Kau Inoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kau Inoa

So I have been reading over at moolelo.com about Kau Inoa and how it isnt the Akaka bill blah blah blah... my question is, When do petitions become obsolute. To me registering and signing hasnt done a damned thing in turning the tides towords a more Kanaka freindly Hawai'i. I do feel my ANCESTORS were wronged. However I have not seen and steps taken by any movement groups to get a side government in place should we Kanaka Maoli get back our governmental rights. If the pres said tomorrow Here is a free Hawaii a sovreign or free country What would we do?

Re: Kau inoa

Kau Inoa and the OHA registry (for all I know, now the same thing) aren't petitions so much as they are... well, registries, or rosters or rolls or censuses (censae? censi?) of folks with Native Hawaiian ancestry. From what little I know, they're more to track and contact us should the opportunity arise to build some kind of self-governance, rather than a governing system in and of themselves.

At best, I'd imagine the varous groups would convene and poll to build a framework, but again, nothing becomes real without some kind of official relationship with the Powers That Be.

Of course, I registered and got my nifty little card. It might be useless, but who knows, I might need it if the revolution comes!

Comment

Kau Inoa

I just want to remind all Hawaiians to sign up for Kau Inoa.

http://www.oha.org/

Aloha,
      Chad Kailipaka

Comment

On the Hawaiichannel website I notice Kau Inoa banners up again this year in the Merrie Monarch section I browse around. I go back and forth about registering (is that still going on anyway?) I hear a lot of negative about how you shouldn't need an ID card to prove you are Hawaiian, etc. Yet I know there are a lot of people who have signed up.

I'd like to hear from the lovely people of HT. What do you think the pros and cons are when it comes to Kau Inoa? Did you register? Why or why not?
        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
          On the Hawaiichannel website I notice Kau Inoa banners up again this year in the Merrie Monarch section I browse around. I go back and forth about registering (is that still going on anyway?) I hear a lot of negative about how you shouldn't need an ID card to prove you are Hawaiian, etc. Yet I know there are a lot of people who have signed up.

I'd like to hear from the lovely people of HT. What do you think the pros and cons are when it comes to Kau Inoa? Did you register? Why or why not?
          for me the jury is still out. Both my husband and I, along with our family trees, are documented in DHHL's databases, and that's enough. If there comes a time where I can see a point in registering with OHA's Kau Inoa, I will reconsider it then. Until now, I don't need a shirt, bumper sticker, ID card, free coupons or nifty email telling me I am a Hawaiian.

pax

Comment

No Hawaiian blood in me, so I cannot sign up, but I know many of the folks coordinating the registry for the PNW. Not sure I see the cons, since all they are claim to be doing now is compiling a list of people of Hawaiian ancestry, for the purposes mentioned above by pzarquon. Seems to be a way to get word circulated more efficiently, if desired in the future.

But people can read more for themselves here.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
              I hear a lot of negative about how you shouldn't need an ID card to prove you are Hawaiian, etc. Yet I know there are a lot of people who have signed up.
              Well the Nazis used to tattoo the Jews for ID I'm one of those who support the notion that you shouldn't need an ID card to prove you are Hawaiian or any other race.
              Last edited by alohabear; April 5, 2007, 12:24 PM.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                for me the jury is still out. Both my husband and I, along with our family trees, are documented in DHHL's databases, and that's enough. If there comes a time where I can see a point in registering with OHA's Kau Inoa, I will reconsider it then. Until now, I don't need a shirt, bumper sticker, ID card, free coupons or nifty email telling me I am a Hawaiian.
                That is precisely why I refuse to place my name as well.

My kupuna never had an ID card saying they were Hawaiian. Why should I need one?

And anybody over here ever asked Keone Nunes if he ever placed his name?

Heh heh. DON'T.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I don't need a shirt, bumper sticker, ID card, free coupons or nifty email telling me I am a Hawaiian.
                  Interesting. If this is a common perception of Kau Inoa's purpose, they have a lot of work to do.

Comment

From one of my afore-mentioned Kau Inoa registry friends:

"...the value I see in the present Kau Inoa process is that we will have names/addresses/et al of ethnic Hawaiians who have or do sign up (instead of having to start from scratch)...For those emotionally opposed to having to prove they are Hawaiian through a paper I.D. system, I can only say that is their prerogative but they need to assimilate into today's world where values (rightfully or not) are based on written documentation, not on the spoken word...For me, applicants are signing up for inclusion on a registry that will enable powers to be to contact them should the need ever come up."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      From one of my afore-mentioned Kau Inoa registry friends:

"...the value I see in the present Kau Inoa process is that we will have names/addresses/et al of ethnic Hawaiians who have or do sign up (instead of having to start from scratch)...For those emotionally opposed to having to prove they are Hawaiian through a paper I.D. system, I can only say that is their prerogative but they need to assimilate into today's world where values (rightfully or not) are based on written documentation, not on the spoken word...For me, applicants are signing up for inclusion on a registry that will enable powers to be to contact them should the need ever come up."
                      Many of us who oppose it are not doing so for emotional reasons but shrewd ones. The 'Powers That Be' at OHA have my address and know I exist, along with my husband; we each recieve our own copies of KWOoOHA every month. The PTB are also a state of Hawai'i agency, which is where DHHL is now; as state agencies they should acquire access to that richly-detailed database and then they will know e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. about both me and my husband, from genealogy, pedigree, income, you name it.

Bumper stickers and other chotzkies are the enticements of Kau Inoa to get us to sign up on their database, for which I will not trade my permission to include me in their largess as they attempt to politically champion for their version of 'sovereignty', of which I am suspicious. Bring on real elections, and I will sign up for those. But until then, what does Kau Inoa registry truly offer? Protect? The more I study it, the more I believe the possibilities render us vulnerable.

Rational, not emotional, Leo. Go tell your friend that.

pax

Comment

hi..a couple yrs ago while visiting our dad in oregon, we went to a kau inoa gathering. this was the 2nd time in over 35 yrs my dad had his 3 keikis visit at same time. we also brought 3 of his grandkids he'd only met once. the gathering was wonderful for us all. there were songs, films, dancing,lots of talking story and ono food!!! for the siblings it brought back so many memories.to hear pidgin again after so long!! for the youngsters, they got to see their heritage. since going they've all gone on line learning more..so for us it was def. a wonderful experience..mahalo!!

Comment

Rational, not emotional, Leo. Go tell your friend that.
                          Thanks, P.M. You can trust that I will.
                          (Actually, I may have turned him into an HT lurker.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Thanks, P.M. You can trust that I will.
                            (Actually, I may have turned him into an HT lurker.)
                            And we both know one kanaka who believes that Kau Inoa is just a marketing tool for OHA and doesn't serve the interests of the kanaka maoli.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              And we both know one kanaka who believes that Kau Inoa is just a marketing tool for OHA and doesn't serve the interests of the kanaka maoli.

Miulang
                              I live in a whole neighborhood of such kanaka who share this point of view. Only it isn't as much a marketing tool as a political one. When one lives in a blood-quantum driven society, the realization dawns that it is the best way to wipe out a people; just give it time. Look at the natives of North America; how many tribes today quibble about 1/4 vs 1/8, and if you ask around, the logical conclusion becomes that just about everybody who is from there has a smidgen of native ancestry.

OHA wishes to take us down that route, as if federal recognition and an 800 watts line and trustees who then work for the feds will now solve our problems. Native issue, native issue, Hawaiian issue, puh-leeze.

Think bigger. And smarter. And more long term.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X