Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies I Really Like that Aren't on DVD Yet

I mean, you know, older movies.
    • Animalympics. This was a nice cartoon with a great soundtrack by 10cc.
    • The Barbarians. Peter and David Paul were twin bodybuilders who starred in this hilarious, stupid fantasy. Mindlessly amusing.
    • Goin' Coconuts. Donnie, Marie, and Hawaii. What else do you need? Seriously, I don't get why this isn't on DVD -- I know I'm not the only Donnie-and-Marie fan who saw this more than once!
    • The Great Brain. One begins to wonder if the Osmonds themselves are keeping these things off DVD; this time, it's Jimmy getting the shaft. This is no example of great cinema, but it's a great kids' movie and much better than a lot of the other crap that gets put out for kids today.
    • Heart of Darkness. This is a very good television adaptation of Joseph Conrad's novella with Tim Roth as Marlow and John Malkovich as Kurtz. It was out on LaserDisc, but surprisingly still unavailable on DVD.
    • Here Come the Tigers. This awful piece of garbage was good enough for me to enjoy at least twenty times when I was in elementary school and didn't know better. It's a vulgar rip-off of The Bad News Bears and really not worthy of a DVD release, but I'm sure enough people would buy it to make it profitable.
    • Hugo the Hippo. Burl Ives, Paul Lynde, Jimmy Osmond, and Marrie Osmond provide voices for this film I remember nothing about except that I liked it. Oh, and I think there was a song that helped me remember always how to spell "Hippopotamus."
    • The Land that Time Forgot. Its sequel was actually better, but this was a pretty fun movie about people getting lost in time and having to escape gigantic dinosaurs. This would have been a great MST3K movie.
    • The Mouse and his Child. I remember loving this animated flick about a wind-up toy that searches for someone to make him self-winding. Saw it again in college and couldn't believe how dark it was. Voices by Peter Ustinov, Cloris Leachman, Sally Kellerman, and Cliff Osmond (!).
    • On the Right Track. It's Gary Coleman as a homeless boy who can pick triples at the race-track. I was almost sure Kari Michaelsen (the hot blonde from Gimme a Break) was in this, but maybe that was the other Gary Coleman movie I liked.
    • One on One. I know a lot of guys my age who really liked this. Robbie Benson, Annette O'Toole, and Melanie Griffith are in this pretty-good basketball movie. Why do they always mess up a good sports movie with that romance stuff?
    • The Shaggy D.A.. How in the world can this not be on DVD? I'm shocked. Tim Conway, Suzanne Pleshette, Dick Van Patten, and the legendary Vic Tayback! There should be NO Suzanne Pleshette movies unavailable on DVD.
    • Tomboy. I won't comment on this one, except to say that it's worth a rental or two.
    • Under the Yum Yum Tree. Amusing Jack Lemmon / Carol Lynley picture that I'm suprised doesn't get shown on television very much. A nice, sweet film.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Movies I Really Like that Aren't on DVD Yet

Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers: Babylon 5 fans are still waiting to fill their DVD collections with this last movie.

Hawaii Five-0 - Cocoon: This is the premiere movie that kicked off the long running TV series. The series itself is not on DVD either.

The Love War: Cheesey made for TV movie about a war between alien invaders.

Crack in the World: A scifi movie about a geothermal drilling project gone amuck.

Mothra: This movie is known in Japan as "Mosura", but in the U.S. as "Mothra". It is from the same studio as the Godzilla movies, most of which are on DVD. Why is this on VHS but not on DVD? Gotta love "The Peanuts" who sing that captivating Mothra theme song.

Let It Be: The Beatles' last hurrah. IMDB says its out, but when you click on the DVD link, it goes to Amazon and says movie is unavailable.

The Savage Innocents: Anthony Quinn stars in this movie about an Eskimo family's life in the outback.

The Hawaiians: This is kind of a sequel to the 1966 movie "Hawaii". Stars Charlton Heston and is a fictionalized account of some of the history of the islands in the late 1800s.

And yes, I echo the sentiment on the lack of Osmonds' movies on DVD. What's up with that?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I guess my list for the time being would include Telfon, Raise the Titanic, and The Medusa Touch. These are movies from the late 70's and early 80's.

Comment

I can't believe Mothra's not out on DVD. That Crack in the World flick actually looks pretty good.

Helen, I hate to break this to you, but Raise the Titanic kinda sucked.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          Hawaii Five-0 - Cocoon: This is the premiere movie that kicked off the long running TV series. The series itself is not on DVD either.
          If there was one episode from HI-5-0 I could have from the series, it would have to be the one titled, I think, "The $100,000 Nickel". That episode was probably one of the more light-hearted HI-5-0s. The story of that particluar episode follows the travels of one of the famous 1913 USA Liberty Head nickels ( a coin which has only five known specimens and is now worth millions) which was stolen from a coin dealer visiting Honolulu, and somehow ended up in circulation! The poor HI-5-0 team had to track this nickel down as it got spent, lost, picked up on a sidewalk, etc. Ultimately, if I recall, justice prevailed, the bad guys got caught, and the coin was returned to its rightful owner. It was one of the more fun episodes!

