No announcement yet.

Congratulations Surfing Mahi'ai Randy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations Surfing Mahi'ai Randy!

Hawai'i Threads' own SurfingFarmboy Randy Shaffer has just completed the Honolulu Marathon. His information is below. Congratulations Randy!

Randall Shaffer #4442
    of Bristol RI USA

10K: 00:51:53
    Half Marathon: 01:51:02
    30K: 02:38:58
    Gun Time: 03:54:43
    Finish Time: 03:54:26
    Place Overall: 1749
    Place Men: 1414
    Place Men 45-49: 156
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Re: Congratulations Surfing Mahi'ai Randy!

Why anyone would submit themselves to such torture is beyond me but mucho congratulations on completing the race!

Comment

Great time. Congrats, Randy. Sounds like it might be time for a Jamba Juice! And, a massage!

Comment

Wow..you guys are fast!

I have to say, like I'd did in my original post when I got back here to the islands, that I had problems with the realitive warm weather, at least warm in comparison to the weather I train in RI. We don't see this kind of weather there until June and it hangs around only until early September. Needless to say, I did suffer, having trained in far cooler conditions for the last couple of months.

I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who suffered. If I came in 1750 overall out of a field of 28,000+ runners with a 3:54, that just tells me that others as well were battling the warmth as well. The trades weren't bad this year..in fact, they were welcome relief.

I missed qualifying for Boston by 23 mins...if I could have somehow managed to run each mile of the race 50 seconds quicker..yeah, I know..easier said than done.

All told though, I'm happy...I've got my finsher's shirt and medal on as I write this post..it's the only time I will wear it. After this, it goes into my collection of running memoribilia. (I've always considered it to bad running luck to wear a finisher's shirt or medal any time after a race.)

BTW, from what I heard before the race, over the loud speakers in the staging area, that the Honolulu Marathon is the 3rd largest in the USA; 5th largest in the world. That's what they were telling us. In any event, it's a monster race than every serious runner needs to attempt at least once.

As usual, Honolulu put on quite a magnificent race for all of us to enjoy. The walk down Kalakaua Avenue after the race was spectacular as well...it looked gorgeous today. I hope I can make it back for 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Great time. Congrats, Randy. Sounds like it might be time for a Jamba Juice! And, a massage!
          Hey...I'm drinking an Aloha Pineapple JJ right now....it might be one of many I enjoy today!
          Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; December 11, 2005, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
            [...]BTW, from what I heard before the race, over the loud speakers in the staging area, that the Honolulu Marathon is the 3rd largest in the USA; 5th largest in the world. That's what they were telling us. In any event, it's a monster race than every serious runner needs to attempt at least once.

As usual, Honolulu put on quite a magnificent race for all of us to enjoy. The walk down Kalakaua Avenue after the race was spectacular as well...it looked gorgeous today. I hope I can make it back for 2006.
            And, as usual, the 'bombs bursting in air' at the start about knocked me outta bed in Kakaako! I can't imagine how startling it is for those in condos nearer the start line around Ala Moana Center! And, I'd guess that any complaints over the years might be ignored as it's a once a year event that brings millions to the state. This year it's projected at $100 million. Randy, how piercing is that sound at the start line? A group of us film industry people were talking last night about what would happen if we applied for a permit to make that kind of noise at that time of morning in that same area. Regardless, the marathon is a great revenue generator for Hawaii.

Comment

You're on this list:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/11/n...sultsmain.html

You can compare your time with the guys around you, and where they are from, too.

Aloha,

Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                You're on this list:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/11/n...sultsmain.html

You can compare your time with the guys around you, and where they are from, too.

Aloha,

Blaine
                I noticed that the Advertiser had also listed the top 200 mainlanders as well. I'm going to have to go out and get both copies of the paper, see if they have this list printed in there as well, and keep 'em as souveniers of the race.

Mahalo for the heads up!

Randy

Comment

Sorry, they didn't print the top 200 in the Bulletin. That was my doing, online only. I sort of went nuts with the stuff. I had all these photos and I got the results from the Marathon guys, so published all kine stuff online, whatever i could get my hands on.

I haven't seen today's Bulletin yet, but I don't think they published the raw lists. I'm pretty sure the Tizer printed the lists, however. Be sure to get one of them.

Whatever the case, the Starbulletin.com page will stay there forever. You can look at it whenever you like, print it, save as a PDF, whatever.

Aloha,

Blaine

Comment

Hey Randy...how'reya feeling today?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      Hey Randy...how'reya feeling today?
                      Never better...I'm home..I'm in Hawai'i...what more can I ask for!

Anyway..my quads are wicked sore, but it's nothing a little rest or Advil can't handle. I did go out for a nice little walk around Kailua to work out some of the lactic acid that built up in my muscles during the race. I'll probably be ready to resume training for the next marathon I run in about a week.

Comment

Congrats Randy!!

Lovena

Comment

They did print a bunch of names, but stopped at the first 100 men and women finishers. Your name wasn't in the paper Bulletin on Monday.

Congratulations again!

Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            They did print a bunch of names, but stopped at the first 100 men and women finishers. Your name wasn't in the paper Bulletin on Monday.

Congratulations again!

Blaine
                            Of note, the Advertiser listed everybody who finshed the race...from #1 on down to #24261...in a special pull-out section. And they did list, in the regular sports section, the top #200 men overall, top #200 women overall, top #200 mainlanders, top #500 Japan, top #50 Germany...and so on. It's almost if a runner looked hard enough, he/she would find themself listed in some "Top" list!

Comment

Working...
                            X