Hawaii Island or Kauai????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Island or Kauai????

I'll be moving to Hawaii before the end of 06'. I’m considering Hawaii Island or Kauai. Can anyone please tell me the advantages of living on each island? I would like to buy land and I know I'm pretty well priced out of the Kauai market. I would also appreciate it if anyone could tell me what to look out for if I do decide to buy on Hawaii Island. Thanks for any information…
    Last edited by greentara; November 18, 2005, 11:17 AM. Reason: to add the smile :)
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Re: Hawaii Island or Kauai????

Big Island....Space
    Kauai...beauty
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

That's my take on it too Kauai is so beautiful...thanks Aloha bear. But it would be nice to be able to afford land too.
      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Kauai is no longer affordable, and Hawai'i County is getting that way too. One major consideration (and Craig can confirm this) is if you want affordable land, you may end up having to "rough it". If you're used to amenities like sewers, a public water supply, sidewalks and the convenience of being able to just walk down the street to a grocery store, you'd be better off being in a city.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Kauai is no longer affordable, and Hawai'i County is getting that way too. One major consideration (and Craig can confirm this) is if you want affordable land, you may end up having to "rough it". If you're used to amenities like sewers, a public water supply, sidewalks and the convenience of being able to just walk down the street to a grocery store, you'd be better off being in a city.

Miulang
          I can also confirm it. In most of the "affordable" areas in Hawai'i County, sewage is via septic tanks and cesspools, water is via catchment, sidewalks are rare, and roads are often unpaved. In addition, grocery stores (and any other stores) are often several miles away. For the really "affordable" areas, electricity is either via a generator or solar power.

Cheers,

Jonah K
          Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally Posted by Miulang

Miulang

I can also confirm it. In most of the "affordable" areas in Hawai'i County, sewage is via septic tanks and cesspools, water is via catchment, sidewalks are rare, and roads are often unpaved. In addition, grocery stores (and any other stores) are often several miles away. For the really "affordable" areas, electricity is either via a generator or solar power.

Sounds like JA, i've been living in SF for five years - I'm over the city life and could probably be just fine with the septic tanks etc. done it before - from what I understand the land is lava rock and difficult to dig septic tanks ??? no - Guess a well is out of the question; - catchment tanks would work if it rained allot. I'm just going to have to make a trip over and check things out - if big island is not happening it will have to be Kauai and no land - but it will definately be one of the two. Many thanks for the information.

Comment

Hawaii Island is still a bargain compared to the rest of the state. As for roughing it. Well look at it this way, I live on a paved road with cinder side roads. My house by Honolulu standards would fit well in Kahala and would probably cost in the neighborhood of $1.5 Million dollars. Yes we live on catchment however it rains enough during all seasons except for Summer to not have to worry about water levels. During the Summer we have to fill up the tanks maybe once a month for three months. I have two 5,000 gallon tanks and a family size of 9. Filling is no problem, you call the water wagon and they come in and fill the tanks.

Yes the distances are greater however you get used to it real fast with most of it being highway so a 22-mile drive into town takes less than 20-minutes and typically you'll encounter three traffic lights and virtually no traffic. That less time it takes me to get from Kaimuki to Ala Moana Shopping center! When I lived on 18th Avenue in Kaimuki let's see there were two traffic lights until the 10th ave on ramp then 6 more to get to Ala Moana Shopping center.

Housing prices are rising but still are about 1/3 to 1/2 the price on the outskirts of Oahu. You can still buy a 3bedroom / 2-1/2bath fairly new home with enclosed garage, vaulted ceilings on 1-acre of land in areas with county water, cable and all the utilities for under $400,000. And there are listings for similar homes for $239,000 if you want to live on cinder roads that intersect with paved ones. Believe it or not there are more people living off the main roads than on. And these homes are really nice too.

What can you buy in Honolulu for a quarter million dollars? Maybe a 2-bedroom condo, but not even a home anywhere on Oahu! Here that will buy you a contractor built never moved in 3bed/2bath home maybe less than a year old since the final nail was driven in. Typical living space is around 1300 to 1800 sq feet under roof and typically on one acre of land.

Two years ago that same amount would have bought you twice as much. I know I bought here before the bubble hit and haven't regretted it at all. And I'm from east Honolulu, born and raised there as townie as it got. It took me less than a year to fully appreciate everything the Big Island has to offer

This area (Keaau) really is a growing place with many of us from Honolulu moving here because of the great deals. Kahala was once like Keaau, in twenty years it became one of the most desireable spots on Oahu to live in. Keaau down by the ocean is what Kahala was like in the 50's and it's growth is becoming what Kahala was growing like right after statehood. Homes around where I live are approaching the half million dollar mark but to Honolulu that much bling bling is equivalent to million dollar plus homes.

