Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where were you 42 years ago on this day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where were you 42 years ago on this day?

Many of you were not born yet, but for those who were, do you remember what you were doing when you first heard that Pres. Kennedy had been assassinated? I was in the middle of Latin class when the announcement came over the PA system; we were allowed to go home for the rest of the day.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Where were you 42 years ago on this day?

Kindergarten, Saint Peter's School, and Sister Mary Lambert was my teacher. She was a Franciscan nun, the order was out of Syracuse, NY, and they had a relationship with a convent and hospital here, St. Francis Hospital. Sister Mary Lambert spent quite a bit of time at the Hawaii convent, taught us the hula and wore a lei in class when she danced for us.
    But that's off the subject. I was only four, and I don't remember the day. But I do remember when JFK's color portrait was distributed in the Sunday paper and many people framed that and hung it in their homes.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

What supposed to be a day of celebration for my father's birthday, turned into a day of mourning for the whole family and Nation. I remember quietness and tears. Everyone watching the t.v. Hardly anyone eating the food that was prepared. It was a day I shall never forget.

The day, President John F. Kennedy died.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was four and still remember my mom holding me in her lap and crying while watching the news on tv.

Comment

I was only 4 years old and don't remember the day. But I do know that my mom was very sad and after that day she collected many items and books of JFK and his wife Jackie that she still has to this day.
          Lovena

Comment

I wrote my story a couple of years ago, and reposted it yesterday.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Mrs. Nishima's class 4th grade Ewa Elementary School; da janitor came and told our teacha. She started crying. Da class was all quiet cause we knew da only reason a teacha would cry is cause somebody wen makidiedead. About 5 minutes latah, da Principal made an announcement on the intercom system to tell da whole school.
              ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Five years old, already done with kindergarten for the day, playing at a friend's house. The TV coverage was on, and my friend's mother was following it, but my friend and I were too young to grasp the reality of it all - so we mostly kept playing. Yet I still remember the TV in their living room, and the images in the background while we played.

Comment

That day is etched in my memory. I was a receptionist at CBS Television City in LA. The large lobby always had a TV on. Wannabe stars used to hang out there in hopes of being discovered by a producer or director when he walked thru the door! The lobby was empty when the news broke. I sat at my desk and watched the tv in horror. Within a few hours the entire facility was closed and everyone was sent home. And, I'll never, ever forget watching on live tv a few days later, Jack Ruby killing Lee Harvey Oswald. Seeing something of that nature was just unheard of in that day and age of tv. Of course, anything can happen during a live broadcast but, still, events such as that just weren't captured live. I sat dumbfounded saying to my parents over and over, "I just witnessed a murder.". In retrospect, I'm glad the majority of tvs were still black and white.

Comment

High school sophomore, didn't grasp the significance because I was too busy being a 15-16 year old and went surfing when we were told to go home.

Comment

Working...
                    X