New Community Planned for Big Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Community Planned for Big Island

OK, so the developer of 'Aina Lea has promised to make 385 of the proposed 1,924 homes "affordable" at $200,000 apiece, but how much are they planning to sell the remaining 1,539 homes for? $700k+? And what's with the TWO (not just one) golf courses? What about the infrastructure surrounding Waikoloa Village? Sheesh! Are they going to relive the Hokulia debacle?

"...A California real estate company won state approval to begin building 1,924 homes, two 18-hole golf courses, a shopping center and other amenities on the Big Island near Waikoloa.

Bridge Capital will break ground on the new community called Aina Le'a within a month. The 1,060-acre project will include a 30-acre site for a public school and 26 acres of parks and walking and biking paths.

Bridge Capital promised to price 385 of the homes at around $200,000 to ease some of the overwhelming demand for workforce housing, but the large-scale development will also add to traffic congestion, which has become a problem along the Kohala Coast...."

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; December 1, 2005, 06:24 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: New Community Planned for Big Island

Don't be surprised to see more activity surrounding Waikoloa for the forseeable future. A lot of developers got entitlements for projects around Waikoloa in
    the 1970s and 1980s. With the better economic conditions, they are cashing
    in those entitlements. I read someplace that Waikoloa will be
    the second largest town on the Big Island after these projects are completed.

As far as I can tell any outstanding issues have been resolved with the people
    opposed to the project. So in short this is not a second coming of Hokulia.
    Hokulia is completely different issue entirely.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

When I was a kid very long ago, my Dad and I attended the dedication of the first thing they built in Waikoloa... the horse stables and the access road from the mauka Hawaii Belt Road (now Route 190). From the time Waikoloa was created, originally by a developer linked to Boise Cascade I believe, the plan called for widespread development of the area, which was and mostly still is barren rocky desert. So yes, there is no problem with people in the area accepting further development as this was the plan since at least the mid 1960s.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

To add more subtext to my response. In actuality the much bigger issue
        in developing the land around Waikoloa is unexploded ordinance, not
        sacred Hawaiian grave sites. They said it would cost close to billion
        dollars to clean up the ordinandce.

The Waikoloa Resort area is going to be growing too.
        http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...5/daily30.html
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

When I worked for Towne Realty in Mililani (condos/townhouses in Waikalani Valley below Oceanic Cable) I was keeping the books for their completed project over at Waikoloa. There was no need for me over there to go check them out, unfortunately.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
          X