Ear Candle!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Candle!!!!

Watched a friend who had an ear infection use a "Ear Candle" to suck wax out of his ear.... Anyone else ever tried one of these???

It's basically a cone shaped wax object (think of cottan candy holder) that you stick in your ear and light the other end on fire. Because the fire needs oxygen to burn....it litterally is trying to pull oxygen out of the ear...which in turn causes wax to be pulled from the ear...

It looked scary... however, when they emptied out the empty tube when it was done... you could see that there was a long "glob" of wax that was pulled of his ear....

I think you can find them at Health stores....forgot to ask him where he purchased it.... however he did mention that it was like $12.00 for two of them.

Re: Ear Candle!!!!

Nope never tried it. I suspect it might get tricky if one has long hair.

Comment

Cecil Adams of "The Straight Dope" did an article on this a while back. It can be found here.

Comment

Yo Pretender.... Re: Ear Candle!!!!

I'm sorry to let Cecil Adam's article's lose credit here...etc... I love reading the shit in the weekly...etc... less yet all over the nation...etc...

But #%#$%#$ I'm an eye witness to this stuff... and I'm not much of a believer of too many things....

I saw the wax come out from my friends ear myself!!!..

He himself was having troubles blinking his eye on one half the side of his face.... w/in 10 minutes of having the wax removed via the Vacuum created by the candle....he was able to blink his eye and stuff....

I have no reason to sit here and promote this shaaiit... just trying to get more info on it.... too me it looked kind of like some sort of black magic stuff... but damn.. I saw the wax myself... and my friend himself said he felt much better.... ok... outs...

rambling... just tripping on this product.... as they say.... ainokea if no one believes me....

Comment

Sssssshhhhh....I had it done twice. It works. My son and daughter had it done the same time in my hale. Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Lyle Galderia on KHNL did that on a "does it work" segment a few years ago. I believe he said that it didn't work.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              Lyle Galderia on KHNL did that on a "does it work" segment a few years ago. I believe he said that it didn't work.
              Well, Adrina. It worked on me and my kids.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Re: Ear Candle

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                I'm an eye witness to this stuff... and I'm not much of a believer of too many things....

I saw the wax come out from my friends ear myself!
                If the cone was in your friend's ear, how did you see the wax come out? Are you saying you saw the wax in the cone, or are you saying that you saw in your friend's ear before and after? Just curious -- I was thinking of giving this a try, actually.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It sucks it into the cone. After everything is pau. Cut the small piece of cone apart. Wala ~ wax in the ear for all to see. Gross. My kids kept laughing. My ears was pilau. I could hear much better.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Yeah, but did you read the Cecil Adams article? He said they lit one of the cones without putting it in anyone's ear and the cone still filled up with wax.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

no scriv. I didn't. i speak from experience...the bugga work. my ears had uka pila wax! my kid's in comparison ~ hardly any. i didn't "hear" the end of it for weeks.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

On the side of physics, I can't imagine that thing working. Pulling oxygen is one thing, pulling wax is another especially if there isn't an open port on the other side of the ear canal to allow differential pressure to remain consistant as the wax is being pulled.

If the action is wicking where the canal is open and not sealed shut by the candle, then I can see some virtue there but you gotta a ton of wax for that to happen and the wax has to be be in a molten state before any wicking can occur much like the pool of liquid wax surrounding the wick embedded in a wax candle. If the wax is dry (depends on your diet) then I can't see this candle working. If it's damp then it could very well work.

I just use the bobby pin and prey I don't yank out some of the gray matter in the process
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                          Yeah, but did you read the Cecil Adams article? He said they lit one of the cones without putting it in anyone's ear and the cone still filled up with wax.
                          Yes I did see in his ear before and after...

Before... plenty wax....
                          After... Just a small piece of wax that we were able to physically pull out w/ tweezers.

He himself even said he felt much better....

I think the reason why it might not have worked properly for lyle galdeira...is that he may not have had a tight seal at the base of his ear.

As far as Cecil Adams report... I also think that maybe she did not have a tight seal...
                          there for...the wax that she reported seeing the first time... I believe was just the candles natural wax...and not the actual ear wax.

If it is not done properly....then of course it won't work...

As far as the comment on the long hair.... the problem can be prevented by using a towel around the person's hair as if they were drying it after a shower....

The process does take about 30 minutes per ear...so if your not patient and do not have someone there to help you with a tight seal at all times... I could see it not having the best of effects....however I saw it done properly...and it did work!!!
                          Last edited by damontucker; November 26, 2005, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            On the side of physics, I can't imagine that thing working. Pulling oxygen is one thing, pulling wax is another especially if there isn't an open port on the other side of the ear canal to allow differential pressure to remain consistant as the wax is being pulled.

If the action is wicking where the canal is open and not sealed shut by the candle, then I can see some virtue there but you gotta a ton of wax for that to happen and the wax has to be be in a molten state before any wicking can occur much like the pool of liquid wax surrounding the wick embedded in a wax candle. If the wax is dry (depends on your diet) then I can't see this candle working. If it's damp then it could very well work.

I just use the bobby pin and prey I don't yank out some of the gray matter in the process
                            yes... they did soften the wax up in his ear with some "warmish water"... swooshing it around...

However, I think that the heat from the candle and the Vacuum was enough to "pull" the wax out...

While it was being done to him... I had to ask..."Do you feel the wax being pulled out" his reply... was....."No, can't feel it actually pulling....but I can hear like a bubbling sound that sounds like something might be happening in there..."

We actually burned 2 candles.... one on the infected ear...one on the non-infected ear... infected ear had much more wax in the cone after they were burned...therefore blowing Cecil Adams theory.

Comment

Hmmm I guess the only way to see if the wax in the candle is indeed earwax and not just melted wax from the candle itself is to taste it... no?

Comment

Working...
                              X