Genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetics

I'm hoping that some of you more scientific peeps can help me with these questions.

1: Can two blue-eyed parents have a brown-eyed baby? (Not adopting!)

2: Can a child of a Black parent and a haole parent look completely haole? I always thought the Black gene was dominant.
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Re: Genetics

Originally posted by Mokihana
    I'm hoping that some of you more scientific peeps can help me with these questions.

2: Can a child of a Black parent and a haole parent look completely haole? I always thought the Black gene was dominant.

1. Yes. If both parents are carrying genes for brown eyes, the kid can have brown eyes. I can explain it in more depth, if you want.

2. Your genetic makeup is your "genotype." What you look like as a result of your genotype is your "phenotype." (I just felt like saying that.)

If your mom's genotype is derived from generations of Africans or Caribbeans and your dad's genotype is derived from generations of light-skinned Northern Europeans, your phenotype will be somewhere along the spectrum between the two "extremes" because the genes for skin color work in a way that genes for, say, eye color do not. If your mom has blue eyes and your dad has brown eyes, you aren't going to have an eye color that looks like a cross between blue and brown. But skin color is different. The offspring of a black person and a white person *generally* isn't going to look "all black" or "all white."

However, a lot of people of African ancestry (in the U.S., Africa and elsewhere) are quite light-skinned, in part because of regional differences within that continent and in part because of long-ago pairing up with Europeans or white Americans. The offspring of a lighter-skinned person of African descent and a light-skinned person of Northern European descent can be pretty "white"-looking. And the offspring of a darker-skinned person of African descent and a person of European descent might look like a "pure black" person because of the great variation in skin color among blacks, while actually being lighter than the dark-skinned parent.

I guess if the black parent were really light-skinned, the offspring could look "haole," whatever you mean by that. I hope my answer makes sense. I'm pretty tired right now (still at work), so excuse me if I'm rambling nonsensically.

Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where Elaine couldn't figure out if the guy she was dating was white or black?

Comment

It depends on whose genes are dominant, I thought. And the recessive gene can come out too even afta generations, so two blue eyes can have a brown eye.

There was a segment of TV recently, I forget whose show was but Black Dad and White Mom had twin girls; one came out with mostly da black genes da ada one with mostly the white genes. The white twin said even if she married a white guy its possilbe for her to have a totally black child, you never know.

I've seen Black & White parents come out with totally white baby so da Dad no believe. So of course they gotta go on Maury or Montel for DNA testing.
      ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Speaking of genetics, do y'all know about the newly-consolidated distributed computing site called BOINC? You can let your computer do work for various scientific projects in the background. One of them is Rosetta, doing gene work; here's the entire list:

# Climateprediction.net: study climate change
        # Einstein@home: search for gravitational signals emitted by pulsars
        # LHC@home: improve the design of the CERN LHC particle accelerator
        # Predictor@home: investigate protein-related diseases
        # Rosetta@home: help researchers develop cures for human diseases
        # SETI@home: Look for radio evidence of extraterrestrial life
        # Cell Computing biomedical research (Japanese; requires nonstandard client software)
        # World Community Grid: advance our knowledge of human disease. (Requires 5.2.1 or greater)

I've been running SETI for years. That project has just been consolidated with these other ones (they're out of Berkeley).
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Typically the mother holds the cards in passing genetics. She has a 1-in-2 chance that she will pass on identical genetics to her offspring, 1-in-4 that she will pass on part of it, and 1-in-4 chance that her off spring will not show any characteristics of her genetics but that child will be a bearer for her offspring to develop. That is why some grandkids look closer to their grandparents than their own parents. It's called generation skipping.

My second youngest kid looks just like my dad when he was younger. None of my other kids bear any resemblance to my dad but look more like me. None look like my wife though. What genetics did my wife pass onto my kids? Obviously the intelligence part. Hey she was smart enough to marry me right?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Here's my non-scientific 2 cents (plus gas cap law, bottle bill fee & excise tax)

I'm a physical and intellectually striking image of my father.

Psychologically I pull more of mom's side... the "Hawaiian Heart" factor. Some physical resemblance... suttle, but enough to know I'm her son.

I'm just afraid I pull more from dad in the cardiological department. His side is notorious for vascular problems. I exercise regurlarly, yet still my blood pressure is higher than ideal. Maybe gotta' lay off da' salt, eat more fruit and drink more Goji Juice.

As for eye color, my sister had brown eyes when she was young, then developed Hazel eyes as she grew older. Exactly like mom.

Sometimes it's not only the genetic factor, but lifestyle, education and medical technology.

Another angle to dissect is the separation and/or distinction between genes, ethnicity, culture and geography as it relates to humans.

Genetic Cloning is also worth a further look.

Just remember what CW said, "You can't be Hawaiian if you work for Aloha".
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Typically the mother holds the cards in passing genetics. She has a 1-in-2 chance that she will pass on identical genetics to her offspring, 1-in-4 that she will pass on part of it, and 1-in-4 chance that her off spring will not show any characteristics of her genetics but that child will be a bearer for her offspring to develop.
              Craig, honey, you need to crack open a book on genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                1. Yes. If both parents are carrying genes for brown eyes, the kid can have brown eyes. I can explain it in more depth, if you want.

2. Your genetic makeup is your "genotype." What you look like as a result of your genotype is your "phenotype." (I just felt like saying that.)

