HT Recipes: Entree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT Recipes: Entree

This is the place for Hawaii Threads members to share your favorite entree recipes.

The entree is the central focus of the dining experience. Some make it a salad, some make it a roast. whichever suits your fancy, the entree is it.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Rack of Lamb

Through personal dining experiences and a little online research, I came up with the following recipe. It's pretty much the classic French style, except for the addition of the Panko. The trick is to sear the lamb rack before adding the dijon and bread crumbs so you get a nice seared flavor without burning the coating. Rack of Lamb roasted medium-rare with rosemary and mint jelly is a marriage made in heaven. ~ Pomai

Rosemary-Panko Crusted Rack of Lamb
    Serves 2
    • Lamb Rack, full (8 ribs)
    • Dijon Mustard, 1/2 cup
    • White Wine, any variety
    • Rosemary (fresh sprigs), 1/2 cup chopped fine
    • Shallots (Onion is fine also), 1 tbsp. minced fine
    • Garlic, 1 tbsp. minced fine
    • Panko (Japanese bread crumbs), 1/2 cup
    • Olive Oil, 2 tbsp.
    • Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper
    • Mint Jelly, 4 tbsp.
    • Rosemary sprig and Mint Leaves, fresh for garnish

Preheat oven at 475 degrees.

Coat lamb rack with white wine then season well with salt & pepper. Add olive oil to sautee pan on stove top and set on high. Add seasoned full lamb rack to pan and brown meat side down. Continue to brown the sides and underside of meat portion (this adds and seals in the flavor). Remove from pan and set aside.

Mix minced garlic & shallots into the dijon mustard. Coat the meat-side of rack with the dijon mustard mixture.

In a separate bowl, combine chopped rosemary and panko. Then roll the dijon-coated side of lamb rack into the rosemary-panko mixture. You'll be coating just the meat side (one side).

Place prepared lamb rack in roasting pan meat-side up and roast for 20-25 minutes for medium rare (ideal) or about 30 minutes for medium. Depending on your oven, the breadcrumb coating may brown sooner than the lamb will finish. If this happens, cover that portion with aluminum foil.

Remove from oven and let the lamb rack "rest" for 10 minutes.

Cut the lamb along the ribs into 4 pieces with 2 bones on each cut (4 ribs total/person).

Plate it with a small dollop of mint jelly on each cut of lamb, along with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh steamed asparagus. Garnish with a sprig of fresh Rosemary and Mint Leaves.

Wine of choice: Cabernet Souvignon

Bon Appétit.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Kalua Pig in Da' Imu

Kalua Pig in da' Imu is a family tradition for us. It really isn't any secret. It's simply a labor of love. Today, many get by with liquid smoke in the oven, which I must admit, is "just as good as da' imu" if done right. Still, part of the true Hawaiian Luau experience is Kalua Pig in da' Imu. Every element listed below is important. If you don't have all of the stuff required, don't even try. Poho. The trick to doing this right is starting the fire. Build a pyramid of coral rocks and Kiawe and get that thing going until the rocks are RED HOT.

This is how we do it, which I learned from my Kupuna. Your family may have other methods, but this is ours. Honestly, if you try this method, I can almost guarantee (how's that for confidence?) that it will come out da' best Kalua Pig you ever tried!

IMU KALUA PIG

• Whole Pig (BIG), cleaned and ready. Optional: Turkey(s), frozen
      • Hawaiian Salt
      • Newspaper, crumpled
      • Kindling wood (basically any kind of firewood to get the Kiawe started; sometimes we use charcoal)
      • Kiawe Wood, dried and chopped in random pieces. This is the foundation of the flavor. This, along with the Ti Leaves are what separate Kalua Pig from mainland style Pulled Pork.
      • Coral rocks from the sea, choke (more porous, the better)
      • Banana Stump, chopped and/or slivered
      • Ti Leaves, choke.. no scade
      • Burlap Bags, soaked in water (this is hard to find nowadays, so ask someone who get)
      • 3-mil Polysheeting or an old tarp
      • Lighter Fluid (optional)
      • 4"x4" dimensional lumber post (this will only be used to build the fire; don't burn it!)
      • Poultry (chicken) wire. Enough to wrap da' pig. Also wire to tie the legs up.
      • Pitch Fork & Shovel (and back hoe if you have one)
      • A yard large enough to have an Imu without burning your house down

