PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing eating establishments

Pages : [1] 2 3

Albert
November 28th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Two restaurants which have been mentioned on this forum are gone.

"Marbella" has become the "777 Grill and Karaoke". I only went to Marbella once, wasn't much impressed. But I very much doubt I'll visit its successor.

"Cuisine Tony" is also gone. It began as a "fusion restaurant" with one of the most amusing menus in town. I loved the Saturn Pork Chops. Then it transformed into an ordinary Chinese family-style restaurant. Food was good, but not exceptional. Now it is "Pho One". Just what this town needs, another pho pusher. Must be good, though, because there are often people standing around outside waiting to get in at lunch time.

Pomai
November 28th, 2005, 10:22 AM
General Growth recently began making way for a new 200,000 sq. ft. 3-level Nordstrom Store, displacing many popular businesses that fronted Ala Moana Center on Kapiolani Blvd.

On that note, some may not be aware that Taiyo Ramen, So Gong Dong and Bakery Kapiolani have moved to new locations.

Taiyo Ramen has found a new location near Blockbuster on Piikoi.

So Gong Dong has found a new location in McCully Shopping Center.

Bakery Kapiolani is moving operations to their Aiea location.

Still, loyal customers who regularly walk their way to these establishments may find the new locations out of the way. Also, the lease rent for these businesses will be double to triple what they paid before.

See this article:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Oct/16/bz/FP510160306.html

oggboy
November 28th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Wal-Mart`s in town people.
Stay-tuned for the next phase, and the next BIG box that wants in,in,in.... :rolleyes:

adrian
November 29th, 2005, 10:30 AM
See this article:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Oct/16/bz/FP510160306.html
Da new store is dat big?

Where will college students park?

Erika Engle
April 29th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Helen's Chinese Food in Kapahulu to close Sunday, April 30.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/29/features/story01.html

Moto
April 29th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Erika. I wasn't aware that Helen's was closing tomorrow. I will have to work in a visit before then. Their Duck Noodle is the best.

glossyp
May 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM
One of my personal favorites closed its doors on Sunday. Jimmy's Lakeside Bakery Cafe in Wahiawa is no more. I will miss the pizza and Oahu's best French Dip sandwich. The good news is that their pastry and catering business, Signature Sweets & Catering, continues.

glossyp
June 10th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Another one gone. Deb's Ribs and Old School Soul Food closed. I'll miss her ribs, hush puppies and country fried potato salad. Her BBQ sauce is available at Sam's Clubs here and in SoCal.

Pomai
June 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I see the former KC Drive Inn is going to be the future home of First Hawaiian Bank.

Why so big and TALL though? Isn't their downtown tower enough for administrative offices?

I'm just glad it isn't going to be another damned storage facility, which is what the iron beam skeleton appears to look like. :(

WindwardOahuRN
June 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Another one gone. Deb's Ribs and Old School Soul Food closed. I'll miss her ribs, hush puppies and country fried potato salad. Her BBQ sauce is available at Sam's Clubs here and in SoCal.

I hadn't heard that it had closed. Sorry to hear it, but in all honesty, her food was a bit pricey. Very good, but just a wee bit too expensive for local take-out stuff.
I wish her luck. She's a nice lady---anyone know if she is still working at Castle?

Creative-1
June 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Yum Yum Tree just closed last year.

This is from a long time ago, but I used to go to Bluebird Drive-In in Pearl City in the 1970's. They've been gone a long time, but I could not recall just where they were.

Last week I was at the library and looked it up. It was 803 Kam Hwy. The building that holds Flamingo restaurant has that
address now. They say it was built in 1980.

When JC Penny's closed, I started making a list of well-known companies that closed since 1990. It started with just 15 but quickly became over 200 so I put it in my book.

It included places such as Arakawa's, Alex Drive-In, Andy's Drive-In, Byron II, Carol & Mary, Castagnola's, Dillingham, Following Sea, GEM, Gibson's, Hauoli, Holiday Mart, Honsport, Jolly Roger, Kelly's, Lyn's Delicatessen, King's Bakery, Kodak Hula Show, Mings, Mushashiya, Pottery, Spindrifter, Strawberry Connection, Suehiro, Swiss Inn, Tahitian Lanai, & Yick Lung. Sad.

BTW, there's only one Spencecliff left. There used to be 50. Who can name it?

Bob Sigall

Pomai
June 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Bob, are you going to publish a follow-up book to The Companies We Keep?! :rolleyes:

It was sad when the last Castagnola restaurant closed shop in Waikiki in that 2 second floor location of a Hotel/Condo across Ft. DeRussy. At the time, he was the best Italian in town.

lurkah
June 10th, 2006, 12:14 PM

The Hawaiian Hut restaurant in the Ala Moana Hotel.

Creative-1
June 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Bob, are you going to publish a follow-up book to The Companies We Keep?!I'm working on several concepts at the moment. All excite me, but I don't know which the public will respond to.

So I'm mocking up what they might look like and plan to show friends, bookstore owners and buyers and get their opinions.

What do you think?
1) The Companies We Keep - Volume 2 (I've collected more interesting Hawaii company stories, but need a lot more for a second book)

2) The Characters Behind the The Companies We Keep. (This would look at the lives, anecdotes and philosophies of well-known, interesting people in the islands).

3) The Companies We Keep Book of Games and Quizzes (there are 15 in my book now, and I've created almost 100 more for talks I've given. I've posted several here, such as Companies named for Movies, TV shows, Books and Songs)

4) Interesting stories about Hawaii Radio and TV stations (and the characters that have worked there).

5) Gift sized books about Hawaii Companies, Schools and Military. (These would be 5x7, maybe 70 pages long with lots of color pictures and short stories. Bookstores say they sell tons of these stocking-stuffers. I could probably come up with material to do one yearly for 10 or more years!)

Maybe I'll do all. I'm open to suggestions from all here at Hawaii Threads. What would YOU like to see? What would the public respond to best?

Aloha,

Bob Sigall

tutusue
June 10th, 2006, 12:45 PM
[...]Maybe I'll do all. I'm open to suggestions from all here at Hawaii Threads. What would YOU like to see? What would the public respond to best?[...]
All of 'em!!! Really!

Creative-1
June 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
All of 'em!!! Really!

Ok . . . which one first???

LikaNui
June 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I'll vote for this one:
2) The Characters Behind the The Companies We Keep. (This would look at the lives, anecdotes and philosophies of well-known, interesting people in the islands).
Best of luck to ya!

Creative-1
June 10th, 2006, 06:16 PM
The Hawaiian Hut restaurant in the Ala Moana Hotel.

The Hawaiian Hut was sold long ago when Spence Weaver was still alive. I think to an employee.

There's just one restaurant left. Any more guesses?

Pomai
June 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM
What do you think?
----->5) Gift sized books about Hawaii Companies, Schools and Military. (These would be 5x7, maybe 70 pages long with lots of color pictures and short stories. Bookstores say they sell tons of these stocking-stuffers. I could probably come up with material to do one yearly for 10 or more years!)
I'd go with this one. It excites me. The flexibility of subjects and photographic creativity would work well as time and history of business in Hawaii unfolds over the coming years. I'd buy it.

Your first book (http://www.companieswekeep.com/) covered most of the topics well enough in the other 4 concepts you proposed. The quiz concept does sound like a possiblility though.

tutusue
June 10th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Ok . . . which one first???
Which one is closest to being ready?

dick
June 10th, 2006, 07:47 PM
It was sad when the last Castagnola restaurant closed shop in Waikiki in that 2 second floor location of a Hotel/Condo across Ft. DeRussy. At the time, he was the best Italian in town.

Castagnola's went down the tubes after he moved from Manoa Marketplace. It was a good restaurant.

And when did Deb's close? I ate there like, last month.

speedtek
June 10th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Funny my friend is the guy who bought Spencecliff and change it. Long story. I dont think he would be too happy if I wrote about it. Example of the shock is when he changed the Ranch House into the Metro. oops! I told him it was a BAD IDEA! all the others hanging around him were yes men. how sad.

Man I loved Deb's ribs! she always gave me an extra ribs. I was just going to go there yesterday! I hope she opens somewhere else. Maybe I will go bug her daughter!

na alii
June 10th, 2006, 08:23 PM

Bob Sigall
Fisherman's Wharf

MadAzza
June 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Deb's in Kailua closed about a month ago. I loved her smothered chicken with cheese grits and macaroni & cheese. Oh, my God.

Yes, it was more expensive than some cheap-ass little plate lunch place (as someone mentioned awhile back) -- 'cause it was *real* food, soul food, something unique among all the boring rice-and-generic-fried-crap fare offered everywhere else.

Why, Deb? Whyyyyy?

Creative-1
June 11th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Fisherman's Wharf

Ding-ding-ding. We have a winner!

Yes, Fisherman's Wharf (opened in 1952) is the last of the chain started by Spence and Cliff Weaver in 1939 with Swanky Franky.

By the 1960's, Spencecliff was the biggest chain in town. Some of their places included: Coco’s (1960), Kelly’s, the Ranch House, Yacht Harbor Towers, Queen’s Surf (1949), South Seas, Tahitian Lanai (1956, served 16,000 orders of Eggs Benedict a year).

Pomai
June 11th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Growing up in Kaneohe, our family used to frequent a Spencecliff coffee shop that was open in Windward City Shopping Center for years. I can't remember what the exact name of that location was, but I do remember it had a Tiki theme. Was it Tiki Tops?

Creative-1
June 11th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Growing up in Kaneohe, our family used to frequent a Spencecliff coffee shop that was open in Windward City Shopping Center for years. I can't remember what the exact name of that location was, but I do remember it had a Tiki theme. Was it Tiki Tops?

Yes, Tiki Tops is where Flamingo is today. It opened in 1959, according to my information.

I have photos of Lex Brodie having meetings of his gas station crew there. He used to be the manager of the Chevron station at Tiki Tops before focusing on tires and moving to town.

Bob Sigall

I<3mydoggies
June 18th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks, no wonder when I went in the other day it looked different! :D There was a young couple running it, but they still had the huge gold fish! I just thought they were family who took over the business and renovated. I ordered the shrimp fried rice, different but good. They still carry the name and phone number, is that fair to unknowing customers? Same name and phone number, yet different style of cooking according to the article.

kimo55
June 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM
They still carry the name and phone number, is that fair to unknowing customers?
no! i wonder what legal recourse unknowing customers have?!

Linkmeister
June 18th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Ding-ding-ding. We have a winner!

Yes, Fisherman's Wharf (opened in 1952) is the last of the chain started by Spence and Cliff Weaver in 1939 with Swanky Franky.

By the 1960's, Spencecliff was the biggest chain in town. Some of their places included: Coco’s (1960), Kelly’s, the Ranch House, Yacht Harbor Towers, Queen’s Surf (1949), South Seas, Tahitian Lanai (1956, served 16,000 orders of Eggs Benedict a year).

Don't forget Popo's!

It was pretty lousy Mexican food, but it was the only Mexican food west of Kaimuki other than Mama's Mexican Kitchen on School and Mama's in Moanalua Shopping Center.

Creative-1
June 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Don't forget Popo's!

It was pretty lousy Mexican food, but it was the only Mexican food west of Kaimuki other than Mama's Mexican Kitchen on School and Mama's in Moanalua Shopping Center.

Few people know that Spencer and Clifton Weaver were the sons of one of the nation’s leading architects. Fullerton Weaver designed the Waldorf-Astoria, the Hotel Pierre in New York City, and the Breakers in Palm Beach.

The boys’ mother was Emily Stokes, a great beauty who won the U.S. Open in mixed doubles tennis one year. The family owned an estate in East Hampton, Long Island that was called "Spencecliff."

The father took the boys on an around the world trip and they fell in love with Hawaii. They later moved here and found a job as cafeteria workers at Pearl Harbor in the late 1930s.

In 1939, they opened Swanky Franky’s Hot Dog Stand on Ena Road. Swanky Franky’s Drive-inn opened a few months later where Singha Thai Cuisine is now.

After service in World War II, they formed the Spencecliff Corporation. The Sky Room, which opened in 1948, was atop the airport terminal at John Rogers Field, a great location with constant traffic. It was a fancy place with great steaks.

Next, they purchased M’s Ranch House (and dropped M’s) and then Fisherman’s Wharf in Kewalo Basin.

One of their most famous acquisitions, in 1949, was the Waikiki beach home of millionaire Christian Holmes, heir to the Fleischmann's Yeast fortune. They turned it into Queen’s Surf.

The Barefoot Bar, upstairs at the Queen’s Surf, was one of the most popular places in town. You couldn’t get in unless you knew someone. There was always a big line.

They also purchased the lease on the site of the Kau Kau Korner in 1960, much to the dismay of owner Sunny Sundstrom, who had run the place since 1935. They turned it into Coco’s.

Spencecliff was renowned for taking care of its employees, many of whom served over 20 years. For instance, each employee received a birthday cake on the day before his or her birthday. Then they got their birthday off with pay. This was no small feat, given that they had 1,400 employees!

tutusue
June 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Hot dang, Bob. Your posts are just soooooo interesting! Hmmm...please jog my short term memory. Is the Spencecliff story in your book? My copy's at home and I'm in town so I can't look it up. I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning!

Oh...and I heard from your mom!!! :D

kimo55
June 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM
ah, the brothers and queen's surf.
Sterling Mossman..
many stories there.

