Jake Shimabukuro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Shimabukuro

Don't forget to tune in to Jake's appearance on Conan tonight (12/13). I cna't wait to see how he performs on a national Tv broadcast!

Re: Jake Shimabukuro on Conan O'Brien

Bump. Stay up late or set your VCR's !

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/index.shtml

Comment

Good for Jake! It's aired on the East Coast already...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Good for Jake! It's aired on the East Coast already...
        Just saw a preview on our local news. Looks like Jake rocked the house. Noel Okimoto was on drums. Don't know who the guitar player was. Hmmm...that was probably a bass, not a guitar! Regardless...great exposure for Jake. Think I'll set the alarm!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Noel Okimoto was on drums. Don't know who the guitar player was. Hmmm...that was probably a bass, not a guitar!
          'Twas Dean Taba on bass.
          I taped it, but haven't watched yet, as I brought the tape to work - many people here want to see it as well.

Comment

Pretty cool--Jake got to sit next to Conan at the end of the show.

Comment

I, too, taped it and watched it this morning. Wow! Loved all the shakas. And Jake was pumped. He knew he'd done a great job and he just couldn't contain his excitement. The morning news reported that Conan ran out of time and didn't get a chance to interview Jake while he was sitting on the sofa and invited Jake back. Conan was clearly impressed. More shakas...more excitement...an ear to ear grin! Way to go, Jake!

Comment

Fortunately my mental alarm clock works pretty well -- I woke up just a few minutes after midnight, turned on the tube, and just a couple of minutes later Jake was on. And boy was he ever ON! Sizzling hot, as usual.
                Kind of amazing actually that he missed one or two notes at the very beginning, which is something I've never seen him do in countless times of seeing him play over the past 10 years. Must've been nervous about the live network cameras. But he settled right down and nailed everything after that. Conan was indeed extremely enthusiastic and was gushing about how he definitely wanted Jake to come back. And yes, Tutu, I agree that it was fun to see all the shakas.
                What could be next for Jake... Oprah?!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  [...]What could be next for Jake... Oprah?!
                  That's exactly what I was thinking! That would certainly set his national career in motion. It did for Chris Botti! And it didn't hurt Joss Stone! Hmmm...maybe I'll send an email to Oprah! Yah! Right! As if it would make a difference! Wouldn't hurt tho'. Yep...I'll do it!

Comment

FWIW...I sent an email to Oprah's producers. Here's the link for anyone who wants to do the same:
                    http://www2.oprah.com/email/reach/email_showideas.jhtml

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

Noel Okimoto was on drums. Don't know who the guitar player was. Hmmm...that was probably a bass, not a guitar!
                      'Twas Dean Taba on bass.
                      From all the pre-show hype, I was just expecting to see Jake perform solo, or maybe backed by some generic in-house musicians, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see two local boys with Hawai'i roots -- Noel Okimoto on drums and Dean Taba on electric bass -- backing Jake up, and those guys were tight. Jake cracked me up and made me feel so proud for him when he beamed at the camera and started flashing all those shakas with reckless abandon, sort of reminding me of that famous scene from Rocky where Rocky Balboa raises his arms in triumph at the top of the stairs.

Comment

Hmmm...maybe I'll send an email to Oprah! Yah! Right! As if it would make a difference! Wouldn't hurt tho'. Yep...I'll do it!
                        What Oprah needs is to see a video of Jake, so any e-mail should at least suggest that she see a tape of him from last night.
                        Many years ago she was sent a videotape of Bruddah IZ and she wanted him on her show, but it didn't happen because he was in the middle of recording and by the time she had a slot open again, IZ had left us.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

What Oprah needs is to see a video of Jake, so any e-mail should at least suggest that she see a tape of him from last night.
                          [...]
                          Very true. I sent a URL so her staff would know that they could contact Conan's show if they're interested. Jake also headlined at a New York club after the show.

Jake will appear on one of the local morning news shows tomorrow. Dang...that's what I get for channel surfing. I can't remember which one! KHNL, I think.

Comment

What Oprah needs is to see a video of Jake
                            This flash video clip of Jake up close and personal in Central Park blows me away each time I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungNeil
                              Pretty cool--Jake got to sit next to Conan at the end of the show.
                              Did you see when Conan stood up to shake Jake's hand? What a height contrast. Yeah, it was a bit disappointing that they didn't have enough time for at least a brief interview. Next time.

Jake's performance was absolutely solid. It appeared, out of nervousness perhaps, he stumbled on a couple of licks. Or could that have been intended? Ultimately, Jake put on a national display of Ukulele virtuosity at its finest.

What's next? An Oceanic DVR to record more of those late night (and workday) TV moments.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X