It's still a bargain out here.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Shhhh Craig! You supposed to keep Kea'au a secret! Pretty soon you going get plenty more neighbors and going almost be like Honolulu, except the houses going be a little farther apart (until they rezone everything and people are able to short plat their lots, which could happen in the future).

Too bad there's no official title of "Mayor of Kea'au". For sure you would win hands down!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Shhhh Craig! You supposed to keep Kea'au a secret! Pretty soon you going get plenty more neighbors and going almost be like Honolulu, except the houses going be a little farther apart (until they rezone everything and people are able to short plat their lots, which could happen in the future).

Too bad there's no official title of "Mayor of Kea'au". For sure you would win hands down!

Miulang
                  Kea'au is already too crowded. During rush hour, traffic doesn't let up on Highway 130 until I get past HPP.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

That traffic is only during the rush and Governor Lingle has already approved funds for the widening of Pahoa Highway (Highway 130). There's also plans on opening up the alternative route to Hilo thru HPP. As you know Railroad avenue dead ends somewhere between Panaewa and Keaau but at one point the road was clear for travel. Opening up that roadway would allow people in HPP to travel to Hilo directly.

Yes Keaau is getting crowded but that's only because nobody expected this influx. Now that it's happening, this area is gearing up for the expansion. Talk about a Second City. The only thing saving Hilo right now is the development of Homestead lands for WalMart, Home Depot, Prince Kuhio Mall and future developments in that area. Once these big box retailers hit the Shipman industrial area and Keaau by Volcano Highway, that's it Hilo will be left out with the exception of UH Hilo. Right now expansion seems to be in the direction of Keaau so the extensions that Hawaii County has built in the opposite direction to Kaumana seems a bit shortsighted. Another blunder for the county of Hawaii. This same dillema occured in Kauai with development heading in two opposite directions. As we know Kauai has dead ends with no way to circumnavigate the entire island with normal cars.

If Hilo wants to do it right they must move the government offices in the lower Puna area (Safarik's district) where representation is more appropriate and better centered. Once the government infrastructure is moved there, business will follow. What the county is trying to do is to revive an old town (Hilo) and hoping that UH Hilo will give Hilo a college culture. There's already a Starbucks in the middle of Hilo within walking distance to the new county building at the old Kaikoo Mall site. Problem is expansion is moving away from this area.

Come on Mayor Kim, open your eyes...oh he's bailing to run for Governor, oh well.

Comment

What about the land in Kalapana? I see lots popping up from time to time.

I don't think I'd want to build a house on it just yet, but that is a nice location. I love the lava down there.

What's is the status of the lots that got covered or are inaccessible due to the lava?

Comment

Kalapana is considered too wayward for extensive development although there are lots being sold there for higher prices than what they were worth 2 years ago.

And the active lava flows at Pohoiki that you see on TV where the flows go into the ocean is about five miles away from Kalapana. Parts of the road are still inaccessible by regular cars. I wouldn't buy down there anytime soon. It's too far away from Hilo and away from Pahoa to buy unless you like seclusion.

I'm not sure about the status other than it's not too desirable yet. Not too many people developing their lots yet. Part of the problem is getting cement out there for foundation work. Apparently cement foundations are preferred over wood post and pier and in Kalapana, the cement would be getting a bit hard by the time the trucks could deliver to those accessable points.

I wouldn't waste my time buying into Kalapana. The area is too unpredictable. I mean the entire Kalapana black sand beach simply disappeared literally overnight from the seismic activity. Sometimes at night I can see the glow of lava fountains in the direction of Kalapana so I know it must get unnervingly close at times to those residents there.

Comment

Only bad thing is you are far from the hospital. If you have medical problems like a heart attack, you may be dead before help arrived. Hilo needs more than one hospital.
                          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                          Flickr

Comment

A good bet on the Big Island is to connect with a realtor who actually lives in the area you are checking out. One who will tell you the truth about area schools, jobs, safety, water, vog, etc. When we moved from Oahu, we worked with a few different realtors (one in Hilo, one in Kona, one in Waikoloa, one in Waimea), and took advantage of their individual knowledge in specific locations/areas. It turned out to be a very wise choice for us. (And yes, you CAN work with more than one realtor as a buyer.)

Comment

Kauai doesn't have a lot to offer and it's not even a cheap place to raise your kids anymore. The Big Island is a great place for exploring. There are so many geological sites to bring your keiki to.

Comment

Working...
                              X