Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever think about meeting people for a sale? Think again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever think about meeting people for a sale? Think again.

Source

[the seller of “Lamborghini-style” door kits on ebay] was approached by four male suspects at the park, one of whom identified himself as the eBay customer, indicated he was armed and demanded cash. Two of the other men removed the stereo system from the victim’s car, police said.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Ever think about meeting people for a sale? Think again.

Ouch. I met an e-Bay seller locally to pay for a flash attachment for my Canon. But we met at Pearlridge in front of a zillion people.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
      Ouch. I met an e-Bay seller locally to pay for a flash attachment for my Canon. But we met at Pearlridge in front of a zillion people.
      Double ouch! I met a seller locally, too, in the McDonald's Keeaumoku parking lot. A very nice lady on the phone (and in person) so I never gave it a 2nd thought. I will now!

Comment

I once sold an item on eBay to a guy located in Honolulu who requested to pick up the item personally and save on the $5.00 shipping fee. So we agreed to meet at a Zippy's Restaurant where we also had lunch together. Great experience.

That guy on the other hand made the mistake of meeting a DISGRUNTLED customer in person. What was he expecting? A hand shake and pat on the back?
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

From an economic standpoint, if you are the seller, you lose money by doing a dropoff. Not unless your profit margin is such that it will cover the gas and time to meet the buyer.

Short story. I once completed an auction with a local buyer. In response to the standard eBay invoice for payment I sent to him, he responded that he lived on the Windward side and wanted to meet me to do the exchange to save him shipping and me “the hassle of shipping the item.” Before I could respond to his offer he e-mailed me again trying to sell me on meeting him. I felt a little uneasy at this point, feeling that he seemed too anxious to meet (the fact that he had zero rep points also caused me pause). I then responded to him that I do not do drop-offs, but considering he was in-state, I would ship parcel post, since delivery would be only 2-3 days longer than express mail, which would save him on postage costs. I then resubmitted an invoice to him with the reduced shipping amount. He e-mailed me again asking me to reconsider, I reiterated my position. In the end he decided not to pay me, and I moved against him under the eBay non-pay procedures. He closed his account. I am sure he just opend another one though…

Comment

I met numerous people for a sale whether it's an eBay sale or classified ads sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender
              Short story. I once completed an auction with a local buyer. In response to the standard eBay invoice for payment I sent to him, he responded that he lived on the Windward side and wanted to meet me to do the exchange to save him shipping and me “the hassle of shipping the item.” Before I could respond to his offer he e-mailed me again trying to sell me on meeting him. I felt a little uneasy at this point, feeling that he seemed too anxious to meet (the fact that he had zero rep points also caused me pause). I then responded to him that I do not do drop-offs, but considering he was in-state, I would ship parcel post, since delivery would be only 2-3 days longer than express mail, which would save him on postage costs. I then resubmitted an invoice to him with the reduced shipping amount. He e-mailed me again asking me to reconsider, I reiterated my position. In the end he decided not to pay me, and I moved against him under the eBay non-pay procedures. He closed his account. I am sure he just opend another one though…
              Good call.

So far, I've done business with two local people, one meeting me at my home (he sold me a used video card, because his wife wanted to clear the lanai full of stuff; he's a family man and when I called him a few times, I could hear the kids and wife in the background) and another meeting at Ala Moana Food court (traded his cell phone for my cell phone, young working guy (probably younger than me). Of course, they were both from another local forum, so they had a rep there. The deals went smoothly, with only the latter guy running late because he had a cast on and there was traffic. Products from them were very solid and was more than I expected (still using them).

I guess its who you deal with.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
              X