Creative-1
June 18th, 2006, 06:50 PM
ah, the brothers and queen's surf.
Sterling Mossman..many stories there.

Yes, Spencecliff is in my book and was one of the harder stories to research. The founders were gone. Their kids didn't know much about the business.

I finally found someone on the net who listed Spencecliff on his resume, and he directed me to the office manager who joined the firm in the late 1940s - Myuki Hyruby.

Also, I hired a yard guy and he was Sterling Mossman's son! Here's another excerpt about the Barefoot Bar:

Kula Mossman remembers being in the backup band for his late father, Sterling Mossman, the Hula Cop. “Dad loved entertaining,” Mossman recalls. “But being a cop paid the bills. Few remember that he was president of the HGEA. He was also a very generous man. He helped many get their careers going, including Don Ho, Danny Kaleikini, and this big guy who parked cars at Queen’s Surf named Zulu.”

Don Ho, who started his career at his mother’s bar, Honey’s in Kaneohe, began to sit in at the Barefoot Bar when Sterling Mossman took breaks. Local audiences followed Ho, and tourists began to take notice, too.

Sterling Mossman played at the Barefoot Bar from 1952 until 1969 when the city closed it so the beach could be expanded. “The last show, in December 1969 was huge,” Kula recalls.

“The place was packed with local and Hollywood celebrities. Dad was a very funny guy. I laughed at the same jokes every night, even though I knew the punch line. It was the way he told it.”

“Sterling Mossman was the Barefoot Bar,” Hruby says. “Mossman was a cop by day and an entertainer at night. He sang, danced the hula, and was a comedian. He was a very versatile man.”

jkpescador
July 24th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Does anyone know where the chef from Tokiwaya (a small eatery that was on Pensacola next to Subway) went? Tokiwaya was great to eat at. It was like gourmet Japanese bentos.

oceanpacific
July 31st, 2006, 01:22 PM
Spencecliff also ran Top's Waikiki, Top's Waipahu, and Prince Kuhio (Ala Moana Center makai street level).

Other restaurantswhich have gone by the wayside: Canlis; Cavalier (later, Marcus Steak House); Pearl City Tavern (seeing a Cutter car dealership there just kills me); Little George's; Quinton's; Quinton's Wharf; King Tsin; Arthur's (Ilikai Marina, downtown); Volk's Steak House (Pearlridge); the various Chuck's locations; the Bistro; Alioto's; Checkers; Bernard's Deli (he seemed to be doing well at Kahala Mall, but went down soon after re-locating at Ward Center); Trader Vic's (made way for the Honolulu Club).

In the restaurant business, only the strong survive.

D'Alani
July 31st, 2006, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=oceanpacific]Spencecliff also ran Top's Waikiki, Top's Waipahu, and Prince Kuhio (Ala Moana Center makai street level).

Wow remember when Prince Kuhio used to turn into a nightclub after 10:00pm on weekends?:)

Linkmeister
August 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Ok. I'm sure nobody cares about the Goodyear franchise in Waimalu, but you might be interested in seeing what's replaced it.

I've forgotten the exact names, and I wasn't close enough to get them all, I suspect, but anyway: on the far left, a police storefront; then the Mail/pkg place that had been next to Subway; Mashies (or something like that); a Great American Bread store; Jamba Juice; Starbucks.

tvguy
August 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
The South Seas restaurant on Lagoon Drive became a car dealership too. As kids, we iked Spencecliff cause you could go to their "treasure chest" and get a small toy after your meal.

I miss Mama's....they also had a short run at the Pearl Kai food court when the strip mall first opened. I miss pizza at Shakey's on Keeaumoku and Chico's where the Kaimuki City Mill is now. Also the Harpo's location on Kapahulu, which is still there physically.

glossyp
August 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM
Ok. I'm sure nobody cares about the Goodyear franchise in Waimalu, but you might be interested in seeing what's replaced it.
We care in our house since it's in our neighborhood! As you mentioned, there is a Jamba Juice/Starbucks combo and Great Harvest Bread opening soon. Already open is the Munchies and a very nice wine/spirits store called SWAM.

Linkmeister
August 1st, 2006, 03:28 PM
We care in our house since it's in our neighborhood! As you mentioned, there is a Jamba Juice/Starbucks combo and Great Harvest Bread opening soon. Already open is the Munchies and a very nice wine/spirits store called SWAM.

Yeah, my neighborhood too. I had to switch to Lex Brodie's for car repairs when it closed.

Thanks for the Munchies correction and the SWAM addition. I shoulda taken notes. :D

kimo55
August 1st, 2006, 06:53 PM
two things;
there's a sick plan they are trying to slip under the radar. the redevelopment of liliha street. which will displace too many long term establishments and residential units.
You will have a slew of names to add to this thread soon. Do we want the neighborhood destroyed and then paved over and built up to resemble a strip mall in cali? it will. If we don't stay alert.

also.
found this site which has a buncha places now part of histroy...

http://ronhashiro.htohananet.com/travel/oahu-kamaaina.html

Leo Lakio
August 1st, 2006, 06:56 PM
So, the restaurant at the corner of K-Bay Shopping Center in Kane`ohe - used to be Ko`olau Ranch House, seems to change hands every 2-3 years - what is it now?

oceanpacific
August 1st, 2006, 08:10 PM
CHICO'S and SHAKEY'S: we'd storm those places after playing volleyball on Friday and Saturday nights at Kaimuku Rec Center or Kanewai Field. We brought our own VB net those days. Pizza and draft beer - even the "chicks" would chug-a-lug the brew with us guys. What a loss after those places closed up. That was over three decades ago.

My favorite pizza at CHICO'S was the "Hometowner" - Canadian Bacon and pineapple, topped with slices of fresh tomato. Sometimes, I'll order take-out pizza (ham and pineapple) and add my own fresh tomatoes.

I went to Japan in 2004 and saw a Shakey's Pizza there. Filmed it on my camcorder.

SouthKona
August 2nd, 2006, 12:16 AM
Anyone else remember the House of Janus on Ala Moana Blvd. Ohta-San played there, and I seem to remember also Gus Hanneman (could this memory be correct??). It was a showroom, not a restaurant.

oceanpacific
August 2nd, 2006, 01:40 AM
House of Janus: as I recall, it was a block west (Ewa) of Ala Moana Shopping Center, next to the old KITV (Channel 4) offices.

scrivener
August 2nd, 2006, 01:54 AM
I disagree about Liliha Street, a favorite haunt of mine since I went to school one street over and half a mile up. Yes, lots of small businesses have gone, and more are sure to follow, but that's always been the case there. Look at what kind of places have moved in: other small, locally owned businesses. It's a nice, nice, nice mix of businesses and services, with big hospitals, little dentistry offices, some high-tech firms, a couple of bakeries, a horse brush store, the original L&L, a big supermarket and several small produce markets, restaurants of several different world cuisines, small mom & pop multi-purpose stores, and auto mechanics.

Longs is hitting that corner at Liliha and Kuakini, and yes, some small businesses were forced out, but I think Longs has the right idea; it's going to put up a small neighborhood pharmacy -- something that area really needs. If it builds it right, that intersection is going to be the new heart of Liliha Street, and all those small businesses in the area are going to benefit. It would be nice if Longs would put in a decent-sized, low-rise parking structure behind the new building, so people could park their cars and do all their errand-running on foot. Even if it doesn't, there's so much pedestrian and bus-rider traffic in that area already that I think the place is just going to wake up and hum.

Wider sidewalks and some nice trees here and there, and we could have the next Waialae Avenue, only better.

I think it's worth noting that Kamehameha Shopping Center has a Star/Jamba, but Nuuanu, Liliha, and Puunui still do not.

I'm excited about what's going on in the Liliha area, and look forward to smart development. IF.

alohacandy
August 3rd, 2006, 01:47 AM
So, the restaurant at the corner of K-Bay Shopping Center in Kane`ohe - used to be Ko`olau Ranch House, seems to change hands every 2-3 years - what is it now?

It's a Times Coffee Shop now. :)

Hellbent
August 3rd, 2006, 03:33 AM
some of you seem of an older generation. anyone remember what ala moana used to look like 20 years ago? i remember going to mcdonalds and overlooking shoppers in foodland. farrells. how the place used to be local but now its all shops that i will never go into.

someone mentioned that helens has new owners and were unhappy about it. businesses sell all the time, i know that for the 2nd time in 3 years hungry lions has changed hands.

on the flip side, i just shut down my shop. you all probably have never heard of it, tho it was open for 4 years. but thats another story. all i can say is that if you enjoy somewhere, try to support it by shopping there as much as you can.

oceanpacific
August 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
I rarely shop at Ala Moana now. They've gone the way of the mainland malls, especially with their own rendition of "Rodeo Drive." Liberty House is gone, replaced by Macy's. No more O'Tahite, Ritz, Sato's, Honolulu Bookstore, India Imports, Hotei-ya, Byron II, etc. Much of the "aloha spirit" has disappeared.

kimo55
August 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
I disagree about Liliha Street,
how does one disagree about liliha st?
if you mean you are in favor of redevelopment, esp. there, you simply have no idea what they are planning. The destruction of the strecth of businesses and the building up of gentrified ugly cheap characterless new buildings. So all those shops you mention will be gone. jane's fountain too. gone. bakeries. gone. L&L orig. Gone.
The street will no more resemble our liliha. It will look like anytown mainland USA.
damn shame.
damn shame about the apathy too.
damn shame young uns want a starphux and jambajooz on every block too.
ya want that kinda instant gratification convenience. go to the mainland.

Erika Engle
August 5th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I recently got a phone call from an unidentified market research co. doing, well, call-out research.

I was asked if I am a local resident and at least 18 years old, which, of course, I am.

The questions were more detailed than this, but this is the gist of the survey:

The caller asked where I'd gone to shop in the past 6 months, and when I relayed my Windward-centric answers, she said those choices didn't appear on her sheet, so she would check "other." Hmm.

She asked which of these stores I had visited in the past 6 mos, and she started rattling off names of a bunch of haute couture and high-end retailers and I just laughed and said "no," with each one she listed.

I hope my honest answers (and others like mine) give whoever is doing the research -- a large, flashing dayglo CLUE about local residents' shopping habits.

kimo55
August 5th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I hope my honest answers (and others like mine) give whoever is doing the research -- a large, flashing dayglo CLUE about local residents' shopping habits.
won't stop the onslaught, erika. tho we are optimistic. Prolly was market research for
"Smaht Magazine"

Palolo Joe
August 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM
won't stop the onslaught, erika. tho we are optimistic. Prolly was market research for
"Smaht Magazine"
So in one thread you tell HT to support the Weekly, because it's a local business and they need it.

In another, you bash Smart Magazine, because they're too worldly for your taste.

Two local publications, two different attitudes.

glossyp
August 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM

I've forgotten the exact names, and I wasn't close enough to get them all, I suspect, but anyway: on the far left, a police storefront; then the Mail/pkg place that had been next to Subway; Mashies (or something like that); a Great American Bread store; Jamba Juice; Starbucks.
The Jamba Juice is now open even though it still looks like a construction site on either side. I wandered into the wine store (no unfermented juice for me!) and learned that they are doing wine tastings every Thursday evening that will feature five or six different wines. Our neighborhood is movin' on up. Wine Tasting Info (http://www.swamwine.com/thursday-tasting.asp)

kimo55
August 8th, 2006, 05:03 PM
So in one thread you tell HT to support the Weekly, because it's a local business and they need it.

In another, you bash Smart Magazine, because they're too worldly for your taste.

Two local publications, two different attitudes.
I am an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a puzzle like a pig wrapped in a blanket.

tvguy
August 9th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Ok, I'm a big fried chicken fan, so I got to thinking of places that I liked that no longer exist:

Pioneer Chicken in Salt Lake and Kahala.(i know there were other locations)

Church's Fried Chicken on Piikoi where the used car lot is now.

Chicken Alice's off of Kapiolani

Hana Chicken near the old Pearl Ridge theatres.

I mentioned Chico's in an earlier post.....they had good chicken too!

Speaking of fast food, anyone notice the Taco Bell on King and Keeaumoku shut down and the location up for lease? Wasn't thast one of the first Taco Bells in Hawaii?

oggboy
August 9th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Azeka`s Ribs and Snack Shop, calling it quits....
Azeka`s Store was one of only two stores in Kihei, the other being Suda Store
Both these store`s we`re popular for their grinds. Azeka`s its Ribs and Suda for the Chow Fun. Talk about plenty ole time shop`s closing down. Lucky still get Takamiya Market for get local kine grinds......

OGGBOY :)

jkpescador
August 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=tvguy]Ok, I'm a big fried chicken fan, so I got to thinking of places that I liked that no longer exist:

QUOTE]

There is an interview with Chicken Alice here ... as well as the recipe.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/02/16/features/story1.html

Kalihiboy
August 9th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Speaking of fast food, anyone notice the Taco Bell on King and Keeaumoku shut down and the location up for lease? Wasn't thast one of the first Taco Bells in Hawaii?

Yeah, it closed a month ago, I talked to the manager said they had been at that location for 30 years, reason they had to close, their monthly rent tripled in value which they could not afford, so they closed. She said a medical facility is rumored to take over that spot, notice how the old KC Drive Inn is now a 4 to 5 story medical facility under construction. Heard rumors about the Medical Arts Building demise for years also, (perhaps this is its replacement?) so who knows maybe the old Taco Bell property we all ate tacos, instead you get your blood drawn there!

