OfficeMax sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OfficeMax sucks

I needed a new copier, so I did some comparison shopping and settled on a Canon D860 Digital Copier. OfficeMax had them on their website at $599.
    There are 3 OfficeMax stores on Oahu. I called the store at Stadium Marketplace, just a quick hop across H-3 from my office. "Sorry. Not in stock."
    Okay. Called the store on Ala Moana. "Sorry. Not in stock."
    Sheesh. Called the store in Waipahu. "Got five of 'em." Hooray!
    "Do you deliver?"
    "Yes, free delivery on orders over $50. Go ahead and order it online and we'll deliver it."
    Done. Ordered November 4, for delivery November 8.
    On November 8, delivery arrives. Well, the USB cable arrived, but not the copier, although the shipping invoice indicated it was included too. Huh?
    Called OfficeMax's Customer Service In California and they said: "Oh, the Oahu shipping center is out of stock." HUH?
    "But I just talked to the store and they had five of them! Did they sell all five?"
    "No, we've just switched to a new system. Instead of shipping from the stores, the products come from the new Oahu shipping center."
    "Oh, okay. So you're going to get one of the five from the Waipahu store and deliver it, then?"
    "No, we can't do that. It has to be shipped from San Francisco."
    "Say WHAT?!?! You've got one at your store that's less than 15 miles from me, but you're going to ship one more than 2,500 miles?!?"
    "Yes, that's our new policy."
    "Okay, I want to cancel my order. I'll drive the 15 miles and pick it up. Just send me proof that you've cancelled my online order and have reversed the charge on my credit card."
    "We can't do that. You'll have to wait until they deliver the copier, then refuse the delivery."
    "HUH?!?!? So when do you reverse the charge on my credit card?"
    "When the copier gets back to California."
    No-o-o-o-o!!!
    "Okay, when can I expect delivery?"
    "Thursday November 17."
    "Geez, 13 days to get a copier that's just 15 miles away. Oh well. I'll wait."
    Hang up, grumbling.
    Thursday, November 17 arrived. I called OfficeMax to make sure I'd get the delivery.
    "No sir. Someone misinformed you. The delivery will be Tuesday the 22nd."
    "What?!?"
    More verbal song and dance, and I ended up waiting.
    This morning, I called again to make sure the delivery was coming today.
    "No sir. Someone misinformed you. It's being shipped by boat from San Francisco and will be there in four to six weeks."
    "What?!? Who's the shipper? What's the tracking number? What's the current status and location of the copier as of right now?"
    "Hold on." (20 minutes pass. Muzak sucks.) "Sir, we can't determine who the shipper is or what the tracking number is. But your copier will definitely be there in four to six weeks."
    Further conversation ensued. Perhaps you folks on the island heard it? That raised voice thundering through the canyons was mine.
    Hung up the phone. Waited to chill out for a while before taking any further action. And...

Less than one hour later a truck delivered the copier!!!

Yep. OfficeMax sucks. I cancelled my account with them.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: OfficeMax sucks

GOOD FOR YOU BUDDY. After all the B.S. I would hit the nearest bar.
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      (20 minutes pass. Muzak sucks.)
      Hey, now...Guess how I make my living?

Besides, in that kind of stressful circumstance, just about ANYTHING sucks.

Comment

I needed a new copier, so I did some comparison shopping and settled on a Canon D860 Digital Copier. OfficeMax had them on their website at $599.
        [...]
        Yep. OfficeMax sucks. I cancelled my account with them.
        Yikes...whatta story! FWIW, I usually price compare with Fisher Hawaii. Often they're less expensive than either Max or Depot...altho' their Kakaako store's interior 'design' and display is less, shall we say, user friendly!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          Hey, now...Guess how I make my living?
          Um, working with Muzak I guess, based on the part you quoted. If so, you sure do have my sympathy!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            Yikes...whatta story! FWIW, I usually price compare with Fisher Hawaii.
            Thanks, Tutu. And yes, I always check comparables before ordering large items. The OfficeMax price was fine.
            Also, I wanted a stand-alone copier, and they're darned hard to find these days. Almost all of the new copiers also print, fax, scan, and do everything else except brew coffee. I've got plenny faxes, scanners and printers; just wanted a copier.
            But of course it was OfficeMax's glaring lack of accountability and customer service that lit my fuse. 2,500 miles instead of 15 miles? How much extra did that cost them? Dumb. Really dumb.
            And then telling a customer that they were unable to determine who the shipper was, plus they were unable to find a tracking number!?!
            Heads should roll.
            I only order maybe $10,000 of office equipment and supplies per year, so I doubt they'll miss my business. But still. Ya know?

Comment

That's too bad I would have contacted the Oahu shipping center and asked for a manager on duty demanding some sort of recourse. You'd be surprized at how much can be done at a local level.

