Local kine food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local kine food

One thing I missed most about being away from home is the food. I make most local food at home, thanks to my late step-father teaching me to cook. But there's something about mixed plate lunches I can't quite duplicate. Hey, and what's with L&L buying all the mom and pop diners? What a loss! I found an obscure webpage from a '69 Star Bulletin article on Zippy's chili with its recipe. Broke da mout'. And what a relief. At least I can make chili dog plate with rice and macaroni salad for my wife--that's was one of first dates (big spender, no)?

What foods do you miss the most and wish you could make?

Re: Local kine food

I'm pretty lucky; I live about 40 minutes away from Uwajimaya, a huge Asian grocery store dat carries pretty much of everything I like... except hard for get POI!! Can get frozen Zippy's chili, and all kine stuffs from back home, or else da ingredients for make um. Jass axe Lurkah!
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Comment

Aloha all,

L&L have gone big time they are everywhere. Any chance of getting that Zippy's recipe from you??? Trade you one good one for maui style chow fun.

aloha no

Lonothedog

Comment

Alohaworld.com lists a couple of Zippy's Chili "clone" recipes:

http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe...&category=Beef

http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe...&category=Beef

Haven't tried either. I don't believe Zippy's has ever divulged its chili recipe. It's a closely-guarded trade secret to them.

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by lonothedog
          Aloha all,

L&L have gone big time they are everywhere. Any chance of getting that Zippy's recipe from you??? Trade you one good one for maui style chow fun.

aloha no

Lonothedog

The first link zztype provided is the same one I had, but got a long time ago when it still cited Star Bulletin's article. It tastes really close to the real thing. Close enough for me not to notice a difference from the mainland. Can I still have the chow fun recipe? Mahalo!

Comment

Cracking the Chili Code

Zippy's mentions on the packaging of their frozen Original Chili that there's Portuguese Sausage in it.

Out of curiosity, I bought some canned CATTLE DRIVE brand Chili from Costco. Just your typical (but good) ground beef & bean chili in a can. I then added ground-up uncooked Portuguese Sausage (Purity brand) into the pot with the Chili and cooked it for about 20 minutes.

That was it! Tasted pretty much like Zippy's original to me! Only a hardcore Zippy's chili regular might taste the difference. Best of all, it was so easy to do vs. making the whole thing from scratch.

Only thing, due to regional differences, Portuguese Sausage sold in Hawaii may taste different than what's sold in Virginia.

Zippy's website has a complete selection of local favorites that they ship just about anywhere.

One big difference between Hawaii and the mainland, is we usually eat Chili over white rice. Most mainland places serve it over spaghetti noodles. True?

As for L&L buying out other mom & pops, never heard of that. They're expanding rapidly through independent franchise ownerships. They now have more locations on the mainland than in Hawaii.
            Last edited by Pomai; November 29, 2005, 03:18 PM. Reason: Link it
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Cracking the Chili Code

Originally posted by Pomai
              One big difference between Hawaii and the mainland, is we usually eat Chili over white rice. Most mainland places serve it over spaghetti noodles. True?
              I'm not sure if that is a nationwide thing. I don't eat chili, so I'm not an expert on it, but around here, (RI) I see most people eating chili like a soup, with maybe a piece of cornbread or a roll on the side.

I do know that chili served over spaghetti IS the way it's served in Cincinnati...the local Cincy chain known as Skyline serves it on spaghetti if requested. If I recall, Chili "1 way" at Skyline is just the plain chili served in a bowl; "2 Way", it is served on spaghetti; "3 Way", it is served on spaghetti, then topped with cheese (or something ), and so on, all the way up to "5 Way"..which is the chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and something else I don't remember.

I do remember Skyline's chili was quite different from the Zippy's variety; it was more of a highly seasoned type chili with mostly finely ground beef..resembling more to a "Coney Island" hot dog sauce than a Western-style chili with large chunks of beef, sausage, beans, etc.

