Thankgiving Horror Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thankgiving Horror Stories

I read these stories on this morning's Star Bulletin online and they were pretty funny, so I thought i'd start a thread so we could share our Thanksgiving Horror stories

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY

My only tale is a common one on timing the bird. Because of I thought it would only take "a couple of hours" to roast a turkey my guests and I had to wait 2 hours before the feast. Every thing had to be "zapped" in the microwave to be hot once the turkey finally was done.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Thankgiving Horror Stories

Yes indeedy!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I can't recall a true horror story. The only potential for one was Hurricane Iwa during the early 1980s (1982?). There were rolling blackouts during Thanksgiving day which made cooking a by guess and by golly affair! It was an adventure, one we talked about for years. And, everything turned out fine...except my mom who was still shaking like a leaf over the fact that she was anywhere within a 1000 mile radius of a hurricane. During the heighth of Iwa she was demanding that we take her and my dad to the airport because she wanted to go home (Calif.)...NOW!!! Yah! Right! The airport was closed. So, she demanded that we get it opened...NOW!!! Uh huh! Sure!

Comment

We cooked three turkeys during Iwa for various friends. One in our roaster and two in the oven (I guess).
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        except my mom who was still shaking like a leaf over the fact that she was anywhere within a 1000 mile radius of a hurricane. During the heighth of Iwa she was demanding that we take her and my dad to the airport because she wanted to go home (Calif.)...NOW!!! Yah! Right!
        Now there's an interesting notion.. to escape the danger of a Hurricane on Oahu for the relative "safety" of California. So ironically funny!

Well not a catastrophe, but rather disappointing...

For tomorrow, we ordered a Turkey-to-Go dinner from the Hyatt that feeds approximately 6-8 people. But all of our intended guests aren't able to make it, so it will be only 3 of us instead. Looks like we'll be having leftover turkey for weeks. Nightmares!
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          Now there's an interesting notion.. to escape the danger of a Hurricane on Oahu for the relative "safety" of California. So ironically funny!

Well not a catastrophe, but rather disappointing...

For tomorrow, we ordered a Turkey-to-Go dinner from the Hyatt that feeds approximately 6-8 people. But all of our intended guests aren't able to make it, so it will be only 3 of us instead. Looks like we'll be having leftover turkey for weeks. Nightmares!
          Personally, having experienced both, I'd choose a hurricane over an earthquake! Well, I'd choose neither but sometimes we just don't have a choice in the matter. My mom also detested earthquakes but she didn't have any time to think about them. BAM! By the time she could voice her fear it was over.

Too much turkey dinner is a good thing, at least in my home! I freeze as many "tv dinners" as I can, then I make a huge pot of soup that includes left over mashed potatoes and stuffing. Yummm. AAMOF, because this year my Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners won't be at home, I ordered the full turkey dinner from Sack 'n Save to be picked up on Friday! LEFTOVERS! I want leftovers!!! I'll take half of everything to a birthday party on Saturday. Friday will be tv dinners/pot 'o soup day. My home and office freezers will be a feast for the eyes and tummy!

Comment

hmmn...my horror story involves eating "t-giving from a can" where the gravy was Swanson's finest, the mashed potatoes derived from anhydrous particles, and the ham was shaped curiously like a loaf of luncheon meat.

and I never made a t-giving meal the same way since.

(does this qualify?)

pax

Comment

I read the Star Bulletin article that was mention in the base note, I had to chuckle on the one with the lady planning a potluck and ended up with one turkey and 20 desserts.

For me I don't cook much so my experience with food prepration problems is not that much. I wouldn't be surprised if the Thanksgiving gatherings I have been to in the past had some minor behind the scene cooking problems but not on the scale were things got burnt or really undercooked.

Comment

Working...
              X