Hawaii Daiei stores sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Daiei stores sold

As early as February of next year, the Daiei stores in Honolulu will probably have a new name:

"...Daiei said it will sell its four O'ahu stores to Don Quijote Co., a discount retail chain with about 100 stores in Japan, known for selling everything from groceries to home appliances and luxury fashions.

Don Quijote and Daiei said the sale is expected to be completed Feb. 8, according to Bloomberg News. A sale price was not disclosed.

Theresa Chang, a spokeswoman for Daiei's Honolulu-based subsidiary, The Daiei (USA) Inc., said it will be business as usual for the next couple of months, but she said she was unsure how Daiei stores might change after Don Quijote takes over.

"We will continue Daiei until next year, probably until February," she said. "After that ... it's up to the new owner," she said...."

Well, at least the new owners aren't WM!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hawaii Daiei stores sold

First kmart, then daiei?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I went to a Don Quixote store in Tokyo - it's like the dollar-section of Daiei, amped up on steroids!

Comment

The new owners have a funky website (flash):

http://www.donki.com

They have a Linux-like penguin as their mascot.

The lease under Daiei's Kaheka Street property is up in the air as A & B recently purchased it and plan to put some high rise there in the not so distant future.
        Last edited by mel; December 9, 2005, 07:58 AM. Reason: typo
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Well, at least the new owners aren't WM!
          That would have been tragic. That was the last news I read. That Walmart had an interest in buying out Daiei. What would the name become? DaiMart?

I'm so happy that a local investment group took over Shirokiya. We almost lost their one and only store in Ala Moana. Shirokiya is truly a historical icon of retail in Hawaii.

A&B putting up a high-rise condo on Daiei's Kaheka location? Great. Not.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            That would have been tragic. That was the last news I read. That Walmart had an interest in buying out Daiei. What would the name become? DaiMart?
            Whew! I'm glad you clarified that "WM" meant "WalMart" --- I thought it was a dig at "White Males"! (I should know better - everyone here would say "haole" anyway.)

Comment

Working...
            X