Beginner's ukulele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner's ukulele?

Any advice for a complete beginner on where and what to buy in a decent, yet inexpensive uke? I want something better than what I can buy at Hilo Hattie's (i.e., no blue dolphins or palm trees painted on the front ) but I also don't want to spend big bucks on a Kamaka either. You know, something to try and learn chords on, to play around with and amuse me and my baby daughter. Something to help me decide if I like it enough to invest in a better one on my next trip; or that I won't kick myself for wasting a ton of money on every time I see it in the back of the closet.

Can I get something that fits that bill for about $100? I'd guess for that price I'd probably be looking at something made in China rather than locally, correct? Where would be a good place to start and what should I look for? I saw quite a variety at the swap meet yesterday but frankly was a bit intimidated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Beginner's ukulele?

Originally posted by NoCal Boy
    Any advice for a complete beginner on where and what to buy in a decent, yet inexpensive uke? ...
    Can I get something that fits that bill for about $100? I'd guess for that price I'd probably be looking at something made in China rather than locally, correct? Where would be a good place to start and what should I look for? I saw quite a variety at the swap meet yesterday but frankly was a bit intimidated.

Thanks in advance!

Costco here is selling a nice ukulele for between $80-$90. How about your Costco?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

In Hilo I found one for my son for about $40 + $10 for a case. So I guess in Honolulu any music store might be cheaper or there's always ebay .
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

I'm actually here in Honolulu (well, technically Waipahu) for a month visiting relatives for the holidays. I've been to the Waipio Costco already but didn't think to look there. Lavagal, which store did you see them at, the one in town? Hawaii Kai?

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I'm actually here in Honolulu (well, technically Waipahu) for a month visiting relatives for the holidays. I've been to the Waipio Costco already but didn't think to look there. Lavagal, which store did you see them at, the one in town? Hawaii Kai?

Thanks for the tip!
          Sorry if I kept you waiting. It was at the HI Kai store; but I would imagine the best selection of anything is at the Iwilei store AKA the center of the world.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal

Sorry if I kept you waiting. It was at the HI Kai store; but I would imagine the best selection of anything is at the Iwilei store AKA the center of the world.
            Lavagal, do you mean to say that the Iwilei Costco has more of a selection than the other branches? I always shop at the Hawai'i Kai store for local kine goodies and snacks (kakimochi, shredded ika, poi, etc.) and avoided the Iwilei store because of all the crazy traffic in that area, but maybe I need to rethink doing that if I'm actually missing out on things not available at Hawai'i Kai.

NoCal Boy, since you're out in the Waipahu area, see if you can get in contact with Sonny D Ukuleles, also in Waipahu. I heard rumors that Sonny was slowly ramping down on his production with the intent of retiring and moving to the mainland, so he might have some factory seconds or thirds that he might let go for some fast cash.

Comment

If you're willing to go a little bit above that, I'd recommend a Fluke. I've played several, and what they say is true: it's fun to look at, fun to play, and lovely to listen to. Don't let the "half-plastic" design fool you or turn you off. Ovations are plastic, and you wouldn't turn your nose up at an Ovation, I'm sure!

Otherwise, here's a search at Musician's Friend. MF has some good entry-level stuff at good entry-level prices. This particular search is for "ukulele" in the "$100-$200" range. I've had nothing but great service from MF.
              Last edited by scrivener; December 13, 2005, 02:56 PM. Reason: "Get on your bikes and ride..."
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Waipio Costco had ukulele day before yesterday for $85 with electronic tuner. They had a whole bunch. The ukulele was pretty nice, with abalone bindings and real glossy finish. Looked pretty good.

Blaine
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  Lavagal, do you mean to say that the Iwilei Costco has more of a selection than the other branches? I always shop at the Hawai'i Kai store for local kine goodies and snacks (kakimochi, shredded ika, poi, etc.) and avoided the Iwilei store because of all the crazy traffic in that area, but maybe I need to rethink doing that if I'm actually missing out on things not available at Hawai'i Kai.

Yup! That's exactly what I mean. Iwilei does have a better selection. Sometimes you can find things reduced really incredibly there. But I have to say, I see that at Hawaii Kai, too. But Iwilei has more gourmet food items, more prepared foods (chickens, ribs, salads, things to cook). I dare say the wine selection at Iwilei is better, too.

I know Hawaii Kai is slated for expansion and a gas station, so eventually I suspect we'll have all that, too.

The thing about shopping is what I like to refer to as "The Thrill of the Hunt." If there's a bargain to be sniffed out, man it is so satisfying to find it yourself!

Aloha.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Thanks to all for the tips! Have to take my wife for her haircut near old Waipahu tomorrow so I'll swing by Sonny D's while I'm waiting. If I don't find anything I'll check out Costco as a backup. Then again, Scrivener, your search included a "koa" uke for $130 which is very intriguing. Argh. Tough decision ahead, I can see....

Next: Any recommendations for an instructional book/CD/DVD to get me started?

As far as Costco is concerned, I always seem to find the most stuff when I go to the Iwilei store, but the Waipio store is soooo close and easy from my inlaws' place it's hard to make a special trip there.

Comment

Working...
                    X