KalihiBoy

CranBeree
August 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Ok, I'm a big fried chicken fan, so I got to thinking of places that I liked that no longer exist:

Pioneer Chicken in Salt Lake and Kahala.(i know there were other locations)

Church's Fried Chicken on Piikoi where the used car lot is now.

Hana Chicken near the old Pearl Ridge theatres.

I mentioned Chico's in an earlier post.....they had good chicken too!

did you know that there is a Church's Fried Chicken at Pearlridge mall?

tvguy
August 9th, 2006, 03:44 PM
did you know that there is a Church's Fried Chicken at Pearlridge mall?

Where?

And while we're on the topic of chicken, I recommend Dirty Lickin's in the Aiea Shopping Center.

CranBeree
August 9th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Where?

And while we're on the topic of chicken, I recommend Dirty Lickin's in the Aiea Shopping Center.

at the Pearlridge Mall, Food Court....the one that has Tilt, Macy's, Music Mac etc ..i think that's uptown.

oh and if you like Dirty lickins chicken wings...i could give you a copycat recipe if you feel like cooking.

kimo55
August 10th, 2006, 10:50 PM
eh. errybody down waiks side...
loolooz goin ma-ke die, dead, bumbai, i heard.

Hellbent
August 11th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Yeah, it closed a month ago, I talked to the manager said they had been at that location for 30 years, reason they had to close, their monthly rent tripled in value which they could not afford, so they closed. She said a medical facility is rumored to take over that spot, notice how the old KC Drive Inn is now a 4 to 5 story medical facility under construction. Heard rumors about the Medical Arts Building demise for years also, (perhaps this is its replacement?) so who knows maybe the old Taco Bell property we all ate tacos, instead you get your blood drawn there!

KalihiBoy

what? it closed? wow. im not a big taco bell fan, but thats crazy. i know how difficult it is to find retail real estate nowadays, especially in that area after the superblock/walmart went up.

re: liliha - it is looking a bit dingy. what kind of plans do they have for it? being so close to the low income housings i dont imagine haute places going in on that street. i did notice a sign above masu's tho, i hope they arent going to go out of business.
the next street over, nuuanu is where my business was. theres been an increase in violence and prostitutes. is nuuanu=the new hotel street?

1stwahine
August 11th, 2006, 03:31 AM
re: liliha - it is looking a bit dingy. what kind of plans do they have for it? being so close to the low income housings i dont imagine haute places going in on that street. i did notice a sign above masu's tho, i hope they arent going to go out of business.
the next street over, nuuanu is where my business was. theres been an increase in violence and prostitutes. is nuuanu=the new hotel street?

Eh, try explain moa about being close to low income housing. I live MWH. What does Housing got to do with not having "haute places?" Da nerve! :rolleyes:

Your Kaka Gold?

Auntie Lynn

Palolo Joe
August 11th, 2006, 03:20 PM
what? it closed? wow. im not a big taco bell fan, but thats crazy.
that location never had a drive-thru... and i think it started to close earlier and earlier in recent months. so i'm not surprised it closed.

damontucker
August 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM
what? it closed? wow. im not a big taco bell fan, but thats crazy. i know how difficult it is to find retail real estate nowadays, especially in that area after the superblock/walmart went up.

Hellbent... If you haven't been to that area recently...please go take a look...

I see a lot of nice new restaraunts popping up around the area.

And one of Oahu's most popular eateries is on Liliha st.... the good Old Liliha Bakery.
People drive from the richest areas of this island to go there.

and I myself commented to aunty at the HT picnic that her kalbi was the best ever... Thick, juicy...looked almost like steaks! Where she get em??? somewhere over there!

Hellbent
August 12th, 2006, 01:18 AM
im not saying low income housing is bad; my grandparents lived in kukui gardens, my fiances parents live there.

when i made that comment, i was thinking about when i was a kid and we bought some mcdonalds ice milk cones ($0.20!) then we walked down to liliha square to an arcade that was there and some mokes wanted a lick of our ice cream. we didnt even know them and i had to fight over my own ice cream. not everyone that lives in a low income place is ... i dunno... bad kine but thats my memory of liliha square.

i live near liliha, i go to masu's, liliha bakery, l&l, and pizza hut. im just saying that it could use a face lift. some improvements. when you say 'redevelopment' i am thinking of fancy shmancy places that liliha doesnt need, so dont take insult, i am agreeing with you.
btw, theres this japanese restaurant between golden coin and l&l, it always seems busy, anyone ever go there? is it good? hows the prices?
new restaurants? i'll have to look again. i see a little coffee shop that is never open.

D'Alani
August 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Either Jane's Fountain or Yagura, both have good food at reasonable prices.

kimo55
August 12th, 2006, 09:04 AM
im just saying that it could use a face lift. some improvements. .
I am against the proletariat calling out for a neighborhood to improve and face lift. This has gotten the attention of polititians and developers to the extent 'redevelopment' destroys neighborhoods. Improvements are made within, by owners. Not by non owners. IF you don't like a neighborhood, and you view it as dingy, don't go there.

Palolo Joe
August 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I am against the proletariat calling out for a neighborhood to improve and face lift. This has gotten the attention of polititians and developers to the extent 'redevelopment' destroys neighborhoods. Improvements are made within, by owners. Not by non owners. IF you don't like a neighborhood, and you view it as dingy, don't go there.
Yet when those same landowners go ahead and decide to remodel and rebuild, you don't hesitate to howl with indignation how "Old Hawaii" is disappearing.

You say outsiders shouldn't tell landowners what to do. But when landowners decide to rebuild, then it's okay for outsiders to bitch about it?

kimo55
August 13th, 2006, 12:35 AM
dude. sorry but ya lost me at the middle of that first sentence.
headache inducing.
uuuuggghh.

Miulang
August 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Wow...talk about being taken by surprise. Azeka's (http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=22352) Ribs and Snack Shop in Kihei closed last week. No more chow fun, plate lunches and most of all, those onolicious ribs that were famous throughout the islands and on the Mainland.

I'm assuming just the food part of the store closed, and that the hardware part is still open. Still, it's kinda sad to hear that another venerable Maui institution---one that originally started out across from Kalama Park and ended up helping to spawn 2 shopping malls across from each other (which in some ways are considered the "heart" of Kihei), is now gone. I think the Azeka family sold the rib recipe to someone else (I've seen "Kihei style ribs" up here), but I don't think the name Azeka ribs will continue. :(

Miulang

kdramafan
August 16th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Yum Yum Tree just closed last year.

This is from a long time ago, but I used to go to Bluebird Drive-In in Pearl City in the 1970's. They've been gone a long time, but I could not recall just where they were.

Last week I was at the library and looked it up. It was 803 Kam Hwy. The building that holds Flamingo restaurant has that
address now. They say it was built in 1980.
Bob Sigall

After my Mom remarried we moved from Maui to Pearl City. This was in the late 1960's. I remember going to Blue Birds Drive-in. Not sure when it open. I know one year my brother who parked his car in front of the area when you could sit and eat your food. Thought he had is camaro in reverse and actually had it in drive and drove in through that area. Good thing it was at a time when not much people were eating there.

Right across the street where the the Zippys is now located was a place called Scotty's. A fast food take out joint like the rest of the places now days. Use to love their cheap hamburgers, fries, hotdogs, and malt shakes. This was open here when we first came to Oahu.

kdramafan
August 16th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Other restaurantswhich have gone by the wayside: Pearl City Tavern (seeing a Cutter car dealership there just kills me);

Our parents use to take us to Pearl City Tavern on special occasions. Like birthdays, graduations, etc. When I got married I use to do the same for the wife and the kids. Really miss that place and the monkey bar.

kdramafan
August 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I miss pizza at Shakey's

I also miss the Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Pearl City on Kam Hi. That was a hang out for the gang in high school and beyond.

oggboy
August 16th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I also miss the Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Pearl City on Kam Hi. That was a hang out for the gang in high school and beyond.

Thanks for bringing Shakey`s Pizza Parlor up. I forgot all about this place.
Talk about good fun times growing up.
Pizza Hut WHO???
oggboy :)

AbsolutChaos
September 1st, 2006, 06:16 PM
Ok, I know this is a another "soul-less" corporate chain, but I gotta admit that I'm going to miss the 24 hr Jack in the Box at the corner of McCully and Kalakaua. It was extremely convenient for my fast food fix. Maybe I'll actually lose some weight without the temptation of having it so close by...nah...probably not. :p

tutusue
September 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
And exactly WHERE do you need to lose weight, Ms Chaos? Inquiring, envious minds wanna know! :D

Menehune Man
September 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM
This is not an "establishment", though I was bummed to see it sooo changed.

I went to Dole Playground with my wife in the hopes of hiding a Geocache there. I spent many a day while growing up on Green Street playing there and even had a couple of "Summer Fun" summers too. The good news is that the building is now in use as a child daycare center, but the Pegusus swings in the back and the cool concrete play structure are now gone. :( They have erected a new fangled jungle gym in it's place.

Across the field and up some stairs is a beautiful Banyan Tree that I played around also. That has become a homeless encampment. Good for them, but no kids will be playing there anymore.

My wife said as I whined about it all, "The tide and time waits for no man".
I didn't feel any better about it though. Sigh.

Ehulani
September 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Aloha All; Hope you're having a wonderful Labor Day Weekend. I'm going through nostalgia time again.

Does anyone remember a restaurant/nightclub in Waipahu called the Sty or Stye? This was during the mid 1970s; around 1973-1974. I also believe there was a sister establishment in Niu Valley by the same name and I think the owner was called Al Franco.

I'm trying to dig up information on the shooting that occurred around that time, 1973-74. The manager, named Brian ______ (forgot his last name) was killed that night.

The perps that entered the establishment that evening were there for a reason, to cause much pilikia, and ended up killing the manager instead. This was a pretty popular place during the weekends as I was there all the time. That particular night, Hal Bradbury was singing with his group, (not the Krush), but he was there.

Anyone remember this incident or even the club?? Mahalo

oceanpacific
September 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
The Niu Valley "Sty" was home to "Country Comfort" in the early '70s.

Pomai
September 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Ok, I know this is a another "soul-less" corporate chain, but I gotta admit that I'm going to miss the 24 hr Jack in the Box at the corner of McCully and Kalakaua. It was extremely convenient for my fast food fix.I too was surprised to see it boarded up when passing by this past weekend. Seeing an empty lot where the The Wave once stood just up the street is still kinda' weird. Jack in the Box has been a fixture on that corner location for as long as I can remember.

Eggs 'N Things right across the street might pick up some of the post-2am club crowd that relied so much on that Jack in the Box, but their seating capacity is rather limited. At least JB had a drive-thru window. Can't say the "upscale" Cheeseburger Waikiki at the former Sizzler right next door will be getting any of those 99-cent Jumbo Jack bargain hunters.

That's such prime property; anyone know who owns it? I'm really anxious to find out who or what will be there next. Personally I'd like to see another restaurant in there. The asking lease is probably so ridiculously high that likely only a large corporate chain would be able to afford the slim profit (or lack of) margin.

PBN article: Waikiki Jack in the Box Closed (http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2006/08/28/daily15.html)

SB:Fast-food chain sells 25 of its isle stores (http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/09/news/story03.html)

Adri
September 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Krung Thai is gone. My friends and I used to go there on Fridays for their lemon chicken special :(

tvguy
September 7th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I just learned the other day that Donato's in Manoa closed....Bummer. Anyone know why???

AbsolutChaos
September 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I just learned the other day that Donato's in Manoa closed....Bummer. Anyone know why???

Here's one article from Midweek explaining why...

http://www.midweek.com/content/columns/tabletalk_article/top_chefs_toss_in_the_towel/

jdub
September 7th, 2006, 05:18 PM
i just talked to a cab driver who used to run me home from my wednesday night gigs...i called him for a lift yesterday, but he told me he just opened a thai restaurant in the space previously occupied by donato's...i liked it better when it was shipley's, as the owners were dear friends...i'm down for thai food, gonna have to check it out...

i-hungry
September 8th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Here's one article from Midweek explaining why...

http://www.midweek.com/content/columns/tabletalk_article/top_chefs_toss_in_the_towel/

He doesn't sound happy with how things went. Can't blame him though.

Pomai
September 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
It's been a while since driving up Kapahulu ave.. The other day I just discovered that the entire building (across Genki Sushi) where Subway, Regal Diner, Love's Discount Outlet, the post office and Diamond Head Video were tenants is now vacant. Looks like they'll soon demolish the building to make way for the new 60,000 sq. ft. Safeway Supermarket (http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/28/business/story01.html).

Diamond Head Video has already relocated to the corner of Kapiolani Blvd. and Kalakaua Ave., across the Convention Center.

Got2HaVKaYaNoW
September 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I actually shed a tear when they took the ANDY'S DRIVE IN sign down! I remember late nights, sneekin' out checkin' out the old cars on Sunday nights...huuuh, those where the days!