I brought my car to Sears to get my front wheels aligned. In the process they damaged my front door lock disabling it from securing the car. After some negotiating, they offered two actions: 1) They'd repair the damage but it would require me to drop off my car for a day or 2) They wouldn't charge me the $79 alignment fee and call it even.

Well I ended having the alignment done for free (with warranty) and having my friend fix my lock for a plate lunch.

Anyone who has worked retail knows that there are ways to get some sort of satisfaction for a major screwup. Here in Hilo it seems it's okay to buy a product, use it then return it for full credit when the job's done. It's amazing how much power the consumer has because a retailer fears that word will spread that Office Max sucks and they don't want that kind of bad publicity.

It's still not too late to voice your concerns to the local Office Max store you really wanted to buy the printer from. They could discount the price substantially to make it worth your while to stay a dedicated account holder. You'd be surprized at how much a retailer will bend over to keep you satisfied.

Oh and I recently found out that Office Max will match prices from other stores selling the same product/model. I had a friend buy a Brother 4-in-One printer from Office Max for $50 off their retail price because WalMart had the exact same model on sale at their store.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Um, working with Muzak I guess, based on the part you quoted. If so, you sure do have my sympathy!
                Right on the mark. It's a cool and enjoyable job; I've been doing it for almost a decade. I'm one of about 20 people who program all the music for Muzak - everything from pop & rock, to jazz, new age, classical, electronica, country, blues, world - even the dreaded "elevator music." Fortunately, the "elevator" sound is such a tiny piece of our business now (even though that's the image that we will never be rid of.) We all get to work with the real thing - the CDs and music anyone can buy in the stores, and we don't make syrupy string arrangements of 'em anymore.

I tend to specialize in jazz, classical, new age and world music, even Hawaiian. The Hawaiian mix you hear at Ala Moana Shopping Center, or Honolulu International Airport, or hundreds of stores, malls, and restaurants in the Islands - that's my paying gig. If you have Dish TV, you can hear many of our programs as their music channels. And then there's the customized mixes we do for thousands of businesses, like The Gap, Cold Stone Creamery, Avis Rent-A-Car, Banana Republic, and so on.

But I will admit, the stuff that we use for telephone systems --- that's pretty much the same old stuff as the elevators. We aren't licensed to use "real" music on phone systems, so we are stuck with the stuff we had produced especially for us, over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  That's too bad I would have contacted the Oahu shipping center and asked for a manager on duty demanding some sort of recourse. You'd be surprized at how much can be done at a local level.
                  What craig said. Call them now. Talk to as many people as you can. Write a letter if you can't get anybody of importance on the phone. They need to answer to you. You paid them good money and they didn't deliver on their guarantees. And don't be shy. They're earning their pay to keep you happy. And if, ultimately, they don't give you what you're looking for, shop somewhere else and mean it.

Comment

Wow. Sorry you had to go through that.

When I walked into the Waikele OfficeMax a few years ago on a walking trip from home, I immediately walked out when I saw the prices. Do they know that Kmart and compusa has some of the product they have? And the salespeople were dumb as bricks, because all they did was play tag on their cobra radios (another thing I hate about them) and don't have a clue about the layout of the store.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      I would have contacted the Oahu shipping center and asked for a manager on duty demanding some sort of recourse.
                      They wouldn't release that number.
                      Probably because they've been getting too many complaints.

You'd be surprized at how much can be done at a local level.
                      Thanks, Craig. I always do work my way up the chain of command when there's a problem like this one. As you may have noticed, I'm not hesitant to speak my mind.

But remember, I was told it would arrive in six weeks... I took a break to chill out... and it arrived less than an hour later. So, end of story. Not gonna waste any more time on it. Lesson learned: "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me." OfficeMax account = buh-bye.

It's amazing how much power the consumer has because a retailer fears that word will spread that Office Max sucks and they don't want that kind of bad publicity.
                      And I always remind them that I'm very involved with the media and know how to get my complaint heard. A lot.
                      I just shared the story here on HT because it was so darned bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        Right on the mark. It's a cool and enjoyable job; I've been doing it for almost a decade. I'm one of about 20 people who program all the music for Muzak
                        Cool job! And good on ya for doing the Hawaiian music thing, too.
                        This would be a great item to discuss in maybe the Jukebox section. (I'd like to hear more about it, but I'm racing out the door for Thanksgiving...)

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
                          And don't be shy.
                          Me? Shy?
                          That'll be the day there's a snowstorm in Lahaina.

Comment

Kinda caught the end of this. If you are operating a business are run more than 500 copies/prints/faxes or scans per month, you probably shouldn't be buying a copier from a store - you should really be talking to a dealer. You might "save" some coin upfront, but $90 for toner really adds up. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                            X