Haoleboy is lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haoleboy is lost

I'm glad to find this forum. I've looked through several others and this one seems to have a strong sense of ohana and much aloha. Which is good because I'm trying to figure out some sensitive things--multiculturalism generally and haoles specifically. As my profile says, I'm a professor on the Mainland, but grew up in two multicultural households on Oahu and am now turning my analytical gaze at my background. I graduated from Iolani School (odd how the alumni magazine makes one feel like a slacker), then UH Manoa, then to Illinois for graduate school and never found my way back to the islands (other than to visit family). So Haoleboy (what old members of my Hawaiian step-family used to call me) is lost and looks forward to interacting online with many of you.

Aloha,
    Marcus

Re: Haoleboy is lost

Aloha and Welcome Haoleboy to HT! See ya on the Boards!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha Haoleboy ~ Welcome to da Treads, you cannot be dat lost; you found dis place. Oh yeah and you wen grad UH so you smut (smart) hah.

Welcome to HT.
      ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Love the avatar

Welcome to the boards!
        myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusGriffin
          I'm glad to find this forum. I've looked through several others and this one seems to have a strong sense of ohana and much aloha. Which is good because I'm trying to figure out some sensitive things--multiculturalism generally and haoles specifically. As my profile says, I'm a professor on the Mainland, but grew up in two multicultural households on Oahu and am now turning my analytical gaze at my background. I graduated from Iolani School (odd how the alumni magazine makes one feel like a slacker), then UH Manoa, then to Illinois for graduate school and never found my way back to the islands (other than to visit family). So Haoleboy (what old members of my Hawaiian step-family used to call me) is lost and looks forward to interacting online with many of you.

Aloha,
          Marcus
          Howzit Marcus. Yeah, the Iolani alumni bulletin has gotten thicker and thicker over the years. It's one of Iolani's best marketing tools to parents of prospective and current students: Hey! Look at all the cool things your kids could be involved in! And look at all the prestigious alumni who've become Really Successful after attending our school! Our sky-high tuition is completely justifiable because your kid could be one of these highly successful people!

Comment

Wow, I was about to say that you must be OK if your local family calls you "Haole Boy." Anyone I have ever known who went by that name was one good guy. Usually locals who are called Haole Boy wear the name quite proudly.

Why did you change your user name?

Welcome to Hawaii Threads.

Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Thanks, gang. To answer some questions, I have used elsewhere Haoleboy as an online alias, but decided on my actual name here since 1) there may actually be people on the forum who know me from childhood--that would be cool and 2) I use the internet a lot in my teaching so there really isn't any point to hiding my identity and I figured if GlenMiyashiro could do it, so could I. I'm assuming that's his real name though. Of course, it could be a reference to the comedy routine/song by Frank DeLima back in the mid '70s. Whatevas.

So, Glen, you wen grad Iolani too?

I'll go check some the threads now. Laters.

Comment

Actually, I got to thinking of zztype's comment and decided to try haoleboy as a n alias. It actually is available, so I took it and will use it instead. I'll contact the admin to delete the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Haoleboy
                  Actually, I got to thinking of zztype's comment and decided to try haoleboy as a n alias. It actually is available, so I took it and will use it instead. I'll contact the admin to delete the other.
                  Woot!!!! Right on, brah!

By the way, though my username is "zztype" I routinely "sign" my posts with my real name, Blaine, and my signature links to my web site where anybody who wants to know can find out who I am. I no shame!

Aloha,

Blaine
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusGriffin
                    I figured if GlenMiyashiro could do it, so could I. I'm assuming that's his real name though. Of course, it could be a reference to the comedy routine/song by Frank DeLima back in the mid '70s. Whatevas.

So, Glen, you wen grad Iolani too?
                    Yup. Some folks say Iolani boys slow, Iolani no ka oi. But I don't mention it much, or tell Iolani stories, 'cuz then I'd give out enough info to pin me down as to my real name. Which is not Glen Miyashiro, but might as well be.

Comment

Aloha Professor Griffin, a.k.a. HaoleBoy.. or as we sometimes say, "Braddah Marcus"!

Your Honolulu Project research study looks interesting. Perhaps some us of here may be of help.

As for screen names, in light of "Glenn Miyashiro", you could always choose "Mr. Fogerty", a.k.a. "Mr. Frog Tree" from Rap Replinger's "Room Service" skit.

Anyhow, thanks for the nice introduction. See you around "here" soon!
                      Last edited by Pomai; November 29, 2005, 08:01 AM.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                        Aloha Professor Griffin, a.k.a. HaoleBoy.. or as we sometimes say, "Braddah Marcus"!

Your Honolulu Project research study looks interesting. Perhaps some us of here may be of help.

As for screen names, in light of "Glenn Miyashiro", you could always choose "Mr. Fogerty", a.k.a. "Mr. Frog Tree" from Rap Replinger's "Room Service" skit.

Anyhow, thanks for the nice introduction. See you around "here" soon!
                        Holy Shmoke, Pomai! I wish I had thought of that. That would have been CHOICE! And I was even thinking of that skit the other day when thinking about my haole research. But if I change the name again, admin will get all piss-off. Hopefully the 'ohana here can help on my Honolulu Project some time..at least tolerate questions. I'm frustrated that the agreement between my school and UH is taking a long time, so I won't be able to run it until 07. My school is acting up and UH is not pleased with the attitude from a tiny school on the mainland. Understandably. But that rant is for a different post.

And GlenMiyashiro, Iolani boyz no ka oi, but I actually wanted to go to Kam Schools. Probably something about wanting what you can't have...plus I was on scholarship at Iolani...hard to be cool with chicks when you have to date on using Uncle Frank's TheBus instead of a nice car. I won't pester you for nostalgia.

HaoleBoy

Comment

Auwe! Computers can be so confusing. I logged in automatically with the old alias!

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now.

HaoleBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Haoleboy
                            I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now.
                            Haoleboy and MarcusGriffin are now one. Welcome to the 'Threads!

Comment

Working...
                            X