Palolo Joe
September 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM
The other day I just discovered that the entire building (across Genki Sushi) where Subway, Regal Diner, Love's Discount Outlet, the post office and Diamond Head Video were tenants is now vacant.
The plate lunch spot was JJ Diner. I hope they reopen soon.

lurkah
September 14th, 2006, 04:00 AM
It's been a while since driving up Kapahulu ave.. The other day I just discovered that the entire building (across Genki Sushi) where Subway, Regal Diner

Regal Diner is located on the Ewa end of the McCully Shopping Center. Eh tutusue, remember Gino? He was the one who turned me on to Regal Diner a few years back. Although the place is kind of small, the food there is very tasty with generous portions served.

ceny2222
September 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Washington Saimin... cheap and good saimin

oceanpacific
September 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM

We ate their grilled pork chops ($1.00) during our college days for a midnight snack.

TuNnL
September 28th, 2006, 12:18 AM
It's been a while since driving up Kapahulu ave.. The other day I just discovered that the entire building (across Genki Sushi) where Subway, Regal Diner, Love's Discount Outlet, the post office and Diamond Head Video were tenants is now vacant.No kidding!?!! I gotta go check this out. I didn’t even hear about it (was it just the Bulletin that covered it?)

craigwatanabe
September 28th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Ever since they moved from their original hole in the wall to the larger crevice in the wall, their saimin never seemed to taste as good. Maybe it was those old wooden seats and the fact that you had to wait outside on the sidewalk until one of the few booths opened up that made their saimin taste so ono. :)

glossyp
October 27th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Forty-Niner's in Aiea will close after lunch on Monday Oct. 30. I heard a rumor that the people who run the cafe at the Bishop Museum have purchased the recipe for Forty-Niner's famous saimin and hamburger. I don't know if they're taking over the building or just buying the recipes.

Hellbent
October 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM
No kidding!?!! I gotta go check this out. I didn’t even hear about it (was it just the Bulletin that covered it?)

I saw that when I went to Genki's last week. Is that the site of the new Super Safeway?

Pomai
October 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I saw that when I went to Genki's last week. Is that the site of the new Super Safeway?Yes sir.

as previously linked above: http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/28/business/story01.html

Pomai
November 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM
This is just rumor so far, but inside sources have hinted the former Jack-in-the-Box property in Waikiki on the corner of Kalakaua and McCully (just across 7-11) may be the new home to a 400+ seat ROY's Restaurant, rebuilt from the ground, up.

Also, in today's news...

Kyo-Ya Eatery (Waikiki) to Close Next Year (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061107/BUSINESS04/611070332/1071)

glossyp
November 7th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Landmark Chinese spot, McCully Chop Sui, will close at the end of the year. I can't believe Kyo-ya is closing.

808shooter
November 7th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Landmark Chinese spot, McCully Chop Sui, will close at the end of the year. I can't believe Kyo-ya is closing.

Yep, I'm going to miss Kyo-ya. The best was the mother's day all you can eat buffet. My favorite was the miso butterfish. Luckily, they published the recipie on tv once and I've been there only once since.

As for Roy's opening up a huge Waikiki restaurant, it'll be in the new Waikiki Beachwalk.

http://www.waikikibeachwalk.com/play.aspx

808shooter
November 13th, 2006, 11:39 PM
by the way, went to Kyo Ya tonight for the miso butterfish. The waiter told me they close at the end of March but they expect to be booked for the entire month so don't wait if you want to go one last time.

I'll miss this place.

TuNnL
November 13th, 2006, 11:54 PM
This is just rumor so far, but inside sources have hinted the former Jack-in-the-Box property in Waikiki on the corner of Kalakaua and McCully (just across 7-11) may be the new home to a 400+ seat ROY's Restaurant, rebuilt from the ground, up.If it’s true, that would be great news! Good for him. I thought Yamaguchi was concentrating his expansion on the neighbor islands (http://www.mauihawaii.org/restaurants/roys-restaurant-maui.htm) and the mainland (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061114/NEWS/611140339/1060).

Palolo Joe
November 14th, 2006, 12:16 AM
If it’s true, that would be great news!
It's true that Roy's is opening in Waikiki. But not at the old Jack-in-the-Box.

808Shooter was right. It'll be at the Waikiki Beachwalk. (http://www.waikikibeachwalk.com/dine_details.aspx?dineid=69)

Miulang
November 14th, 2006, 09:34 AM
If it’s true, that would be great news! Good for him. I thought Yamaguchi was concentrating his expansion on the neighbor islands (http://www.mauihawaii.org/restaurants/roys-restaurant-maui.htm) and the mainland (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061114/NEWS/611140339/1060).

Roy had a spot in Seattle at the Westin Hotel. The place closed down within a couple of years. I guess Roy was not destined to be a success in Seattle (but then again, neither was Wolfgang Puck...he opened up 2 restaurants here, both of which closed within a couple of years. Jeremiah Tower had a place called Stars in Pacific Place that went belly up, too). Seattle doesn't seem to be fertile ground for large corporate chain restaurants owned by big name chefs. But we do adore our local guys and have lots of great food.

Miulang

Leo Lakio
November 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
neither was Wolfgang Puck...he opened up 2 restaurants here, both of which closed within a couple of years.You probably remember, Miulang, that a factor in the failure of one of them (Chinoise) was his wife's attitude when members of the Asian community confronted her regarding an old poster with an image of an Chinese man on it. They found it offensive, and she refused to remove it ("I have many Chinese friends, and none of them are offended!") - lots of negative publicity, and business plummeted after that.

Miulang
November 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM
You probably remember, Miulang, that a factor in the failure of one of them (Chinoise) was his wife's attitude when members of the Asian community confronted her regarding an old poster with an image of an Chinese man on it. They found it offensive, and she refused to remove it ("I have many Chinese friends, and none of them are offended!") - lots of negative publicity, and business plummeted after that.
Yeah, and Wolfie is no longer married to Barbara Lazaroff, either!;) Saw him and his new chickie coming out of the Aureole Restaurant in Mandalay Bay the other year. His other place should have done better, because it was right at the top of Harbor Steps (where that Brazilian chiarroscuro restaurant is).

Miulang

Pomai
December 6th, 2006, 07:33 AM
F-Y-I...

There's a brand new 7-Eleven in Niu Valley Shopping Center (east Oahu), in the former spot where 76 Service Station used to be. I was there this morning and it was bustling with (coffee & pastry sales) business. Reg. gas was $2.74/gallon. There was a coupon in the paper for a FREE Big Gulp, Manapua, Pork Hash and Big Bite hot dog, no purchase necessary.

Honoruru
January 5th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Another favorite to close its door. Expect massive lines for a last taste. After that, "no rice, no macaroni salad."
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070105/BUSINESS17/701050335/1071

Leo Lakio
January 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Awwww...."Massive" was right - I could barely finish a mini-plate. Too bad to see them go, but if they were considering retirement anyway, then at least they are going out on a positive note.

oceanpacific
January 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Kyo-ya vs. Masu's: at least, you don't need reservations for Masu's, though you may have to hunt high-and-low for parking ........ :D

kupomog
January 5th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Okay I wanna cry, I loooove Masu's so much :(

I love sharing the Aloha plate with my mom and still having some left over. Tastes so damn good. Heh, my friend in Arizona wants to come to Hawai`i just so he can eat at Masu's. Well he better get his butt here this month then :o

Pomai
January 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Kyo-ya vs. Masu's: at least, you don't need reservations for Masu'sKyo-ya (Waikiki) vs. Masu's? Are you serious? You're not gonna' find 2 scoops of rice (rice, yes, but not in "scoops") and mac' salad on the menu at Kyo-ya, that's for sure!

Speaking of which, Kyo-ya Waikiki will soon be joining this thread as a "Disappearing Establishment (http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/08/business/story02.html)".

pacbasin
January 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I know, I was so bummed to hear about Kyo-ya. They won Honolulu Magazine's Hale ‘Aina Award again this year for Best Japanese, Gold, and not sure if I am going to get there before end of March to accomplish my goal of visiting all the Hale ‘Aina Award winning restaurants. Has anyone heard if reservations are still even available for any reasonable times?

pzarquon
January 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM
The coverage of Masu's impending closure was interesting. Early reports, like the Advertiser piece above, or the Star-Bulletin write up (http://starbulletin.com/2007/01/05/news/story04.html), gave the reasonable impression that Finance Factors' plans for the property accellerated Masuoka's retirement plans by a few years. (The assertion of the decision being "mutual" reeks of the "leaving to spend more time with his family" spin that goes with high-profile firings, especially since Masuoka's "I am looking to stay busy and enjoy retirement" quote comes from a Finance Factors press release.) He tells the Advertiser he was ready to go a couple more years, 'til he was 65, but the sense is that Finance Factors' needed the space now and gave him a nudge. Of course, he said he's tired and ready to go, anyway.

But by the time the TV cameras were crawling around, the Finance Factors role in the closure -- part of the lede in early reports (http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2007/01/01/daily30.html) -- was minimized or not mentioned at all, and it seemed more like Masuoka spontaneously decided it was time to hang up his apron. "It's time," he says, "Now is perfect." Though KGMB's report (http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=10124&sid=1183) notes Masuoka's disappointment, the reports I recall from KITV and KHON were all smiles and sunshine.

Anyway, the guy has worked hard, and definitely deserves a break. Folks will line up to get some of that mac saland that Masuoka understandably says he'll be happy to leave behind. :p

Sounds like Finance Factors will keep the building, at least. The Star-Bulletin article linked above notes concerns over losing the architectural character and color of Liliha.

AbsolutChaos
January 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM
When did Mazal's Kosherland go out of business??? I admit that I had not been there in probably at least half a year minimum. Yesterday my friend and I got a craving for one of their lovely hummus-falafel sandwiches, washed down with the mint lemonade--but when we got there, there were only signs saying a tattoo place was going in there instead.

I can't say I'm surprised; I didn't think there was enough of a population to support the Kosher grocery store in such a hidden location, but I'm still disappointed. :(

A link to an old Star Bulletin article on the place:
http://starbulletin.com/2004/06/23/features/story1.html

And this one from the Advertiser kinda indicates many reasons the store probably didn't make it in the end:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Mar/17/il/il13a.html

But I just want to know WHEN it left???

glossyp
January 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM
When did Mazal's Kosherland go out of business??? I admit that I had not been there in probably at least half a year minimum. Yesterday my friend and I got a craving for one of their lovely hummus-falafel sandwiches, washed down with the mint lemonade--but when we got there, there were only signs saying a tattoo place was going in there instead.

I can't say I'm surprised; I didn't think there was enough of a population to support the Kosher grocery store in such a hidden location, but I'm still disappointed. :(
They've been gone for at least a month, maybe longer. No groceries available, but if you're craving Kosher deli-type food, there is a new spot in Manoa right next to Boston Pizza and It's a Beautiful Day Kafe called Yudi's Deli. Their website (http://www.oahukosher.com).

AbsolutChaos
January 9th, 2007, 10:35 AM
No groceries available, but if you're craving Kosher deli-type food, there is a new spot in Manoa right next to Boston Pizza and It's a Beautiful Day Kafe called Yudi's Deli. Their website (http://www.oahukosher.com).

Wow, interesting. Hopefully I can check that out some time.
Thanks!

kimo55
January 9th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Here's something that's long gone

Hawaii's Chinatown early 1950's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NwAze_7YYk

i-hungry
January 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM
But I just want to know WHEN it left???

At least a few months ago. They had a sign that said they were renovating but I guess they never got to that point.

kimo55
January 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM
When did Mazal's Kosherland go out of business??? I admit that I had not been there in probably at least half a year minimum.

there were only signs saying a tattoo place was going in there instead.

I can't say I'm surprised; I didn't think there was enough of a population to support the Kosher grocery store

I can say I'm surprised you attribute it to only that. I like falafel and hummus and da kine so much, i would support it more than twice a year or so...
If.. i went that area. or knew it was there....

craigwatanabe
January 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Here's something that's long gone

Hawaii's Chinatown early 1950's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NwAze_7YYk

Wow that was interesting. Along that clip was this one on YouTube on the Waialae Drive in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiMB0T4b5WM&mode=related&search=

kimo55
January 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Along that clip was this one on YouTube on the Waialae Drive in [/url]

yea. saw this a while ago when i posted my haunted graveyard thang.
He sez:

for all the "Lost Kamaainas" living far
away from the islands. Enjoy!

Home of the reported faceless
ghost hanging in the ladie's room.
I never believed any of it.

omiGAWD! Some one rePORted the ghost? as faceless?
what! who!? a reporter?
reported to the cops? the salvation army? the girl scouts?! Glen Grant?
Sammy Amalu? Checkers and Pogo?
Bob Sevey? Five Oh?
Who? what and why?

was she hanging by a rope? on a hanger? neatly in the closet? Slightly damp on a line?
hanging.. around?

and i love how he sez:
"for all the kama'aina.
BUT i never believe local stories or kama;'aina obake stuffs."

'enjoy!"
enjoy? after you diss it?

kimo55
January 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Wow that was interesting.

that was for those working away in da office. just posted one with musick.

craigwatanabe
January 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM
that was for those working away in da office. just posted one with musick.