1.) Dig da' Imu pit. Make it deep and large enough to fit the pig, fire source and other stuff.
      2.) Set the 4"x4" post standing in the middle of the pit. Either dig a hole to stand it or use something to support it straight up, like some wire.
      3.) throw crumpled newspaper around 4x4 post at bottom of pit.
      4.) Layer kindling wood over newspaper. This is where you start to build a pyramid around the post.
      5.) Layer Kiawe wood over kindling wood. Choke 'em. No scade.
      6.) Layer coral rocks over Kiawe wood. Choke 'em. No scade.
      7.) Remove 4x4 post. You should have a "puka" in the middle of the stack of wood and rocks. The puka is necessary, as this creates a convection of oxygen for the fire. You can try without the 4x4 method, but that's how I was taught, and it works great.
      8.) Pour some lighter fluid down da puka and a little over the entire pile of rocks and wood, then light it. Let it go until the kindling wood is ashed, kiawe is going and rocks are scorching red hot. Literally, RED HOT.
      9.) Prepare the pig by GENEROUSLY lomi'ing (rubbing) Hawaiian salt on the outside and inside areas of pig.
      10.) Using the shovel, grab some of the HOT ROCKS from da' Imu and Stuff ALL CAVITIES of the pig, including mouth, armpits and insides. This is important, as it distributes the heat evenly throughout the pig.
      11.) Tie up legs to "close" the pig up, then wrap the whole pig in poultry (chicken) wire, BELLY UP. This will make it easier to remove when it's tender and done.
      13.) Back to the imu: spread the hot Kiawe and coral rocks around the bottom of Imu pit, forming a "nest" for the pig to lay in.
      14.) Over the Kiawe and rocks, layer the chopped/slivered/shredded (howeavah you went cut 'em) Banana stumps. This will create a protective heat barrier for the pig. Important!
      15.) Over the banana stumps, layer choke Ti Leaves. This provides the flavor for the pig.
      16.) Place the pig (wrapped in chicken wire) over the bed of all that stuff I just said, BACK DOWN, BELLY UP.
      17.) Whew. That was alot of work so far, but it's fun! Still, you going get aunties telling you.. "eh, I like throw my Turkey in there". Fine. Take a WHOLE TURKEY in FROZEN state. NOT THAWED!... If you put a thawed Turkey in, it will overcook. O.K., rub Hawaiian Salt on the buggah. Then wrap it in heavy-gauge tin foil. This is important. If you don't wrap it in foil, it's going to taste like PIG, and you don't want that! Or do you? Whatevahz. Place the salted and foil-wrapped Turkey(s) and place 'em around the pig.
      18.) Cover the pig (and turkeys, if get) with choke, choke, choke Ti Leaves.
      19.) Cover that heap of stuff in da Imu with WET burlap bags. This is important also, as it creates steam, providing moisture in the imu.
      20.) Final step! Cover the entire imu with the polysheeting, draping it over and several feet from the edge of the pit. Throw the dirt you dug up to make the pit over the polysheeting, basically weighing it down. What you're doing here is creating a "lid" to seal in the heat and steam. Make sure no steam (heat) escapes. This will be going for a long time, while you're uncles stay drinking beer or at church, and you're either on the Playstation or sleeping. Let it go for about 10 hours for a large pig. A small pig will take only about 5 hours. We time it by what we doing. If we busy, we let 'em go longer, and pray da' buggah come out ono. It always does!

Oh. We not pau yet. After about 10 hours for that huge pig, remove it. Place on a large table and remove from chicken wire. Shred, place meat in steam trays on sterno, serve and enjoy. If get, do the same for the turkey(s).

Pass the poi please. I get first dibs at da' skin brah! Wait, I going moi moi. Tired do all that work. Next post, oven method.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Kalua Pig in Da' Imu

Originally posted by Pomai
        [I]Kalua Pig in da' Imu is a family tradition for us. It really isn't any secret. It's simply a labor of love.[...]
        WOW! While I'll never try this (my condo building might get all huhu!) thanks so much for taking the time to share it, Pomai. I'd never seen the recipe and method in writing and was fascinated to read yours. I woulda given you a greenie but I have to spread more reputation around first!

Comment

Re: Kalua Pig in Da' Imu

Originally posted by Pomai
          [I]Kalua Pig in da' Imu is a family tradition for us.
          Man I miss those days. Since my gramps who raised pigs passed away in '81 we haven't done it as a yearly family thing. Sad. We did everything, from killing the pig (gotta save the blood! ) to taking it out of the imu. I miss picking and eating the skin stuck on the chicken wire .