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            The Savage Innocents: Anthony Quinn stars in this movie about an Eskimo family's life in the outback.
            Just had to say something about Anthony Quinn: I knew him! Well...on a waving basis!

Anthony Quinn lived here in Bristol, RI on a very secluded, hard to get to, private peninsula known locally as Poppasquash Point. The peninsula is a long, narrow piece of land, about 2 miles long, that juts out into Narragansett Bay. Like I mentioned, the entire peninsula is private land, with public access controlled by a guard stationed at a gate at its north end. The entire length of the peninsula has private estates built up on it; most of the properties are a multi-million dollar mansions with spectacular views of Narragansett Bay, the Newport Bridge, and the Atlantic Ocean far off in the distance. Other celebrities who have property back there are Ira Magaziner (Clinton policy maker), the Hassenfeld Brothers (principle share holders of Hasbro Toys), and Kevin Costner.

Poppasquash Point is prime land for marathon training...one can run 4 miles, with varying terrian, with hardly any vehicle traffic, other than the occasional Rolls or Mercedes than passes by at 20 miles an hour. It's a running heaven for a guy like me. Only problem with it is that, again, it's private..I have to sneak by the guards to run back there. (There is one guard on duty sometimes who says nothing to me..evidently he thinks I live back there and he lets me through with no pilikia.)

I would often see Anthony Quinn go by in his auto, or sometimes out for a stroll on Poppasquash when he was alive. It got to the point that he recognized me after a while and we would exchange waves and "How 'ya doing" greetings, as I ran by. It never got any farther than that.

Quinn loved Bristol because people let him live his life in peace. He could go into town to the local newsstand, buy a paper, buy a coffee at the local donut shop..and about the most he get out of anybody was "Hey Tony..how 'ya doing? How 'bout them Sox?". He was often seen patronizing Bristol's stores and restaurants, and nobody ever bothered him. No autograph seekers, no papparazzi.

He loved Bristol so much, that he requested upon his death, he be buried on his estate, in the shade of some apple trees that grow abundantly on the property.

He was a well-known celebrity in this town, but nobody went out of their way to see him...it's just the way he liked it.

Comment

Song of the South... Why hasn't Disney released this classic film?

Outlander...Sean Connery

Sword and Sorcery....Great fantasy

Skateboard....Tony Alva was in this ! also an awesome soundtrack by Starship's Mickey Thomas.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

I wish they would put the TV comedy show "Fridays" on DVD. They didn't even put it on VHS Michael Richards and Melanie Chartoff in their early comedy days.

Comment

ok, there IS this movie...it was made in the mid 1980's. It was a thriller. About rich high school kids. And murder. And the killer liked to listen to opera, which would blare from the stereo of the murderer's fancy car.

...and damn if I cannot remember the flick's name. But it kept me hanging on until the twist at the end. Is this movie on dvd or not? I've no clue. But once I can find out the name of this movie, off to google it I go.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                    Song of the South... Why hasn't Disney released this classic film?

Outlander...Sean Connery

Sword and Sorcery....Great fantasy

Skateboard....Tony Alva was in this ! also an awesome soundtrack by Starship's Mickey Thomas.
                    Song of the South is unavailable in the U.S. because of the racial issues. You can buy it from the U.K I think, for an ungodly amount of money, but maybe just on vhs, not dvd.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                      Outlander...Sean Connery
                      Don't you mean Outland? Where Sean Connery plays a US Marshal on a mining station on another moon. DVD has been out for quite some time.

I remember another TV based movie that hasn't made it to DVD and it's called One of My Wives is Missing with Jack Klugman before doing his stint on the Quincy TV Series.

Comment

Thanks for the info Helen ....no wonder I couldn't find it
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers: Babylon 5 fans are still waiting to fill their DVD collections with this last movie.
                          I was recently notified that this movie will be coming out on DVD March 14, 2006.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

alohabear, i like your taste in movies i've never thought that outland was great but whenever it's on tv, i'm hooked and have to watch it again! (it's not upbeat but i particularly like the scene where he calls his wife and speaks to her and his son before what could be his last battle... great scene.)
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                              I mean, you know, older movies.

Goin' Coconuts. Donnie, Marie, and Hawaii. What else do you need? Seriously, I don't get why this isn't on DVD -- I know I'm not the only Donnie-and-Marie fan who saw this more than once!

Hey, and Wo Fat was in it too, right? (Or whatever the actor's name was. I never knew how to pronounce his name.) I saw that movie a long time ago when I was a kid and only recently was able to find "On The Shelf" on mp3! Now I roll up the car windows and crank that thing up. (But I make sure no one can see me singing along, "I'm like a dog without a bone...")

Comment

Working...
                              X