Congrats, marathoners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats, marathoners!

Even though I was just cheering and giving water out to the Honolulu Marathoners this year, I just wanted to start a thread for anybody even remotely connected to the Honolulu marathon. Here's your chance to brag about your love ones/friends/enemies/funny stories, etc!

I have an immense respect for anybody who manages to complete any marathon, so here's my congrats to you.

My boyfriend did pretty well. This was his first one (he's a triathlon guy normally). I am very proud of him.

I was glad to trade tables at Duke's with somebody who had two marathoners in their group (we grabbed the first available table initially, which happened to be a big table), and we all got to celebrate and share in the goal of finishing the marathon (ok, not me, but my boyfriend anyway) with some champagne.

Cheers to all you marathon runners--may you recover quickly!

Re: Congrats, marathoners!

Two tings. . . .

First, Congrats to the marathoners and volunteers.

Second, Where the hell were you for the Susan Komen Race for the Cure???????????? FYI I've recently relocated to Honolulu and participated in the Race in October. I was very disappointed in the lack of turnout for such a great cause. I appreciate running 26.2 miles, but I appreciate more supporting a woman fighting breast cancer and those who go out and support them.

Yep, I've been drinking. That's how I feel (and I did notify the local Komen branch of my shock at the lack of participation and news coverage of the event.)

Say O Nara.

Comment

Stephen, that just sucks, and alcohol is no excuse.

If you want to lament the low Komen turnout, you're more than welcome, and I perhaps might have joined you. However, there is (no pun intended) absolutely no reason to come down on someone else for cheering for or participating in another related activity.

The truth is, you don't know what anyone does with his or her time or money, and even if you did, it would be irrelevant. Nobody owes you an explanation or excuse for NOT participating in what YOU think is a worthy cause, so you should take your righteous condemnation and turn it into something positive.

About twenty of my students and another fifteen colleagues participated in the Komen walk (that's about 15% of our student body, plus 15% of our employees), and rather than bitch about the millions of people who weren't there, I choose to thank the hundreds who were, including people like you.

The contribution to the community I can use. The bitter taste in your mouth you can keep to yourself.
      Last edited by scrivener; December 11, 2005, 11:07 PM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
        Two tings. . . .

First, Congrats to the marathoners and volunteers.

Second, Where the hell were you for the Susan Komen Race for the Cure????????????
        Hmmm...on Sept. 18 of this year, Boston had its Susan Komen Race for the cure. I was there with my full support. You can read it about it at this link: Susan Komen Race for the Cure.

Let me ask you, Stephen: Were you there?
        Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; December 12, 2005, 04:37 AM. Reason: "Its" had incorrect apostrophe inserted

Comment

Stephen, Drunk or no drunk, das no excuse foa what you expressed to AbsolutChaos. If you took the time in reading some of the threads, she's been more than involved in many benefits and have given to various Organizations Public as well as Private.

Come down the hill from which you live next time you drink and stumble...

...easy to find your Whack Whacks!

MWH!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I am going to change my name to most often misunderstood because I am quicker to speak than think - and sometimes I lack in the clarification category.

My comment was directed generally at the fine residents of Honolulu and local attendees for the marathon - not at Absolut Chaos. I was being absolutely serious in my congratulations.

I was also being absolutely serious in my displeasure with the disappointing turnout for the Race for the Cure. Yes, I know it's great that we had everyone out who attended and it was a wonderful day. Taking nothing away from everyone who was there (or tried to be there,) I am still upset at the volume of participation and pathetic lack of media coverage for the Race for the Cure. I was told by the local Komen council that 6am was to early for the media to attend the Race. BS and I shared my feelings with both of the local newspapers.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback. I will say the following:

Scrivner - I think we'd get along very well. You might be taken aback by my sarcasm and sharp tongue, however I believe you would appreciate my brutal honesty and acceptance for all people. I will not however, keep quiet on a subject that I feel strongly about (nor those I feel weakly about.) I wish that all people throughout the world would speak up - my guess is that it would help change the world for the better.

My fellow Surfer - Had I been in Boston on the 18th of September, I would have particpated in the Race for the Cure. Honolulu's Race was my second Race for the Cure this year (and I don't believe that my participation is any more special than everyone elses.)

Auntie Lynn, I hope the beginning of this email answers your concerns.

Ragin Cajun
            Last edited by Stephen; December 12, 2005, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Stephen...I appreciate your attempt to explain yourself but you didn't touch on what appears to be the culprit...drinking and posting. Is that something that should be avoided so that there's less of a chance of being misunderstood...and more of a chance to think before you speak? Only you can answer that. IIRC, you've referenced drinking while posting previously.

No one should keep quiet on a subject they're passionate about. You know that old adage..."It's not what you say but how you say it."? You can be brutal or you can be tactful. It's your choice but the former might get you in a lot of hot water in the Aloha State. Your "acceptance for all people" won't make a bit of difference in that case. Acceptance of you will become an issue.

Using the Susan Komen race as an example...
              *If* you were "brutally honest" with the media and anyone else you contacted to voice your displeasure, I doubt you did the race any good. If this race and it's cause is a passion for you have you considered getting involved in a positive way? Maybe volunteer thruout the planning process. You can make a difference. It's your choice whether you make a positive difference or a negative difference. I personally witnessed, during another charitable event, how a "brutally honest" volunteer negatively impacted the event. We lost some volunteers and entertainers because of her. She loved living in Hawaii but her attitude eventually cost her her job and her new friends. She just couldn't adapt to how things work in Hawaii, insisting she could change Hawaii instead. She eventually burned all of her bridges and moved back to the mainland.

When in Rome, Stephen, when in Rome...

I rest my case.

Comment

Working...
              X