Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha From Nebraska!

Aloha Everyone,

I was actually looking for something else on google and found all of you! What a wonderful surprise for me especially since I been so homesick for Hawaii.
    I have been gone for 16 years come January. We first moved to Iowa where my mom is from and then moved to Nebraska in 1991. I live with my husband and 4 children in a country home on 10 acres just north of Grand Island, NE. I grew up in Palisades in Pearl City and Mililani. I miss Hawaii so much in the winter! Right now there is over 2 feet of snow on the ground and it is so bitter cold! I think the high this week was like 8 degrees and below zero with the wind chill!!!!!
    I am a stay-at-home mom to my 4 kids ranging from 8 months to 12 years old. I am also a scrapbooking consultant for Close to My Heart. My husband and I are saving to bring the kids to see my island home within the next 2-3 years. Long time to wait but tickets for 6 not cheap!
    My dad still lives in Palisades so at least we got a free place to stay!
    The thing I miss most aside from da people is all da ono food! I cook as much local food as I can and there is a store about 3 hours away that ships in local food. Frozen just not as good, though. I had sushi and sashimi for the first time in 10 years when we went to Vegas in October. I made a pig of myself! I was so full I could hardly walk back to the hotel! My dad told me I had to go to the California for some local kine food, but we never made it downtown so I missed out this trip! Would be so mcuh better in Hawaii anyway.
    I look forward to chatting and sharing with all of you and hearing some wonderful stories!

Mahalo for this site!
    Dayna

Re: Aloha From Nebraska!

Aloha, Dayna!

Midwestern winters, after growing up in Hawai`i? As a former Iowan myself, you have my sympathy (which is as deep as the snowfalls there sometimes.)

But you should be able to get some really good (and decently priced) pork, to make oven-style kalua pig! And a couple years back, at the Iowa State Fair, there was a booth making really ono shave-ice!

Okay, that's little consolation...

Comment

Aloha and Welcome Dayna to HT! See you on the Boards!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

oh yeah, I make oven-style kalua pig all the time!! I serve with spinach and it is close to taro leaf, but just not the same. And I just cannot stand the frozen poi you can buy here. My family loves SPAM meals, and chili and rice and beef stew and all of that type of local style fare. And there are lots and lots of oriental groceries here to get stuff for chinese and filipino style food. What I miss is all the poke and fresh fish and coconut and fruit and pupu and abalone! Can't find that anywhere! lol Now I hungry! And we have shave ice at home...I even make it with the azuki beans and ice cream just like I grew up with!

Thank you for the welcomes...Dayna

Comment

Working...
        X