I remember those days when you could drive down Hotel Street. Yep Chinatown has surely changed a lot.

kimo55
January 11th, 2007, 07:33 AM
All of Hawaii has changed alot... changed too much. and there's no stopping the cancer. more insidious than the swarms of missionaries that taught Hawaiians the concepts of one god. and sin and shame and don't dance the hula and let's destroy your pagan gods and your culture... (and be ready for our progeny to appropriate your culture and turn it into a casual cartoon amusement of ours. watch it be a main feature of Dizzyland!) Just so, the invasion and destruction of what was once a great culture, a beautiful island civilisation, is being destroyed. because domination. taking what you want at any cost. Gimme,gimme,gimme. Possession. I want buildings. investing in land. it's ingrained in to the consciousness of americans, westerners, europeans. Sure one can say; well they lost the war. get over it. Sure we may hear; they have convenience, stop complaining. if course well, get; "you aren't Hawaiian, you sure want yer piece of the by, ya NIMBY complainer". naturally we will be met with "naaah, the good ol days are here now..." well, lemme tellya. justifications for the wiping out of what once was... unfortunately drown out any interest to any degree, of listening to the original inhabitants of these lands.
Hawaii itself is a "disappearing establishment". It is being run rampant with people who move here wanting their starbucks, and mainland clubs and big stores. and all the manini shopping choices they have on the mainland. They move here from amelica and say "I am finally HOME!" and what of the kanaka maoli who actually can call Hawaii their home? because it IS... THEIR home, and for generations? and now, can no longer afford to live in their own land? and can no longer recognize their own home for the proliferation of the mainland corporate presence, wiping out all semblance of localness, all mom and pop stores... all things that separated the islands from the conus. The island is swarming with transplants who felt the pull for years and now they are here with their wishes that their investment of raw land... or a small house, or condotel unit in Kakaako or Wilshire, I mean Kapiolani, will double in value every couple years, and sure hope the big chains move to my neighborhood, that'll add value to my property, and that's a good thing cuz I want my convenience, i NEED many shopping possibilities. . . after all, the destruction of another's country is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it's our prerogative.

Pua'i Mana'o
January 11th, 2007, 08:55 AM
...and that's why our planet is warming up. Our great-grandchildren will have conversations like this:

"eh, we go dive off Ward Centre (the name of a really cool reef). My Uncle Joe said he saw one fish there last week!"

kimo55
January 11th, 2007, 09:06 AM
we'll have responses like this;
a fish... hmmm. usta know wot dat was. remind me. whassa fish?

kimo55
January 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I wish her luck. She's a nice lady---anyone know if she is still working at Castle?

she is busy doing demo of her packaged and bottled products around town and ready to do it on da mainland.
(a Trade shows, at Daiei... wait. that died, eh?)

DannyWilliams
January 31st, 2007, 05:03 AM
At Ala Moana Center on da corner was this eating place LONG LONG TIME AGO. I think it was called "Jons" errrr something. It was not on the current food court side. I am talkin da uda side which turned into a shoe stoa.....
Anyways, they served plate lunches and my mom used to get beef stew from them and whats funny is that you physically got maybe 2-3 actual meat hidden under sauce/gravy they put under. I wonder what kept them goin pulling stuff like dat?
Also they had a magazine rack with what else the adult mags. :rolleyes:
Ohhhhhhh da workers always gave ya stink eye if they knew if u were lookin at stuuff ur no supposed to be lookin at.:D

chicodog
January 31st, 2007, 05:54 AM
I remember Jon's. I liked to order their hamburgers and fries.

DannyWilliams
January 31st, 2007, 06:09 AM
I dunno if its long gone or still stay......
Their specialty was Japanese Fast Food.....
One was and I do mean was at Pearl Kai across from the now defunct Tower Records

I am hazy if the Ala Moana Location is still there or not at the Food Court and the flagship store at Waikiki.
When I order their Teri Chix I go upstairs and grind like there is no tommorrow!

Abyone can help me on the name of this eating place? :(

Honoruru
January 31st, 2007, 05:32 PM
I think it was called "Jons" errrr something. It was not on the current food court side.

I remember the place, too. It was a small corner store. I used to like their mini curry bowl.

jkpescador
January 31st, 2007, 09:31 PM
Today was the last day for Ma's Place on Kauai.

glossyp
February 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease. The good news is that George Mavrothalassatis of Chef Mavro will open a casual restaurant in the spot called Cassis Honolulu. The cuisine will be classic French bistro fare with Hawaii Regional influence. This news is really exciting to me as I'm a fan of classic French bistro food.

Pua'i Mana'o
February 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease. The good news is that George Mavrothalassatis of Chef Mavro will open a casual restaurant in the spot called Cassis Honolulu. The cuisine will be classic French bistro fare with Hawaii Regional influence. This news is really exciting to me as I'm a fan of classic French bistro food.

What is french bistro food perzactly? And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it?

glossyp
February 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
What is french bistro food perzactly? And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it?
Steak, French fries, roast chicken, creme brulee, sweet tartes, savory tartes, French onion soup, nicoise salad (basically tuna salad with olives and vinaigrette), cream puffs though of course they are called profiteroles. Simpe, everyday food. I'm getting hungry just writing it down. Some of the example dishes I saw in the press release were a tarte tartin with li hing mui flavors and a tako-green papaya salad. Octopus is a typical French ingredient, but papaya is not so I guess that's where the HRC "spin" comes in. And, indeed, where is SusieMisajon?

hifotog
February 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
ok...one mo for the books....Marukai 99 Cents store in Waipahuuuu! On Saturday, I went to go shop at the town center....I thought I was seeing things...but no ways! windows covered with paper, leasing sign...sad to say, was all pau....nice thing about dis store, had choke stuff for almost every household need...oh well

LikaNui
February 6th, 2007, 07:39 AM
And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it? According to the Members listing, her last post was on November 4, but the last time she looked in here was January 29.
Hope she's okay...

Pomai
February 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM
ok...one mo for the books....Marukai 99 Cents store in Waipahuuuu! On Saturday, I went to go shop at the town center....I thought I was seeing things...but no ways! windows covered with paper, leasing sign...sad to say, was all pau....nice thing about dis store, had choke stuff for almost every household need...oh wellPerhaps the Waipahu folks felt they were being ripped off by the higher $1.49 price on most items and stopped going there. :p

Their inventory is often a toss-up of either crap that isn't even worth a penny, to items that belie its bargain-basement price. I've gotten pretty good mileage out of some of their 99 cent Chef's Knives. They sure are sharp right out of the package. Eventually rust sets in to its so called "Stainless Steel" blade and you just toss 'em.

I once found a postcard in there that simply said "Night time in Honolulu" on the back. The photo on the front wasn't even a photo. Just a BLACK, unexposed void of NOTHING. Now THAT'S truly "night time in Honolulu"... with no power or moonlight! :D I was gonna' send it in to Jay Leno, but never got around to it.

I sure miss the Tesoro Gas Station that was replaced with Wahoo's/Star##cks/Jamba Juice/Video Store on the corner of Auahi and Ward (fronting 99 Cent Store). It was so convenient for gas on my way to work, plus they were cheaper than the Shell up the street.

Note that the Chevron Gas Station across K-Mart on Nimitz Hwy. (just before Sam Choy's BLC) recently closed down as well. Anyone know what will replace that?

Hellbent
February 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=glossyp;130044]Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease.QUOTE]

I used to like Palamino, but they changed their menu and the food sucked. The aged meat, the kiawe wood smoked prime rib or whatever it was is gone. Even the Calamari Rings didnt taste the same.

Hellbent
February 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Note that the Chevron Gas Station across K-Mart on Nimitz Hwy. (just before Sam Choy's BLC) recently closed down as well. Anyone know what will replace that?

Whats the deal with the Chevrons closing? First Nuuanu, then the one by Redline, now another one?
It kind of looks like Nuuanu one might reopen again, not sure tho. They apparently did some remodelling in the repair bays, but cant really tell from outside.

Pomai
February 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Whats the deal with the Chevrons closing? First Nuuanu, then the one by Redline, now another one?
It kind of looks like Nuuanu one might reopen again, not sure tho. They apparently did some remodelling in the repair bays, but cant really tell from outside.Answer somewhat solved on the Nimitz (near K-Mart) Chevron location: there's a FOR SALE real estate sign up. The building itself has already been demolished. I can only imagine how much that property is worth. God Forbid the new buyer doesn't put up (or allowed) another condo there. :eek: I don't think the property area is large enough for another big box retailer. :eek:

SusieMisajon
February 6th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Here I am...didja miss me?

French home cooking with Hawaiian flavour, or Hawaiian home cooking with French flavour?. Laulaus made with fatty duck. Li hing mui powder in the sorbets. Macadamia nut wafers. Portuguese sausage in the garbure soup. Mango and papaya mousse. Raw fish in the crudité platter. Ginger zest in the crepes suzettes. Watercress in the omlettes. Pot au Feu with taro chunks. Sweet potato and cream soup. Creme brulee with ohelo berries. White chocolate and macadamia Nutella. Roast chicken rubbed with char siu spice. Bayonne ham in sushi.

scrivener
February 7th, 2007, 04:30 AM
The Nuuanu and Waiakamilo Chevrons were both owned by Richard Awakuni. Since they had the same owner, I wouldn't call it a rash of closings; you could really think of it as one closing. Awakuni runs an auto detailing business downtown now.

1stwahine
February 7th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Here I am...didja miss me?

Yeah...where you been? :D

Auntie Lynn

glossyp
February 19th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I was saddened to learn that The Bistro at Century Center has closed. Didn't get to eat there often, but our dining scene is less complete now that The Bistro is no more.

speedtek
February 19th, 2007, 09:38 PM
other places I remember:

Tanoue's in Kaimuki, I remember my Kalani classmate Wendy Tanoue's family owned it and she worked there. It was a saimin place.

Swiss Inn in Niu Valley. It had very different food.

9th Avenue Snack Shop. I remember they had good teriburgers.

King's Bakery McCully. I loved the Chili with Cube Steak, some old Filipino cook made it. in the late 80's it changed after he retired.

My Family owned the following:
Chun Hoon Everybodys supermarket in Nuuanu

Wing Coffee Co. on Pauahi St. Famous for the Crack Seed barrels and Fresh Roasted Peanuts and Kona Coffee. My Great Grandfather (Chong Sum Wing) was responsible for starting Mun Lun Chinese School. He put up the $5000 in the early 1900's to start the school. My Grand Aunt (his daughter Marietta Eng) is one of the advisers of the school and she has written a few books on old Hawaii and Chinese families. (you can find her books on Amazon.com)

Chang & Sons (gone in the 60's) Chinese Merchants.

I went to Masu's last week and bought 4 Lau Lau Plates, still $3.95 or $5.20 for the works. Me and my son ate 1 the first day and ate the rest the next day. They have frozen Lau Laus for those of you who want to hold on to the flavor.....maybe sell it on ebay later!!! gotta get somemore before next week!

craigwatanabe
February 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Ahhh the shredded mango from Wing coffee. I still get visions of that yellow VW with with the water bumpers.:D

D'Alani
February 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
[quote=speedtek;133258]other places I remember:

Swiss Inn had a very ono Osso Bucco(sp.?) I think it later became "Sty's" or was that before it bacame Swiss Inn?...too long ago. :o

speedtek
February 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned Chunky's in McCully?

Jolly Roger's in Kahala. Home of the real Suzy-Q (Teri Burger with American cheese)

Pomai
March 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM
FYI: The Wolfgang Puck Express at Ward Entertainment Center is now closed. They opened there along with the rest of the center in 2002. They featured California style gourmet pizzas, pastas & sandwiches.

The Ward Big City Diner next door must have been too much competition for the local clientele with its broader family friendly appeal and price point.

It'll be interesting to see who'll fill that now-vacant prime location.

The proprietor of that location also owns and operates the Wolfgang Puck Express located at the Aston Waikiki, as well as Chuck's Steakhouse and Chuck's Cellar in the Outrigger hotels, which are all still in operation.

oceanpacific
March 14th, 2007, 06:28 PM
[quote=speedtek;133258]other places I remember:

Swiss Inn had a very ono Osso Bucco(sp.?) I think it later became "Sty's" or was that before it bacame Swiss Inn?...too long ago. :o

I believe it was THE STY, where the original Country Comfort gigged, then SWISS INN, and now SWISS HAUS.

JOLLY ROGER also featured the TERI BEEF KING, BEEFY BOY, CHEESY GAL, and PORKY BOY sandwiches.

DannyWilliams
March 15th, 2007, 03:21 AM
WHOA! :(

I jus read that COLUMBIA INN suddenly closed its doors without notice according Star Bulletin's Website.

They indeed was a favorite of mine. I always ordered their Teriyaki while I was still on the island. Visited mostly the Kapiolani location b4 it went buh bye 6 yrs ago which left their only location in kaimuki. I did go down to that location and the last time I went there was when I was goin to KCC at the time to meet up with my professor and a couple of fellow students from a class on what subject I foget but was good time while it lasted though.

glossyp
March 16th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I spotted a banner hanging from the old Forty Niner Restaurant in Aiea announcing that they will re-open. No date was provided, but it looks like they'll be back in business soon.

oceanpacific
March 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Must be new management for the FORTY-NINER. The owners were well past retirement age.

Da Rolling Eye
March 16th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Wow! Das all after 7 pages? Here's a few more, many out thisaway. Maybe some too old? ;)

Hong Kung that used to be on Harding. Used to eat there at least once a week with my ex.

Flamingo Chuckwagon. Love the fried chx.

Pearl City Tavern. Had the best won ton appetizer and cute monkeys.

Yamada's in Waialua. Family style Okinawan/Japanese food.

Marigold Market. Used to stop by after school for a nickle wax covered dill pickle.

Kastner's that was on Kamehameha. Bought our school clothes there.

Topper Drive-In. Another hang-out after school.

UH Shakeys. Only place I knew that served Primo dark.