If your mom's genotype is derived from generations of Africans or Caribbeans and your dad's genotype is derived from generations of light-skinned Northern Europeans, your phenotype will be somewhere along the spectrum between the two "extremes" because the genes for skin color work in a way that genes for, say, eye color do not. If your mom has blue eyes and your dad has brown eyes, you aren't going to have an eye color that looks like a cross between blue and brown. But skin color is different. The offspring of a black person and a white person *generally* isn't going to look "all black" or "all white."

However, a lot of people of African ancestry (in the U.S., Africa and elsewhere) are quite light-skinned, in part because of regional differences within that continent and in part because of long-ago pairing up with Europeans or white Americans. The offspring of a lighter-skinned person of African descent and a light-skinned person of Northern European descent can be pretty "white"-looking. And the offspring of a darker-skinned person of African descent and a person of European descent might look like a "pure black" person because of the great variation in skin color among blacks, while actually being lighter than the dark-skinned parent.

I guess if the black parent were really light-skinned, the offspring could look "haole," whatever you mean by that. I hope my answer makes sense. I'm pretty tired right now (still at work), so excuse me if I'm rambling nonsensically.
                This makes sense. I have a friend; she and her hubby both have blue eyes; two of their kids have blue eyes, and one has brown eyes. She has always felt like she has a different father than the other two because of her brown eyes. It has caused a lot of unhappiness in her life.

2: I have friends; she is haole, he's black, and though not really really dark-skinned, wouldn't pass for half haole. His wife is haole; dark hair and kinda olive skin, but definitely haole. They just had their first baby, who looks totally haole... fair skin, blue eyes.

Originally posted by GypsyLika
                I've seen Black & White parents come out with totally white baby so da Dad no believe. So of course they gotta go on Maury or Montel for DNA testing.
                I hope dey no run into dis kine problem! Even w/o Maury or Montel!
                Aloha,
                Mokihana

Comment

Yeah to what MadAzza said! Also, that brought to mind the old dominant/recessive human traits that all of us possess.

Here's a link to some of the common ones:

http://www.sonic.net/~nbs/projects/bio115l/form.html

I'm homozygous recessive for everything except the eyes and colorblindness.

Comment

I put in only the one for the blue eyes (iris color)... checking only the box for "me" having brown eyes. The test came back and said I was adopted! So... how could my friend's kid have blue eyes? She wasn't adopted.
                    Aloha,
                    Mokihana

Comment

My great grand-mother blue-greenish eyes, red hair (maternal)
                      My grand mother, hazel eyes, light brown hair (maternal)
                      My mother, light brown eyes, red hair
                      Me, drk. brown eyes, drk. brown hair
                      My son-inlaw, brown eyes. Dark brown hair. My daughter too.

My grandson, light charcoal/hazel eyes. Light brown hair

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I put in only the one for the blue eyes (iris color)... checking only the box for "me" having brown eyes. The test came back and said I was adopted! So... how could my friend's kid have blue eyes? She wasn't adopted.
                        For info specifically on genes and inheriting eye color--this is much more specific and includes explanations:
                        http://www.seps.org/cvoracle/faq/eyecolor.html

I found this one too, which has the same info. but better illustrating graphics:
                        http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=2

I'm assuming that both brown eyed parents are heterozygous for the blue-eyed allele and that both passed on the recessive blue allele to their kid. I'm assuming that the kid is upset because nobody in the family has brown eyes? There are high odds for brown eyes being dominant the majority of the time, but this is the only thing I can think of. Someone WAY back, if not in the current living family, had to have had blue eyes on both sides of the family, then married into the brown eyed family on both sides, resulting in majority brown eyed children but both sides carrying that recessive blue allele that was never expressed until this one child finally happened to inherit that blue allele from both sides. Hope this helps...

Oh yeah, and to answer your second question...there are stories from times when slavery still existed of kids passing themselves as haole though they were born of one haole parent and one black parent, as well as people from post-slavery times who "looked haole."

--See movie "The Human Stain" adapted from a book about a professor (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/bac...20040117.shtml)

--books ( http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/mulatto/ )

--black entertainers/actresses playing haole or "exotic" characters on screen or portrayed as trying to pass as haole in a prejudiced world like "Imitation of Life" with Freddi Washington (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025301/) and (http://www.aaregistry.com/african_am..._with_depth___) or Lina Horne

--http://www.racematters.org/passingforwhite.htm

--http://www.bc.edu/publications/bcm/summer_2003/ft_passing.html

--The children of Sally Hemmings: "Sally Hemings' children were light-skinned, and three of them (daughter Harriet and sons Beverly and Eston) lived as members of white society as adults." (http://www.monticello.org/plantation...on_contro.html)
                        Last edited by AbsolutChaos; November 28, 2005, 05:08 AM.

Comment

That helps a lot! Mahalo for the links. Both parents in #1 are blue eyed, but who knows what was before that. As for #2, I expect the baby will have brown eyes, and probably will be able to pass for haole. I sure appreciate all the info!
                          Aloha,
                          Mokihana

Comment

OK here is one for anyone to answer for me. I am white (ALL THE WAY) my sons dad is black (ALL THE WAY). Now our son came out white with curly cury hair (blonde)and blue eyes. Now you can tell he has black in him by some of his looks, but yup his dad is in question. Yes a DNA is on its way to him. He is currently in prison, so of course he has no choice. So can anyone tell me WHY on Gods green earth does he look like he do?

Comment

Having a black father in no way prevents your son from having blonde hair or blue eyes, it only lessens the chances. Let's hope he takes after his father as little as possible. Way to pick 'em, hun. Why are you bothering to prove paternity to a man in prison?
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                              X