Comment

Re: HT Recipes: Entree

This method came from a local hotel chef (formerly of Hilton Hawaiian Village) who prepared it for an occasional Luau menu. The trick in this recipe is to apply enough, yet not too much Hawaiian Salt and Liquid Smoke. You have the ball. I've made it many times and trust me, this one tastes just as good as Imu Kalua Pig! But eh, no tell eh! ~ Pomai

"As Good as Da' Imu"
            OVEN-BAKED KALUA PIG

• Pork Butt, Thawed. Any size/weight, as long as it can fit in pan. Choose one that has plenty of fat, bone-in. Major flavor enhancer!
            • Liquid Smoke. That small brown bottle with the yellow lable. Vital to this recipe.
            • Hawaiian Salt
            • Ti Leaves, stems cut off, enough to envelope your Pork Butt. Also Important! Why? Flavor. Flavor. Flavor. Don't have Ti leaves? Forget it.
            • Heavy-duty Aluminum Foil
            • Large baking pan with wire rack
            • Water

1.) Preheat oven at 275 degrees.
            2.) Place a large piece of tin foil on countertop.
            3.) Arrange Ti leaves slightly overlapped on tin foil. The idea here is to wrap the whole Pork Butt.
            4.) Place Pork Butt on that.
            5.) Slowly pour liquid smoke over Pork Butt and lightly coat and lomi all sides; let the run-off drip on the Ti leaves.
            6.) Hawaiian Salt. Plenty of it. Lomi into the Pork Butt. No scade!
            7.) Wrap it up! First you have the Pork butt seasoned in Liquid Smoke & Hawaiian Salt. Second the Ti Leaves, then the Aluminum foil. The idea is to have the meat covered completely with the Ti Leaves (major flavor contributor), and sealed by the foil to keep the steam and smoke flavor in.
            8.) Place the foil and Ti Leaf-wrapped Pork in a large baking pan with a rack in it, then fill pan about 1/4 full with water. Cover the entire pan and Pork with another large sheet of foil to SEAL in the steam. Place pan in 275 degree oven for approx. 7 hours.
            9.) After time is up, check the meat. If it pulls easily with a fork, then it's done.
            10.) Shred the meat in serving pan, then adjust the flavor by adding Hawaiian Salt.
            11.) Buss' out da' Poi and enjoy.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Quick Spam Loco Moco Bake

1 doz Eggs
              1 lb Hamburger
              1 can Spam
              4 C Cooked sticky rice
              2 12 oz jars beef gravy (or homemade if you got time)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown ground beef until done and drain. Grease a 13x9 pan with butter or cooking spray. Spread 4 cups of cooked sticky rice on the bottom of the pan. Then layer half the length of the pan with browned ground beef and the other half with sliced Spam. Crack all 12 eggs over the meat so they are evenly distributed (trying to keep yolks in tact if you can). Put pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until eggs look to your liking. Then pour on gravy so it covers the whole top of the pan and put it back in the oven covered in foil for another 5 minutes. Serve with Aloha Shoyu, ketchup, teriyaki sauce or alone. "Fine tune" it with whatever you like. Great for easy breakfasts or to take to a gathering. Serves 8 (unless you REAL hungry! Then four!)

To lighten it up a bit, use 80 or 90% lean burger, drain and rinse it. Use Spam Lite. Heinz Fat Free Savory Beef Gravy tastes ono with it. You can also take the egg yolks out if you're really trying to be good--or at least out of half the eggs.

Comment

Somebody gave me a batch of "Hooligan" aka smelt (thankfully already gutted and beheaded). The main way I can think of to cook it is floured, salt and pepper, fried served with lemon. Anyone get any other good recipes for smelt? Again, not cookbook or googled recipes. I want the kine you make for your family and is ono recipes

Comment

I'll admit not having the darndest idea what Smelt is until now. The name itself sounds like some variation of a Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Or, the past tense of "smell".

Looks like a common preparation method is to dredge it in flour and deep fry it.

Ever try Iriko (Japanese dried Anchovy), fried with shoyu and served on rice with Poi on da' side? Winnahz!
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

heh, I don't like eating anything that's looking back at me. Something about knowing iriko includes not just eyes but organs and bones sort of squicks me enough that I don't usually eat it (not that I've never eaten it but it's not my favorite thing).

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                      heh, I don't like eating anything that's looking back at me.
                      Me neither. That's why I usually buy the small Iriko. You can tell less that it's fish. You can feel the bones and "guts" as you bite into the larger ones. {{{willies}}}
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ack! *shudder* Luckily, my fishies were gut-free. The bones I could deal with. But salt and pepper and flour and fried worked really well.

Comment

My Moms Evil Meatloaf

Take small block of cheese. Wrap favorite meatloaf around cheese. Wrap bacon around meatloaf. Cook til done, eat.
                          I think Strawberry Fields had a mini-meatloaf that was like this, but as far as I know my mom did it before them.
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                            My Moms Evil Meatloaf

Take small block of cheese. Wrap favorite meatloaf around cheese. Wrap bacon around meatloaf. Cook til done, eat.
                            I think Strawberry Fields had a mini-meatloaf that was like this, but as far as I know my mom did it before them.
                            I wouldn't say that's Evil unless you deep fried the cheese first, then deep fried the whole meatloaf instead of baking it.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

mMMM deep fried meatloaf...
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                              X