Comment

ho! I can't believe she sent this! Sorry was reading this thread when the UPS guy came with a package. just thought I would share my excitment since someone here mentioned Zippy's. Pork Luau in a box. ho, just love that Lau Lau and Kalua Pig. so Ono! Ok, i'm done now, gotta sneak into that Banana Loaf before fiance get's home. lol

Ho! had to do some editing.... should have read the rest of the thread, you mention Skyline chilli!!! OMG! I was raised on that stuff! It is sooooooooo YUUUUMMMMM!!!!!!! Oh why?!?! Why that gotta be brought up now?! Me being pregnant and having craving's, this is not helping one bit!!! OMG! Ok, now I must call Gram's and have her send me some skyline chili! And yes, 3 way is chili spaghetti and cheese, 4 way is chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions OR beans. and 5 way is chili, spaghetti, cheese, onion AND beans. My all time Fav is.....and this is how ya say it when ya order it.... 4 way Onion. OMGoodness. This isn't helping at all to talk about skyline. LOL.
                And the eating chili with rice, I never heard of that until i met my hawaiian fiance, so I stick with my haole ways and eat it with spaghetti. Ok, now I must go sneak into that Banana Loaf from zippy's! Yum Yum Yum. next time warn me if ya gonna talk about Skyline, Goldstar, or even Frisch's (all 3 are in Ohio, which is where I am originally from)

Ok, for now, off to that banana loaf!
                Malia
                Last edited by Malia & Miki'ele; December 7, 2005, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Re: Cracking the Chili Code

Originally posted by Pomai
                  Nope. Mainland style is eaten in a bowl by itself, with crackers or bread on the side. And in Texas, I imagine serving chili over pasta would be a hanging offense, if anyone ever dared to commit such sacrilege!

Mmm ... my mom's chili ... yum. <slurp>

Comment

Originally posted by Malia & Miki'ele
                    Ho! had to do some editing.... should have read the rest of the thread, you mention Skyline chilli!!! OMG! I was raised on that stuff! It is sooooooooo YUUUUMMMMM!!!!!!! Malia
                    Malia: Just to let you know, Skyline Chili can be ordered online, if you ever feel you just have to have some and you are not in the Cincinnati area. Simply go to www.skylinechili.com and check 'em out!

Comment

Local 'Kine Choices for Starch

Originally posted by MadAzza
                      in Texas, I imagine serving chili over pasta would be a hanging offense, if anyone ever dared to commit such sacrilege!
                      Funny you say that. Everytime we go to a steakhouse or say.. Tony Roma's "Famous for Ribs", my GF always orders RICE with her meal. True local girl.

Still, that's a HANGING OFFENSE! Come on. W'ere talkin' all-American food icons here! That's like changing the color of "Old Glory" to Purple, White and Blue.

It's Steak N' Potato, not Steak N' Rice. Please repeat on chalkboard.

In my case, fully-loaded: Sour Cream, Chives, Bacon Bits (real, not fake please), cream cheese & choke butter. Oh yeah!

And don't you dare order that fillet mignon or ribeye well-done. That's life without parole in a cell with no TV.

Well, with the Honolulu Marathon underway this Sunday, many will partake in a carbo-loading Spaghetti dinner the night prior. Waikiki is sure bustling right about now.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Speaking of potatoes... don't you hate when they don't have chives and try to give you green onions instead.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Chili over noodles?! Never heard of such a thing. (But then I'm originally from Texas, where rice would be equally as strange.)

As I've said before, the stuff from Zippy's is just too bland for me. I can see buying it, adding some jalapeno peppers and tomatoes, then letting it stew for awhile over a low burner.

Then eating it alone in a bowl, with perhaps some saltine crackers added.

(Yep, cornbread on the side would be wonderful, but no one here knows how to make cornbread without putting way too much sugar in it.)

Comment

Working...
                          X