Holiday Season in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Season in Hawaii

The Christmas & New Year's Holiday Season is truly a unique and special time of year in Hawaii...
    • The sunny, yet cool island weather
    • Gathering with friends and ohana
    • Holiday food, island style
    • Christmas music, island style
    • Lights & decorations wrapped around coconut trees
    • Honolulu City Lights
    • Community Christmas Parades
    • Surfers wearing Santa hats
    • Shopping abundance and variety
    • Taking the keiki to see plays and light displays
    • Cultural traditions
    • Religious traditions
    • Family traditions
    • The Aloha spirit of giving to those less fortunate

How do you feel?...
    • Any of the highlights above you'd like to elaborate on?
    • Is Hawaii the best place to be? Or is there another place in the world you prefer?
    • Love it? Or is Hawaii's holiday season a social, economic and/or religious sacrilege?
    • Love shopping? Where at? Credit sunk?
    • Reason to throw a party? Reason to leave the islands?
    • Do you go all out with lights and decorations? Scrooge?
    • If you're an expatriate or visitor, do you make it an annual tradition to visit the islands during the season?
    • Help those less fortunate?
    • Any interesting experiences to share?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Holiday Season in Hawaii

How do you feel?...

I feel miserable.

I got a lot of things to do for my classes, plus a grad project that hasn't even gotten off the ground yet. On top of that, my family is in a financial crunch because the tenants won't pay the rent 'cause of the season's gift giving and whatnot.

I'm starting to wonder if I can survive in this world or not.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I haven't spent Christmas in Hawaii since the early 70's. How sad is that?

My son use to ask me, "Is it true you can go the beach Christmas time?" I toldem' you can go everyday of the year if you like.

When Hawaii is home and da ohana is there you cannot help but miss Hawaii.

I waiting for my supply of BigIsland Candies Cookies and other local munches to come in?
      ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

i haven't missed a Chitsmas with my family in 35 years...all were memorable for one reason or another...one year we were robbed blind in the wee hours before Christmas morning...the burglars took everything but a few gifts, but my little sister, me and my older sister, 6, 11, and 17 at the time took it in stride...it was a lesson in the meaning of Christmas to see my mom and dad in tears at the thought of all of the things they had gotten for us plundered by heathen scumbags...we kids learned that year that Christmas is about family and charity, not a pile of wrapping paper and toy boxes...

one year when i was touring on the mainland, i almost didn't make it home for Christmas...my sister bought me a ticket home, partly to surprise my mother, and partly to lift her out of the sinister depression that had gripped her at the thought of having one of her "chickadees" away on the blessed day...

that Christmas turned out to be one of the ugliest blow-outs of all time, complete with my little sister getting slapped by an auntie and falling into a savage panic attack and me nearling choking out a random guest...

all Christmases since that one, 1998, i think, have been about as enjoyable and meaningful as anyone can hope...i know it's because instead of inviting tons of people over, now we just go out to dinner...
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          The Christmas & New Year's Holiday Season is truly a unique and special time of year in Hawaii...
          [...]
          • Any interesting experiences to share?
          I'm always amazed at the lengths people and businesses go to decorate. The Christmas spirit is truly alive and well in Hawaii.

My favorite exterior decoration story happened my first holiday season living in Makaha. It was Christmas 1992, 3 months after hurricane Iniki. The Waianae Coast, which has never been known for affluence, was still in clean-up mode. One family who lived in a really beat up old house on Farrington Hwy. in Nanakuli obviously had the spirit but not the funds. The exterior decorations consisted of holiday themed gift wrap covering one window facing the highway and a big, home made bow stuck to the center! And, there was still sand on their property that had washed across the highway from the beach during Iniki.

Comment

New Year's Eve.

The house I grew up in Kaneohe was THE PLACE for my parent's co-workers and friends to celebrate. The only thing required to bring was firecrackers. Strands of 'em. Duck brand, any brand. As long as it was long and had "da bomb" at the end.

Before midnight, we would string a rope from one light post to the other about 5 properties long. Then hang each string of firecrackers side by side. There were so many strings, that each string hung was touching the next.

When the clock struck midnight, my father had the honors (every year) of lighting the first string. The exploding first string would eventually create a chain reaction that lit the next, and the next, and the next.

At any given time, about 5 strings or more of fireworks would be going simultaneously, making the ground shake somethin' fierce.

Fireworks permits today hinder us from doing that. But those new "no permit needed" strings are fantastic! You know which I'm talking about? But shhhh... bumbai da fire marshall going require permit.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Tonight. Be there. I'll be!
              http://www.shackhawaiikai.com/boatparade05.html
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Tonight. Be there. I'll be!
                Me too...for a birthday celebration (not mine!). Well, not at The Shack, but Cha Cha Cha's. I'm sure you'll hear us!

Comment

The 2005 Festival of Lights Boat Parade at Hawaii Kai Marina was a floating success. The event took place last night and started just after dusk. They paraded throughout the Marina, making their way around Koko Isle for at least 2 hours. Everyone had a good opportunity to see them.

Not sure, but there seemed to be less entries this year than last. Still, it was a fun family event that many came to see.

Returning this year was last year's winner, the Hawaiian Volcano float. Complete with toga dudes and a dancing Mermaid. Hot. In every sense of the word.

Another interesting entry was a large catamaran with the word "Hanapa'a" inscribed on the side using rope lights. They had two long colored rope lights behind that resembled a fishing line. In tow were two rope-lit fishes. How cool is that!

Just like last year, The Shack was the place of choice for many of the boat entries to end the night. What a blast. I got to meet and take a picture of the Dancing Mermaid Girl and Santa Claus. Santa said I was nice, so he going bring me choke presents.

I took a bunch of photos, but half my exposures were blown even though I had a tripod. Probably wrong shutter speed. Oh well, not to fret. I met Bev Liddle last night, Manager of the Hawaii Kai Marina Association. She said her photographer was on duty again this year, and they'll have some great shots up on their site later this week. I'll keep ya' posted.

Tutusue, I wish I had told you what I was wearing. Then perhaps I could have walked over to Cha Cha Cha and say hello to you. At one point I actually contemplated hollaring over there.. "Tutusue? Tutusue, where you?"
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]
                    Tutusue, I wish I had told you what I was wearing. Then perhaps I could have walked over to Cha Cha Cha and say hello to you. At one point I actually contemplated hollaring over there.. "Tutusue? Tutusue, where you?"
                    You shoulda, Pomai...really!! I contemplated the same thing 'cuz we were sooooo close. I was seated at the long party table at the bottom of the 3 stairs that lead from The Shack's lanai to Cha Cha Cha's lanai! But, I was hemmed in and couldn't leave the table without inconveniencing lots of other people. Had you stood on The Shack's lanai and softly called my name I woulda heard you as I was seated near the end of the table closest to The Shack! A fun evening, huh!

Comment

This is my third holiday season in Hawaii. It always seems a bit odd to me with the Shaka Santas, no talk of skiing at Tahoe, and "Da 12 Days of Christmas". Then again, I know a lot of people from the midwest to the east coast think that our Christmas in California just isn't the same without the snow too.

This year we're feeling the holiday spirit more than usual as we're here for a month sharing our daughter's first Christmas with her Hawaii grandparents and both our families here. The joy of being a father and watching her grow has more than compensated for losing my job of 13 years a month ago. I can always work, but she'll never be this age again. For this I'm truly thankful this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X