Kapiolani Cafe. Yeah, I know they moved to Kalihi, but the food was never the same. Oxtail soup got junk as well as the fried rice.

Wo Fat on Hotel St. Had our wedding reception there and went to Oasis after, for the show.

Club Hubba Hubba! They still around? Used to have......more mature strippers during the daytime shows. :D

Club Arirang. Remember Charlotte? :eek:

Mongolian BBQ. Are they still there in Kaimuki? Used to go there all the time when they had the "buffet". Later visits to their new place was dissappointing.

Big Way Burger. 5 for a buck. Was hard to beat that sale.

Wahiawa Bus Station cafe. Now Sunnyside on Kilani Ave.

Maroni's Pizza. A once a week event. They made a brief comeback, but didn't last a year. Maui Mikes is now there and seem to be holding up. Tried them a couple weeks ago and don't understand the popularity. Chicken falls off the bone and served with different dipping sauces. Personally, they overcook their chx to the point it's "powdery" and disintegrates in the mouth. Not melts. Some pieces, there's nothing left to chew.

tutusue
March 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM
[...]Mongolian BBQ. Are they still there in Kaimuki? Used to go there all the time when they had the "buffet". Later visits to their new place was dissappointing.[...]
I was just thinking of Mongolian BBQ last week and wondering the same thing. I ate there more often when it was in Chinatown...the "buffet" days! But, I also enjoyed it after it moved to Kaimuki. Hmmm...it's gone (http://www.epicurious.com/restaurants/erg/hawaii/budget) (scroll to the bottom of the page for the reference)! I didn't think it was terrible at all!!!

Da Rolling Eye
March 16th, 2007, 11:20 PM
If the author is referring to M BBQ in the last few years, I'd have to sort of agree, although, I wouldn't put it as strongly as he/she did. We first went to M BBQ when they were in Chinatown, also, then followed them to Kaimuki when they opened right on Waialae Ave. The last few years was at a location next to that taxi stand behind that "fancy" bakery and it never was the same again. Too bad, so sad.

"...or a skirt steak marinated in Korean kim chee (a familiar taste for Islanders of all ethnicities)."????? Hah? I've never heard of it. Family's never heard of it. Friends have never mentioned it. I thought it kinda silly to assume that "Islanders of all ethnicities" know what this dish is. We'd have heard more about it by now, yes? :rolleyes: ;)

oceanpacific
March 16th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I'm going to try the skirt steak ("harimi") prepared at 12th Avenue Grill the next time I go there. I don't believe that it's marinated in kim chee there. Kim chee, I know. Skirt steak, I'm familiar with. Together ...... no.

glossyp
March 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I'm going to try the skirt steak ("harimi") prepared at 12th Avenue Grill the next time I go there. I don't believe that it's marinated in kim chee there. Kim chee, I know. Skirt steak, I'm familiar with. Together ...... no.
It is marinated in kim chee base and it is really quite good, but not my favorite dish at 12th Ave Grill - that would be the desserts! :D I read the Epicurious article to mean that kim chee is a familiar flavor here, not kim chee marinated meat, but can see how it could be interpreted that way. I think I know who wrote the blurb and that person wouldn't make such an inaccurate generalization. And, no, it was not me!

oceanpacific
March 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Now, I know that I'll be ordering it. I usually consume their pork chop entree ........ along with a light dessert.

D'Alani
March 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I believe skirt steak is the same as flap steak and Ige's in Waimalu makes a very good one, taste like the old style BBQ Beef. Costco usually have them.

oceanpacific
March 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I don't know if the flap = skirt. The "skirt" is technically the diaphram muscle. But, you're right about the teriyaki flap meat a IGE's. DELICIOUS! It makes a popular pairing with their SHOYU PORK in a combo plate.

And Costco does sell "flap" meat in their cases. Also, DAIEI, nka "Don Quihote."

cynsaligia
March 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I believe skirt steak is the same as flap steak and Ige's in Waimalu makes a very good one, taste like the old style BBQ Beef. Costco usually have them.

I don't know if the flap = skirt. The "skirt" is technically the diaphram muscle. But, you're right about the teriyaki flap meat a IGE's. DELICIOUS! It makes a popular pairing with their SHOYU PORK in a combo plate.

And Costco does sell "flap" meat in their cases. Also, DAIEI, nka "Don Quihote."

"flap" and "flank" steaks come from the same region of the cow, the "flank"--lower part of teats and below, i guess is how i'd describe it. "skirt" comes from the upper part of teats and above, called the "plate." or something like that.

Pomai
May 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
This afternoon while walking by the former Jack in the Box on the Corner of Kalakaua Ave. and McCully., there was an active renovation in progress.

Come to find out from the workers on site, coming soon will be a Chinese Buffet restaurant.

They refused to give the specific business name. We'll soon find out. ;)

na alii
May 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Wow! Das all after 7 pages? Here's a few more, many out thisaway. Maybe some too old? ;)

Club Arirang. Remember Charlotte? :eek:

Cigars, books of matches and a roll of quarters. Last time I saw her was at Gardenia Garden on Dillingham about 20 years ago. Wasn't Charlotte a Kalani grad?

Da Rolling Eye
May 5th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Cigars, books of matches and a roll of quarters. Last time I saw her was at Gardenia Garden on Dillingham about 20 years ago. Wasn't Charlotte a Kalani grad?
A very naughty Kalani grad. :D Wonder how her reunions went? :p

glossyp
May 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I spotted a banner hanging from the old Forty Niner Restaurant in Aiea announcing that they will re-open. No date was provided, but it looks like they'll be back in business soon.
Forty Niner opened on Wednesday. New owners, but they kept all of the most popular dishes (saimin, beef cutlet, hamburger) and Jenny, the waitress who has been there forever, is working there also. Hours are 5am-8pm daily for the time being. The new owner said the hours might change in the future. Phone number is 484-1940.

Honoruru
May 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I was headed to Foodland Ala Moana this afternoon, but when I got there, it was gone! The entire area is boarded up. Did I miss something in the news? Is it closed for good or just for renovation?

Pomai
May 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I was headed to Foodland Ala Moana this afternoon, but when I got there, it was gone! The entire area is boarded up. Did I miss something in the news? Is it closed for good or just for renovation?The latter is correct. According to pacificbusinessnews.com (http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2007/05/14/story10.html), renovations will close the Ala Moana location for 12 weeks. Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Beard Papa's Cream Puffs are included in the plans.

Thank goodness. I shop there every now and then for last minute grocery stuff I need whenever I'm in the mall. I'd hate for it to become just another overpriced clothes boutique.

Honoruru
May 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
That's a relief! I don't go there often, but it is a convenient location for me. And I like it that they're expanding their gourmet deli and bakery. And adding Beard's Papa!

i-hungry
May 31st, 2007, 10:31 PM
Shung Chong Yuen, the Chinese bakery on Maunakea street, closed this week. They have been in business for a very long time.

buzz1941
May 31st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Whatever happened to Bluebird Drive-In in Pearl City?

Pomai
June 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM
A rendering of Foodland's renovation project at Ala Moana Center (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/misc/zoom.pbs&Avis=M1&Dato=20070601&Kategori=BUSINESS&Lopenr=70531007&Ref=AR).

Foodland Super Market at Ala Moana Center is in the midst of a renovation that, when completed in early August, will include retail space for Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Beard Papa's operations. The store recently closed for the work. In addition to the coffee and cream-puff businesses, the Foodland renovation will feature new deli and bakery departments as well as expanded sections for meat, seafood and produce. Foodland's parent, The Sullivan Family of Cos., operates seven Beard Papa's and 14 Coffee Bean stores, many of which are inside or near the company's 29 Foodland and Sack N Save stores.

For a glimpse of what's-to-be, visit the Koko Marina (Hawaii Kai) location.

oceanpacific
June 2nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Whatever happened to Bluebird Drive-In in Pearl City?

Was it located on the mauka side of Kam Highway across Flamingo Pearl City, Diamond Head of Pearl City Shopping Center (Leeward Bowl, Long's Drugs, Daiei, UnoCal gas station)? If so, it became Pearl City Nissan and is presently the site of Zippy's/Napoleon's.

MonkeyMan
June 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
Was it located on the mauka side of Kam Highway across Flamingo Pearl City, Diamond Head of Pearl City Shopping Center (Leeward Bowl, Long's Drugs, Daiei, UnoCal gas station)? If so, it became Pearl City Nissan and is presently the site of Zippy's/Napoleon's.

No, OP, you got it backward. Bluebird Drive-In was located in Pearl City on the MAKAI side of Kamehameha Hwy., across the street from SCOTTY'S Drive-In.

Bluebird was located where the Flamingo P.C. building is now. It was in the corner of the property, right next to the river.

Scotty's became Nissan, then became Zippy's. Scotty's had killer chocolate malts and big, fat, salty crinkle fries. Yummy!

buzz1941
June 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
No, OP, you got it backward. Bluebird Drive-In was located in Pearl City on the MAKAI side of Kamehameha Hwy., across the street from SCOTTY'S Drive-In.

That's it. The only edible mac salad ever made.

oceanpacific
June 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks, gang. I stand corrected.

I remember a SCOTTY'S on Keaaumoku Street where LaMancha Restaurant and now Sam Sung Plaza stands. They were known for their malts. My better-half once worked there part-time during her teen years.

Must have been related to the SCOTTY'S in Pearl City.

hifotog
June 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Add these to the list as of June 2....Marujyu Market on Kam Hwy...across from Cutter Ford, TCBY Ice Cream next to Star Market-Kam Shopping Ctr, and this one...I say due to the service I had from the manager of the day...was due to be history, corner chinese restaurant across ON STAGE, Shell Gas station and the KAYAK shop....the service was lousy, and if they did that ALL the time, maybe das why....das it for now!

Lei Liko
June 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Saw on KHON2's 6:00 news that KAM [MAK] BOWL's last day of operation is June 15th. :( I have fond memories of my uncle teaching me how to bowl. And then bowling got lame -- but we still went to check out the guys playing video games. It was there that I had my first kiss in the 8th grade. :o

They interviewed a bunch of the old-timers and one of the tatas even shed a tear. How sad that all these friends won't have their usual place to go?

Kapiolani Coffee Shop and their oxtail soup isn't closing, though. They'll be moving to the spot next to (near?) SUGOI at City Square.

oceanpacific
June 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
It was also mentioned that after MAK BOWL closes, there will be TWO civilian bowling alleys on Oahu, LEEWARD BOWL (Pearl City) and AIEA BOWL. Closed in recent years are the WAIALAE BOWL, KALIHI BOWL, PALI LANES (Kailua), and EWA BEACH BOWLING CENTER. In the more distant past, CLASSIC BOWL, BOULEVARD LANES, JET LANES, BOWLING CITY, WINDWARD BOWL (Kaneohe), STADIUM BOWL-O-DROME, KAPIOLANI BOWL, COUNTRY LANES (Waipahu), TROPICANA BOWL (Kaneohe), KAIMUKI BOWL, STARDUST LANES, KALAKAUA BOWL, WAIKIKI BOWL, AIRPORT LANES, WAIANAE BOWL. :eek:

If and when I resume bowling, it'll have to be back at HILO LANES when I visit the Big Island.

hifotog
June 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
sorry...you guys ~~~~~~FAST n POSTING!!!!!~~~~~~~~ mahalo! but auwe to kindness to seniors and retired.

oceanpacific
June 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Oooops, the initial TV news report on the bowling alleys was incorrect. There are still FOUR civilian lanes still operating on Oahu. In addition to LEEWARD BOWL (Pearl City) and AIEA BOWL, PALI LANES (Kailua) and WAIALAE BOWL are still open. WAIALAE is scheduled to close in February 2008, however. :eek:

Kapiolani Coffee Shop, situated within MAK BOWL, will re-open in City Square near SUGOI.

oceanpacific
June 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Another question:

After JOLLY ROGER closed their Waialae restaurant across Kahala Mall, did another business utilize that site before it was demolished and became a Zippy's location?

ifcancan
June 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM
On Maui, right there on Lono Ave. (I think) in Kahului there was a place called Shriley's. It might've been spelled differently. It wasn't really a restaurant, and more of a parking lot with w/ a window. They had awesome teri-burgers and fries. When we were good, our Auntie would take us there.

Now it's still an eatery, but it's got a different name and I haven't been back.

If you want to discuss disappearing establishments, look no further than Paia, Maui.

At the intersection of Baldwin Ave. and Hana Highway I grew up seeing a Japanese place called Kihata's. Inside there were decades-old stuffed pheasants, a man with a missing finger who gave us shrimp chips, and good bento. It then turned to a place called Shar-Ron's which served Southwestern food. Now it's empty. My Dad said that before it was Kihata's it was called Larry's or something like that. That place was the nearest television he could find to watch the Watergate Hearings.

Oh, and there was some discussion on this thread about Liliha St. I love the intersection of Liliha and Kuakini b/c it reminds me of old Paia. I still go to Jane's Fountain from time to time and when my Dad came to visit, I took him to Masu's. He loved it. Now that that place is gone, I take him to Kenny's at the Kam Shopping Center. Long live Liliha!

i-hungry
June 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Urumi is gone. Not too many choices for ramen in Chinatown now. I think there's only that other place on Beretania Street?

ploal5333
June 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM
here's another link on this discussion: http://www.yelp.com/topic/coZIWiUn-ejuwNAONLIOgg

Honoruru
June 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM
here's another link on this discussion: http://www.yelp.com/topic/coZIWiUn-ejuwNAONLIOgg

Lot of memories in this link. The one I remember most, for some obscure reason, is the Dog House on Kapahulu (during the 1970s, just below where KC Drive-In used to be). I loved their miniaturesque architecture (a dog house), and their chili dog and/or chili dog plate.

