John Lennon- it's been 25 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lennon- it's been 25 years!

It still hurts to think of John Lennon being shot that night in Manhattan. He'd just turned 40, and started recording a new album for the first time in 5 years. Yoko Ono was right there with John when it happened. His son Sean was only 5 years old at the time. Oh my God. December 8th, 1980. What a tragic day. My girlfriend and I met up with many others down at Ala Moana beach Park to sing his songs and cry and hold a candle vigil together letting out our collective grief. He was a good man, not perfect, but this world is better off for having had him. He made us think of what's truly important. Listening to songs like "Imagine" or "In My Life" or "Tomorrow Never Knows" has to stir the most innard parts of the listener's being. I'm sad for what we all lost that day when John Lennon left us. I'm thankful that he left us his music, so in that way he's still making an impact even 25 years later. Thanks John!
    Last edited by Menehune Man; December 2, 2005, 09:35 PM. Reason: Add alittle something...
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: John Lennon- it's been 25 years!

Do you remember the day? Did you do anything? Do you care? Just hoping for some thoughts in posts concerning John Lennon. Today I found "Happy Xmas (war is over)" on web media and enjoyed singing along.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

John Lennon....

....Bob Marley....

who do we have today that follows in these people's great tradition of using mass media appeal to promote peace? Bono comes to mind.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
        Do you remember the day?
        I remember the day (evening) it happened, as I was on the radio that night, and broke the news during a jazz program --- I dug out as many jazz versions of Lennon compositions as I could find, for the remainder of the broadcast.

Comment

I had just brought my copy of Double Fantasy that day.... That night I heard the news......oh, boy!

" you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one,
          I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one."

"Imagine"-John Lennon
          Last edited by alohabear; December 6, 2005, 07:49 AM.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

I remember I was working at a sandwich shop when I heard the news. It was just devastating and so weird to hear his new album playing constantly on the in house radio, and seeing the new issue of Rolling Stone with that cover photo. I still have that magazine.

Yeah, John Lennon was a huge talent, and not the nicest guy to his son Julian. Cynthia Lennon has a book out just now, think l'll pick up a copy.

Comment

Imagine...
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
              X