when we are lucky enough to help people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when we are lucky enough to help people

For dinner tonight, we decided to order a couple of Dominos pizzas, because we bought one of those fundraising cards where we can buy 1/get 1 free deals for a whole year (theyyyy're GREAT!)

Well, Eldest Child and I went to go pick them up, and when we got there, Dominos had inadvertently made one of ours wrong, and the manager was super cool by telling me that if I wanted it, he would give it to me for free! (How often does THAT happen?)

Walking out the door with three large pizzas, we then drove home. A few blocks over at a red light, I saw an older homeless woman sitting on the curb, asking a passerby for some money. I didn't even think about it; I grabbed that extra pizza (box is hot! The food is fresh!) and ran it to her, wished her a Merry Christmas, got back in my car, and as I drove through the light, my daughter noticed that the old lady was crying.

And I started to cry, too. I am so grateful for experiences like that. My mahalo to Dominos for providing her that great meal. If they hadn't been so cool about giving away a "bum pizza" I wouldn't have thought to give part of my dinner to that lady. But tonight I feel so lucky to have been able to pass along the blessing.

aloha, Pua'i

pax

Re: when we are lucky enough to help people

Ho, you da bomb! Dat was cool, even just reading about it! I might just try it sometime!

Blaine
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Mahalo...big time. You made me cry.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ho`omaika`i, Pua`i! Well done!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

That made me teary too. And now I am going to pass on a blessing today, probably at the Salvation Army kettle.

Comment

Love it ! Thank you for sharing, the story and the pizza. Mahalo o kokua.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Such a heartwarming story. It's my personal belief that everything happens for a reason; that there are no coincidences. Everything happened in the proper order for you last night. The beauty of this is you saw the opportunity and seized it, not letting it pass you by. And what a wonderful experience for your daughter. It sounds like a triple win situation to me. Well done!

Comment

We were not put on this earth to see through one another, but to see one another through.-Anonimous

On Friday night Nov. 11th, I was dropping my wife off at the airport. She had two weeks visiting family. I over heard a couple talking, that they had missed their flight. I went up and spoke with them to see if I could help. I found out that they're from Taiwan and have a 2 1/2 month old baby boy with them. The airline was EVA, (never heard of it) and no one was around. So I brought them home with me. I gave Yi-Hui (wife) fresh sheets and let them have our bed. In the morning we called and got them set up on a flight that night. So now relieved, we went sightseeing to the Pali Lookout, Aloha tower (Had lunch) and Kakaako Park. I work evenings so dropped them off at the airport then went to work. I've made some good new friends and enjoyed every minute. Note: You know how we complain about having a million people here, well in Taipei, Taiwan there's 5 million in one city!
                Last edited by Menehune Man; December 3, 2005, 08:33 AM. Reason: Add my story...
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                  [...]So I brought them home with me.[...]
                  This is, of course, a gamble for both parties. But sometimes we just instinctively know when it's right. I had a bit of a similar situation but in reverse.

My daughter and I were vacationing in Vancouver BC and decided to take the ferry to Vancouver Island to spend the day. Once our car was settled in we wandered upstairs to sit and watch the spectacular scenery. We were headed for Nanaimo at the north end and were going to drive south to Victoria. We sat down facing a middle aged lady who was reading a book. It was obvious we were tourists by all of our "ohs " and "ahs"! She started a conversation, loved that we were from Hawaii and invited us to her home when we disembarked the ferry. My daughter was not happy that I agreed but...it just felt right. Turns out Isabel lived in the first home next to the ferry landing. She gave us a tour of her home, talked story for awhile then told us about a wonderful little restaurant half way between Nanaimo and Victoria. I started writing down the directions. She took the paper from me and said..."Follow me.". She personally led us to the restaurant then wouldn't let us take her out to lunch because she already had plans! The Aloha Spirit certainly existed on Victoria Island! There were a lot of highlights during that trip and Isabel's kindness was at the top of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                    Walking out the door with three large pizzas, we then drove home. A few blocks over at a red light, I saw an older homeless woman sitting on the curb, asking a passerby for some money. I didn't even think about it; I grabbed that extra pizza (box is hot! The food is fresh!) and ran it to her, wished her a Merry Christmas, got back in my car, and as I drove through the light, my daughter noticed that the old lady was crying.

And I started to cry, too.
                    Gotta' admit, you had me shed a tear on this. I just can't imagine how wonderful that woman felt at the time. Maika`i!

I'll be looking forward to soon helping with Aunty & Blaine's "Rubbah Slippah Project".
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

About one dozen more buildings to go. I had to do it myself. I have a hard time climbing stairs...ok, Pomai?

1stwahine

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        About one dozen more buildings to go. I had to do it myself. I have a hard time climbing stairs...ok, Pomai?

1stwahine
                        Auntie...Is there any possibility of enlisting the help of 2 or 3 people at MWH? That job sounds way to overwhelming for one person.

Comment

I asked help from the President who is already busy. She gave me a list with the apartment numbers, names and number of children of each unit. Problem is ~ the amount of children doesn't match the apartment nor the names. It's a mess.

Therefore, I had to go to each unit and verify each child by myself to make sure it is correct. I've also had parents come to my unit to give me the information which saved me some walking.

Yeah, I've got some Blisters. It's ok.

It's for the children.

Everything should be completed in a few days.

Like the saying goes, "If you want something done, do it yourself!"

I just want to add, when the children come to my Hale, they are BAREFOOTED and excited! All can't wait for their "Slippah's!"

Comment

Aunty,

Are you recording each individual child's feet size? That sound's tedious. My impression was that it was going to be a bulk order of general children's sizes.

But hey, If going be individualized, mo' bettah! 'Dat way each slippah going fit jus' right!

Right on Aunty!
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                              Ho, you da bomb! Dat was cool, even just reading about it! I might just try it sometime!

Blaine
                              Go for it, Blaine. I actually had an opportunity to do something similar early this evening. Had it not been for Pua'i sharing her story I might've...no, I would've...overlooked that opportunity. Thanks for sharing, Pua'i.

Comment

Working...
                              X