But more up-to-date, Ebisu Catering & Okazuya (http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/10/business/story01.html) is about to close and is hunting for a new location. It's just across the street from the newly opened Gulick Delicatessen. I thought it strange that two of the most well-known names in Okazuya were almost side-by-side. One had to go. I guess it was Ebisu. I hope they find a new home.

oceanpacific
June 13th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Regarding Kapahulu's DOG HOUSE: I remember that site later becoming BOB'S BAR-B-Q before it moved to the corner of Dillingham and Waikamilo next to Taco Bell and across McDonald's. There's also a BOB'S BAR-B-Q in the Stadium Mall next to the Ice Palace.

Kalihiboy
June 13th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Oooops, the initial TV news report on the bowling alleys was incorrect. There are still FOUR civilian lanes still operating on Oahu. In addition to LEEWARD BOWL (Pearl City) and AIEA BOWL, PALI LANES (Kailua) and WAIALAE BOWL are still open. WAIALAE is scheduled to close in February 2008, however. :eek:

Kapiolani Coffee Shop, situated within MAK BOWL, will re-open in City Square near SUGOI.

Pali Lanes will also be closing I believe January 2009 when their lease expires.

Aj

Kalihiboy
June 13th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Just saw last night that TGI Fridays located across from the Blaisdell Concert Hall has closed its doors. As per the KHNL News even TGI staff was shocked as it closed basicially without any warning. A formal statement to the closing will be coming out within the next 24 hours from corporate TGI on the mainland.

I always liked eating there, but moreso when I use to live in Makiki or we would go there before or after a show at the Blaisdell. I bet they made their most money on nights of concerts and performances.

Aj

LikaNui
June 13th, 2007, 07:52 AM
A formal statement to the closing will be coming out within the next 24 hours from corporate TGI on the mainland. Erika Engle has the story in today's Star-Bulletin. (I didn't copy the link to paste here, but I'm sure folks can find the story easily enough.)

:o

ifcancan
June 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
When my older brother was at UH, we'd go and visit him from Maui. He'd always take us to Harpo's in Kapahulu. Remember that one?

Lei Liko
June 13th, 2007, 02:35 PM
When my older brother was at UH, we'd go and visit him from Maui. He'd always take us to Harpo's in Kapahulu. Remember that one?

I remember that place very well. I used to work there. We'd call it CRAPOS.

You guys came all the way from Maui and went there? When Rainbow Drive-In is right across the street? :eek:

ifcancan
June 18th, 2007, 07:42 AM
You guys came all the way from Maui and went there? When Rainbow Drive-In is right across the street? :eek:

No, no, no. We didn't fly from Maui just to go to Harpo's. Rainbow Drive-In was another spot we'd hit in Kapahulu. That and the shave-ice place near by.

I can't think of the other places we'd go when we were little kids. Now that I live here, I seldom go to Kapahulu, but when I do, I find myself at that Japanese restaurant w/ the Garlic Ahi.

oceanpacific
June 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM
No, no, no. We didn't fly from Maui just to go to Harpo's. Rainbow Drive-In was another spot we'd hit in Kapahulu. That and the shave-ice place near by.

I can't think of the other places we'd go when we were little kids. Now that I live here, I seldom go to Kapahulu, but when I do, I find myself at that Japanese restaurant w/ the Garlic Ahi.

The Japanese place you're referring to must be IRIFUNE.

The shave ice emporium: is that the branch of WAIOLA STORE?

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN is an institution for me. I go there as often as I can when I'm in town for their BBQ Pork sandwich, Rainbow Special, and chili.

ifcancan
June 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN is an institution for me. I go there as often as I can when I'm in town for their BBQ Pork sandwich, Rainbow Special, and chili.

Irifune, that's it! Their wall o' business cards is so organized. Waiola store is the other place too! I haven't been there in forever. The last time I was at Rainbow Drive-In, I had the chili. It was lunch time and there was hardly any room so you have to sit next to strangers and make friends.

AlohaKine
June 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Does anybody know why the bar "Aquarious" on Kapiolani is out of business and a boarded up shell?

Pomai
June 20th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Just saw last night that TGI Fridays located across from the Blaisdell Concert Hall has closed its doors. As per the KHNL News even TGI staff was shocked as it closed basicially without any warning. A formal statement to the closing will be coming out within the next 24 hours from corporate TGI on the mainland.

I always liked eating there, but moreso when I use to live in Makiki or we would go there before or after a show at the Blaisdell. I bet they made their most money on nights of concerts and performances.

AjFollowing the same fate also is the Waikiki location...

Bid farewell to Waikiki Friday's this Friday (http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/20/business/engle.html).

I just spoke with someone by phone at TGI's Waikiki location, and she said TODAY is their last day. 12:30am last call for food. 1:30am last call for drinks.

Surely lots of folks will have memories of dining at TGI Friday's Ward location before or after Blaisdell concerts and events. I even had a first date a long, long time ago there.

Along with TGI's, I also remember Flamingo Chuckwagon across the street on Kapiolani Blvd. Every year after my sister finished singing at the Kamehameha Schools Song Contest, our family would go there for the Prime Rib buffet. Good stuff. Yet, at my very young age at the time, I'm not sure if the grindz was worth sitting through a (yawn) school choir competition. :eek:

Lei Liko
June 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I come home from vacation and I get an urgent text message from my sister telling me that Magoo's is closing on Friday (http://starbulletin.com/2007/06/27/business/story03.html).

To say that I am devastated would be an understatement. Sure, that place was disgusting and was known to give allergic reactions to many patrons and that one stall in the ladies' bathroom never worked, but their cheesy fries and $5 pitchers/99-cent mugs were all worth it.

I'm so glad I came home in time.

YoungNeil
June 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM
RIP Magoo's.

GeckoGeek
June 28th, 2007, 12:20 AM
I'm so glad I came home in time.

Take photos to remember it by. Trust me on that.

Random
June 28th, 2007, 12:28 AM
RIP Magoo's.
I thought they're only closing the Puck Alley's location.

Or is that their only establishment?

Heard they're going to make a "pizza wagon" establishment (a lunchwagon that serves pizzas and pastas) to cater UH and Manoa students.

Lei Liko
June 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I thought they're only closing the Puck Alley's location.

Or is that their only establishment?

Heard they're going to make a "pizza wagon" establishment (a lunchwagon that serves pizzas and pastas) to cater UH and Manoa students.

You are correct about the pizza wagons.

However, unless those pizza wagons have the University's 100+ beers on tap, they won't matter too much to me. :(

[You can obviously see where my priorities are :o ]

Random
June 28th, 2007, 09:47 PM
You are correct about the pizza wagons.

However, unless those pizza wagons have the University's 100+ beers on tap, they won't matter too much to me. :(

[You can obviously see where my priorities are :o ]
Oh, yeah. Pepperoni & Cheese manapua. :p

Lei Liko
June 28th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Just got back from Magoo's.

Looks like Desert Isle Beverages has taken over, according to my darlings there (Glenn, Thomas, and Marcus). Most of the staff will be retained, and signs around the bar indicate that the good food and cheap beer will return come August.

Renovations will take place for the next 4-6 weeks. The ceilings will be ripped out to finally get rid of the critters who call it home, the bar will be redone along with the bathrooms (HALLELUJAH! Maybe we'll get paper towels this time!) and from what I hear from staff, they're all looking forward to the new boss and management.

It won't be Magoo's anymore, but hopefully it'll be the same thing I love going back to -- just with a different name.

[I guess I can look past the fact that they ran out of my Killian's Irish Red and regular cheesy fries, not to mention that I ran into my freaking older sister who decided to drink there because she was there drinking when MAMA MIA's became no more]

glossyp
July 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Joining the growing list of places closing suddenly is Jackie's Kitchen at Ala Moana. Where will the "Lost" fans who used to gather there to watch the show go now?

Kalihiboy
July 2nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
These local restaurants closing so abruptly is a disturbing trend of late. Do their employees get up and put on their uniforms or whatever come to work to find the doors locked I wonder?

Rush Hour 3 is coming out soon maybe Jackie has too many other committments
that he couldnt concentrate on this business interest. He did show up to the Grand opening.

Aj

ploal5333
July 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
We ate at Jackie's Kitchen the 2nd month they opened for business. The food wasn't that bad but nothing special, the prices a bit high, but what I didn't like was the wait help. They hovered around our table and asked 'how is everything?' every 2 minutes! It was impossible to enjoy the meal and talk. Do it to me once and never again will I patronize your restaurant.

Kalihiboy
July 5th, 2007, 12:37 AM
A few fast food restaurants look to be razed in the next few days:

Taco Bell on King Street/Keeaumoku they have a bulldozer in place and were already tearing up the parking lot. Then a few blocks down on Keeaumoku Street the long time McDonalds is set to be torn down soon...but will re-open sometime in the winter of 2007. McDonalds seems to do this to other older restaurants after so many years they did this with the Beretania location recently as well as the Moilili location a few years back. Also the Liliha Street 2 story is not that old either.

Aj

MonkeyMan
July 5th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Well, the establishment isn't disappearing (Thank goodness!), but we lost Aunty Helen Chock, proprietor of Helena's Hawaiian Foods. I'll miss you, Aunty Helen.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/04/news/story03.html

Pomai
July 5th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Well, the establishment isn't disappearing (Thank goodness!), but we lost Aunty Helen Chock, proprietor of Helena's Hawaiian Foods. I'll miss you, Aunty Helen.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/04/news/story03.htmlCondolences to the entire ohana of Mrs. Chock. She did what she loved to do for over 60 years and left her duties in peace.

Thankfully the ohana will continue Helena's in honor of her. Hopefully her spirit will live within them and they'll have the same inspiration and passion she had in serving authentic Hawaiian food. After all, they know all her techniques!

I need to pay a visit there soon when they re-open.

shaveice
July 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
not really disappearing (for long) but the foodland at ala moana is undergoing some serious renovations and when it opens, it'll have a coffee beans & tea leaves and a beard papas shop....

kdramafan
July 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Same here when I worked at Avis Rent A Car across from Pucks Alley as a lot boy. We use have one of the lot boys or rental agents who worked the small office on the street level grab a rental and buy lunch at Rainbows. They had some ono delicious food.

tutusue
July 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Aloha to Arts Hawaii (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070711/BUSINESS17/707110381/1071)...after 60 years in business. I bought many a beautiful wedding gift there.

Kalihiboy
July 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Farewell to Flamingo's at Windward Shopping Center after 20 years:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/14/news/story02.html

Aj

glossyp
July 20th, 2007, 07:03 AM
The venerable Kwong On on Waialae will close next month. I just happened to stop in there this week for a snack. I guess that will most likely be the last time I enjoy one of their manapua. Nina Wu from SB has the story (http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/20/news/story04.html).

Lei Liko
July 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The venerable Kwong On on Waialae will close next month. I just happened to stop in there this week for a snack. I guess that will most likely be the last time I enjoy one of their manapua. Nina Wu from SB has the story (http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/20/news/story04.html).

Being that I work only 2 blocks away and I get my lunch there at least once a week, I have to say that I'm saddened to hear about this. I don't know what I'll do without my pint of chow fun and 3 pieces dim sum for less than $3! :(

A co-worker mentioned something about Kwong On closing last March but according to him, the owners decided to stick it out for the summer.

MixedPlateBroker
July 20th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Thank you for the heads up re Kwong On. Used to be my regular brunch stop when I worked evenings. Their baked manapua, pork hash and chow fun will be sorely missed.

Anyone know whatever happened to New Campbell Chinese Restaurant in Kapahulu? They just closed one day and never reopened. No sign, answering machine message, etc.:(

ploal5333
July 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I just found out today New Eagle Cafe on Nimitz is under new ownership, apparently since March. The waitress told us the old Japanese lady owner wanted to take it easy and decided to sell. Looks like the new owners are Korean, maybe Chinese. About half the staff stayed on.

Anyway, I hope NEC doesn't go the way of Columbia Inn Kaimuki. When the new owners took over the quality and service went downhill. I did notice that the mahi mahi was cooked with egg batter, Korean style. Also, service was a bit slower.

1stwahine
July 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I just found out today New Eagle Cafe on Nimitz is under new ownership, apparently since March. The waitress told us the old Japanese lady owner wanted to take it easy and decided to sell. Looks like the new owners are Korean, maybe Chinese. About half the staff stayed on.

Lemme see...the last time I went there was three weeks ago. The lady you're talking about is still serving. She was the original owner. Her son took over several years. They moved to the Nimitz location from Downtown. They also had another one which folded couple years ago.:( The new owners are Korean.

The prices have gone up. The food quality has changed. Hopefully, things will get better. They have competition across the street ~ Nicos and Uncles!;)

Auntie Lynn

tutusue
July 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM
New Eagle Cafe has held a soft spot in my heart for being the "staging" area for the employees and families of those killed during the Xerox murders (http://starbulletin.com/1999/11/02/news/story1.html) in 1999. I can't begin to imagine what that restaurant must've gone thru during the course of that day. I remember the news reporting how the restaurant opened it's doors to those affected on that fateful day.

