John Barry's The Great Influenza, and he makes a lot of scary points. For one thing, the world's population was less than half what it is now, and there were between 50M-100M deaths resulting from the epidemic in 1918. Proportionately, that could put deaths in the 500M-1B range if this flu took hold.

Also, there's not enough manufacturing capability in the world at the moment to make all the vaccine dosages which might be required, so stockpiling early makes sense.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Another big difference between 1918 and now is that back then, the world wasn't nearly as urbanized as it is today. Big urban populations = high contagion rates. If the bird flu becomes easily transmissible from person to person in 2005, it'll be even worse than 1918.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Another big difference between 1918 and now is that back then, the world wasn't nearly as urbanized as it is today. Big urban populations = high contagion rates. If the bird flu becomes easily transmissible from person to person in 2005, it'll be even worse than 1918.
            And travel has been democratized. The flu traveled from America to Europe on troopships (the death toll on some of those ships was 20%); now, with air travel, a carrier can fly from Shanghai or Hong Kong or Bangkok (or Vientiane, or Ho Chi Minh City, or Tokyo) and nearly instantaneously move the disease across thousands of miles.

I just wrote a review of the book on my blog, mostly focusing on some of the Federal Government's actions which exacerbated the spread of the disease.

Comment

It seems like a waste of money to stock up on the current flu shots because the bird flu will be another strain of the virus.

Comment

Stockpile Tamiflu, not the current flu vaccine. Besides, any flu vaccine will (somewhat) attenuate the effects of a new strain.

Comment

You might also want to invest in a small stash of disposable masks and gloves, and start practicing good handwashing techniques. In Asia during the winter, you see lots of people wearing masks to prevent catching viruses (or to keep it from spreading to others).

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    The Center for Disease Control has released a list of symptoms of bird flu. If you experience any of the following, please seek medical treatment immediately:

1. High fever
                    2. Congestion
                    3. Nausea
                    4. Fatigue
                    5. Aching in the joints
                    6. An irresistible urge to $*!t on someone's windshield

Just bringing a little levity to a serious subject.
                    I get No. 6 every time someone cuts in front of me without using his turn signal.

Comment

Working...
                    X