X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Pat Morita

Pat Morita has died.

Re: R.I.P. Pat Morita

Yep, was surprised to hear about this on the radio this morning. He will always be remembered for playing Mr. Miyagi on the "Karate Kid" movies.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What an incredible life. He'll most definitely be missed.

Here's his IMDB profile (he still has appearances coming up - though Only the Brave isn't mentioned) and a Wikipedia entry. Here's a nice writeup by a local writer. Remember his "Hi-Y" ad for First Hawaiian Bank? He had strong ties to the islands.
      Last edited by pzarquon; November 25, 2005, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Pat Morita also did a series of local commercials for Rainbow Chevrolet in the 1980s.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

And he lived on the north shore for quite a long time.
          R.I.P., Pat.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            [...]Remember his "Hi-Y" ad for First Hawaiian Bank? He had strong ties to the islands.
            Pat was the celebrity 'spokesman' (for lack of a better word) for FHB during the early to mid 1990s. One of my favorite spots, which preceded the Hi Y ads (iirc), is a husband and wife at the bathroom sink getting ready for work. The camera is from the mirror's point of view. The wife is putting on lipstick when, in the background, we see Pat pull back the shower curtain! The wife's reaction to seeing Pat in the shower was priceless!

Yes, indeed, he'll be missed.

Comment

R.I.P. Mr. Pat Morita

1stwahine
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I met him a few years ago at a Perry & Price show when he was taping Baywatch Hawaii here in town.

I got to take a photo with him and get his autograph. He will be missed.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  though Only the Brave isn't mentioned) and a Wikipedia entry.
                  The reason it's not mentioned in his official credits is probably because the producers are still in the process of raising money to do final edits and find a distributor for the movie. Theoretically, it's still a movie-in-progress until a distributor can be found. It's only been screened at special "preview" fundraisers.

A related note: Did you know that Mark Dascascos (one of the main characters in "Only the Brave") is now the guy who plays Kaga's nephew on "Iron Chef America"? And Yuji Okumoto (another main character in "Only the Brave"), who also had roles with Pat Morita in the Karate Kid movies, also auditioned for the part of Kaga's nephew for "Iron Chef America"?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Never No That Muilang!!!! Thanks For You Info.............
                    Oggboy
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

He will always be "Arnold" to me . That "bahaa haa " laugh was a classic.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        And Yuji Okumoto (another main character in "Only the Brave"), who also had roles with Pat Morita in the Karate Kid movies, also auditioned for the part of Kaga's nephew for "Iron Chef America"?
                        ...and is the owner of Kona Kitchen restaurant here in Seattle, where, one weekend morning each month, you just might bump into the staff of the "Northwest Hawai`i Times" newspaper, plotting our next couple months' issues...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

...and is the owner of Kona Kitchen restaurant here in Seattle, where, one weekend morning each month, you just might bump into the staff of the "Northwest Hawai`i Times" newspaper, plotting our next couple months' issues...
                          Are you referring to issues for the online edition?? Pat Morita would've said, "bahaa haa!" And you can tell Rochelle I said that, too.

"Pat's relationship with Hawaii was very unique," said singer Jimmy Borges, who met Morita in San Francisco more than four decades ago. "Everybody here thought he was from Hawaii because he had that feeling of being a local. He used to laugh at that. And he felt he was home here."

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            Are you referring to issues for the online edition??
                            Soon, braddah, soon ... or so I'm led to believe ...

Comment

I was saddened to hear of his passing...while no Brad Pitt in the movie realm, he will certainly be missed and thought of as a big-time actor in my eyes.
                              "No Can Hear, Get Beer in my Ear."

Comment

Working...
                              X