Pomai
September 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
The Oriental Buffet restaurant that recently opened in May at the former site of Jack in the Box at the corner of McCully and Kalakaua in Waikiki has already closed their doors...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/jibwaikiki_buffet.jpg

It's been shut down the entire labor day weekend (perhaps even before that), and there's a sign out front looking for a new tenant.

That was quick. I wonder what happened? Not enough business? They were featured recently on the cover of Advertiser's Dining Out section, but apparently even that wasn't enough. The lease rent there must be ASTRONOMICAL.

DannyWilliams
September 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
The Oriental Buffet restaurant that recently opened in May at the former site of Jack in the Box at the corner of McCully and Kalakaua in Waikiki has already closed their doors...

The lease rent there must be ASTRONOMICAL.

Another possibility of its FAILURE is it looked too much like the old Jack In The Box the PINK seen in the picture kills their look.
What could have worked in their favor is they should have made some renovations and tailor it to their look.
Their business being mentioned in the paper may have been promising but the owners should have gone the extra mile IMO to get their business goin 24/7 with constant advertisting. I hate to see what the INSIDE Looked like. :D

Roddee
September 4th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Has anyone tried the food at the Oriental Buffet? I went there once and once was enough. They had a $2 off coupon in the Advertiser's Dining Out section in the Sunday paper so I decided to give it a try for lunch. Boy was I disappointed. I know, what can i expect for $8. Apparently, it wasn't much. The only thing decent was the fried chicken wings and sweet sour spareribs. Egg fu yung was tasteless and dry. Sad looking noodles and fried rice. Beef broccoli had no beef. Hot and sour soup was not hot nor was it very sour. Few other items looked so bad I didn't even want to chance them. Dessert was pineapples, papayas, and some kind of cheap looking cake. Biggest disappointment was the drinks. All they had was a soda chiller like the kind you see at the supermarket checkout stands. They had two liter sodas in there that you had to pour your own soda from. Ice (half melted) was placed next to the cups in a couple of water pitchers with a spoon inside. I am not surprised to hear that they closed down. It was not a question of IF but WHEN. Geez, what a dive.

MixedPlateBroker
September 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
The screaming neon pink exterior put me off even considering stopping in for a meal. My gut feeling was that anyone who had the bad taste to ruin a perfectly good fast food shell could possibly be in league with the people responsible for shipping deadly pooch vittles to the U.S.
I kid! I kid! (a little)

Lei Liko
September 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I ran into one of Magoo's old bouncers last night at Kelly O'Neals and he mentioned that "The Varsity" will be opening on Friday at the old Magoo's location.

Can anyone confirm this? I didn't see anything in the papers so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

He described the renovations that went on since Magoo's closed and if he's right on, then I can't wait to check that place out.

cynsaligia
September 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM

It's been shut down the entire labor day weekend (perhaps even before that), and there's a sign out front looking for a new tenant.

That was quick. I wonder what happened? Not enough business? They were featured recently on the cover of Advertiser's Dining Out section, but apparently even that wasn't enough. The lease rent there must be ASTRONOMICAL.

i just read in the PBN that oriental buffet was open only four months and that the monthly rent was a jaw-dropping $30,000. hadunno what the oriental buffet leadership was smoking when they thought they'd have a possibility of breaking even with their kind of restaurant in that expensive of a space.

I ran into one of Magoo's old bouncers last night at Kelly O'Neals and he mentioned that "The Varsity" will be opening on Friday at the old Magoo's location.

Can anyone confirm this? I didn't see anything in the papers so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

He described the renovations that went on since Magoo's closed and if he's right on, then I can't wait to check that place out.

eric, a couple of friends and i went to have dinner at the greek corner at puck's alley. whatever's in the former magoo's spot was still boarded up. but through the boards, we could see the myriad of bar taps, and that made us happy.

Pomai
September 22nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
i just read in the PBN that oriental buffet was open only four months and that the monthly rent was a jaw-dropping $30,000. hadunno what the oriental buffet leadership was smoking when they thought they'd have a possibility of breaking even with their kind of restaurant in that expensive of a space. That's how much it costs to operate The Shack in Hawaii Kai. The only way to cut the cake here is to either stay open late hours like Jack in the Box used to do, and/or sell plenty of liquor and sex (visual eye candy). Or sell $12 hamburgers like they do across the street.

Shack does all of the above (except the burgers aren't that expensive), and the formula works.

cynsaligia
September 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
That's how much it costs to operate The Shack in Hawaii Kai. The only way to cut the cake here is to either stay open late hours like Jack in the Box used to do, and/or sell plenty of liquor and sex (visual eye candy). Or sell $12 hamburgers like they do across the street.

Shack does all of the above (except the burgers aren't that expensive), and the formula works.

is that how much hawaii kai shack pays for rent alone (as in oriental buffet's case) or is that what it costs to operate on a monthly basis?

Pomai
September 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
is that how much hawaii kai shack pays for rent alone (as in oriental buffet's case) or is that what it costs to operate on a monthly basis?Yup. That's the monthly lease rent, not including utilities and, most importantly, OVERHEAD, according to Brendan. I'm not sure what the square footage figures are in comparison to this Waikiki location. But the Shack IS located on the waterfront, which is a HUGE factor. I'll check back with Bren' tomorrow to verify that claim.

Seriously, @ $30,000/month, I'd much rather be where Shack is, than at this Waikiki location, which is mostly just surrounded by automobile traffic and pedestrians on another mission (but to go there). Plus, in Hawaii Kai you have the regulars (like me), a sense of being part of a community and a much slower pace vs. being stuck in a hurried urban jungle.

Go check out the The Shack Hawaii Kai (http://www.shackhawaiikai.com). It's such a cool place, and the burgers are great. They need to renovate the bathrooms though. Other than that, solid.

Imagine what Roy's pays for that huge upper-floor corner space in front of Hawaii Kai Towne Center overlooking Maunalua Bay. Ouch! And he's been there for years. Every night that place slams, so there ya' go.

oceanpacific
September 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Imagine what Roy's pays for that huge upper-floor corner space in front of Hawaii Kai Towne Center overlooking Maunalua Bay. Ouch! And he's been there for years. Every night that place slams, so there ya' go.

My classmate in Hilo who owns a restaurant gave me a $50.00 Roy's gift-card. That wasn't enough to cover even one of us when I used it for my AF's birthday. :eek:

LikaNui
September 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Go check out the The Shack Hawaii Kai (http://www.shackhawaiikai.com). It's such a cool place, and the burgers are great. They need to renovate the bathrooms though. Remember when the bathrooms were upstairs, before The Shack expanded? (Maybe the old ones are still upstairs. Last time I ate there, I used the newer bathrooms downstairs. They were clean at the time.)
Now I frequent The Shack in Kailua instead of the Hawaii Kai location, just because it's so much closer. (It's not on the water, though, darn it.)
No matter which location, I'm a big fan of The Shack.
Ask me what two things I'd want if I got stranded on a desert island, and I'd say The Shack, and Bob's Big Boy.
:D

oceanpacific
September 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
BOB'S BIG BOY .............. now, there's a place I haven't been to for YEARS, no, make that DECADES! I don't frequent the Mapunapuna area that much, though I whiz by on the H-1 almost daily.

I may give them a try as I'll be taking one of my clients to lunch next week. He works in the area.

cynsaligia
September 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
Go check out the The Shack Hawaii Kai (http://www.shackhawaiikai.com).

i'm familiar, thank you. and eric? chances are very good you and he have breathed the same air on numerous occasions if you go there often. ;)

beer, wings, burgers--always a seductive combo.

cheap, poorly cooked chinese food highlighted by screaming neon pink? not so sexy.

infinitypro
September 22nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Don't know if this was posted earlier in the thread (should search, but...honeslty, lazy) I apologize.

Anyways, when I moved home 'bout two years ago I was disappointed that there no longer was

WASHINGTON SAIMIN on King Street.
SEI'S on Waialae.
KC DRIVE INN on Kapahulu (again, I ate my first waffle dog at the original location).

and...WISTERIA was closing!

Lei Liko
September 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
eric, a couple of friends and i went to have dinner at the greek corner at puck's alley. whatever's in the former magoo's spot was still boarded up. but through the boards, we could see the myriad of bar taps, and that made us happy.

A friend drove by last night and it looks like the Varsity is open for business! Beer flowed, the jukebox blared, and friend's eyes almost popped out when she saw the new furniture.

Payday's tomorrow! You know where I'll be headed!

AbsolutChaos
September 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
To replace the TGI Friday's location in Waikiki: some kind of Hawaiian steakhouse (formerly Buzz's Steakhouse)

1stwahine
September 30th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I dunno if this was posted.

Anyways, I went to Chinatown and I was horrified to find out the Chinese Candy/Cookie Shop da one located next to Nam Fong Roasted Foods is no longer there. There is no sign to say where they went. Nuttin.:(

Poof be gone.:eek:

Another one bites dee dust.

Sad. I used to end my Exclusive Chinatown Tours there.

I'll miss their delicious Almond and T Cookies!

Auntie Lynn

Pomai
September 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Auntie, I remember recently one of our local media outlets did a story about them, but I can't remember whether it was TV or print. Try search HA, SB, KHON, KGMB, KHNL or KITV's website for it. IIRC, they basically got too old to continue, similar to Kwong On in Kaimuki.
I dunno if this was posted.

Anyways, I went to Chinatown and I was horrified to find out the Chinese Candy/Cookie Shop da one located next to Nam Fong Roasted Foods is no longer there. There is no sign to say where they went. Nuttin.:(

Poof be gone.:eek:

Another one bites dee dust.

Sad. I used to end my Exclusive Chinatown Tours there.

I'll miss their delicious Almond and T Cookies!

Auntie Lynn

1stwahine
September 30th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Auntie, I remember recently one of our local media outlets did a story about them, but I can't remember whether it was TV or print. Try search HA, SB, KHON, KGMB, KHNL or KITV's website for it. IIRC, they basically got too old to continue, similar to Kwong On in Kaimuki.

Pomai, I googled.heheheh

And I found it.:D

Chinatown bakery called irreplaceable
Shung Chong Yuein Ltd. is closing next week after 45 years
By Erika Engle:)
http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/24/news/story04.html

"SHUNG CHONG YUEIN LTD. on Maunakea Street, a family-run Chinatown institution, will close next Thursday after 45 years of selling traditional Chinese treats and sweets.

Its founders, 82-year-old Shing Yuen Ng and his wife, Chow Hop Ng, "in her late 70s," are going to retire, said Ericson Ng, their youngest son and president of the company. He is also a dentist with a practice in Nuuanu."

Yeah, Pretty Lady wrote about their closing.hahahaha

I also found a recipe foa their famous sesame/peanut candy recipe!
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jul/25/il/hawaii707250347.html

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Keanu
September 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I liked Shung Chong Yuein, even if their manapua had hair inside sometimes.

i-hungry
September 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Aiya! I posted about Shung Chong Yuen in this very same thread. About 3 pages back.

1stwahine
September 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Shung Chong Yuen, the Chinese bakery on Maunakea street, closed this week. They have been in business for a very long time.

My apologies, I didn't see it.

Auntie Lynn

i-hungry
October 3rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
No. Problem. I didn't think anyone would know the place by its name. Not even my Chinese friends can remember it.

cynsaligia
October 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
john dominis is closing (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071003/BUSINESS04/710030385/1071).

but the advertiser had a really bad typo on its website. pasting here, bcs i'm sure sooner or later they'll fix it:

Posted on: Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Hawaii's John Dominus restaurant being sold

By Andrew Gomes
Advertiser Staff Writer

The John Dominis Restaurant in Kaka'ako is being sold to a Japan-based investor. Its present owner says redevelopment is inevitable.

REBECCA BREYER | The Honolulu Advertiser

Kaka'ako's waterfront fine-dining restaurant John Dominis may be headed for redevelopment under a plan by owner D.G. "Andy" Anderson to sell the business to a Japan-based investor.

The longtime restaurateur and former politician is seeking state approval to transfer his lease for the state-owned site to Ocean Investments LLC.

Anderson has arranged to sell John Dominis with a provision for him to continue operating the restaurant with its adjacent wedding and meeting facilities for a minimum of 18 months.

"We'll run it as usual," he said.

But Anderson added that factors including the 254-seat restaurant's age, expensive ground rent, rising property taxes and the site's attractiveness make redevelopment inevitable.

"The land rent is getting pretty high, and a restaurant complex in itself won't be able to pay the bills much longer," he said. "It'll have to be redeveloped. The building is tired. The restaurant is too big for today's market. It had its time."

John Dominis has been in business since 1979, perched alongside the entrance to the Kewalo Basin commercial boat harbor in a long-isolated, largely industrial area of the Kaka'ako waterfront.

while i wouldn't suggest dinner (overpriced, poorly executed, bleh!) there, i'd highly recommend the sushi and oyster bar, where you can also have a flight of sake. yes, it's pricey, but the sushi and oysters are worth it, compared to the regular entree stuff (as i've said before in another thread, at least one of the sushi chefs is from the beloved sushi king on...king st), the view is uncomparable, and the restaurant itself is a piece of honolulu history.

Palama Kid
October 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM

How did I miss this post? I fell to the ground on Waialae and bawled my eyes out when I stopped by and saw the empty storefront. Sheesh, I just started frequenting Kwong On earlier this year.