Chronicles of Narnia series of movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicles of Narnia series of movies

This past weekend I went to see "Narnia." It's a pretty good movie with a good message, interesting story, some good CGI action, and some interesting characters. Some have compared this movie to "Lord of the Rings" (which it is not) and the "Harry Potter" movies (which I have not seen). I would say it is kind of a lighter version of "Lord of the Rings" with a Christian message, which I had no problem with. Some people who are not Christian may not like the religious influence in this picture. It is not preachy but a message is definitely there.

Disney made $64 million this past weekend, which is short on covering the movie's $150M+ cost. Hopefully the movie will reach its intended audience within a crowded and competitive marketplace so that we can see more of the books come to life on screen.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Chronicles of Narnia

I have yet to see the movie, but I expect it is good. I also hope that more books come to video.
    backwoodlessons2

Comment

I wonder if Disney is working on a attraction for this film too ?
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

I guess I'll bump this old thread up since no one around here has probably seen the first edition of "Chronicles of Narnia" (judging by the number of posts here).... and now the second one is out and I caught it at Regal Cinema this past weekend.

"Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" picks up the Narnia story some 1300 years after the first movie, yet our time / dimension traveling heroes have only aged a year since the last story. In this movie Prince Caspian calls for help and eventually restores the land of Narnia to its former glory.

The movie is not as preachy as the original. It is more a standard fantasy action yarn about the good guys vs. the bad. Kind of slow at the beginning but in the end there is enough sword fight scenes and more to keep you glued in your seats.

While I did not enjoy this one as much as the first, I can still recommend it for a good day/night at the movies. Like the first, I'll add this to my DVD collection when it comes out later this year.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Chronicles of Narnia series of movies

To be honest, I didn't find the first in the series to be preachy. While Lewis did incorporate Christian ideas in his works, you have to look pretty hard to find it. Really, I think there's a lot less Christian influence than most people think.
          Sure, you've got the whole Aslan dying and being resurrected thing, but that's been done before in more ancient myths.
          I suppose it's only human nature to find something in nothing, like the whole "The Golden Compass will make your kids evil" fiasco.

In fact, if you follow the Bible strictly...the book is blasphemous. It's basically creating a new Messiah and mocking Christ's death, my grandparents' Pastor has said, and that's disrespectful to Jesus.
          Interestingly enough, Lewis also incorporated many characters from Greek and Roman mythology, as well as themes from British fairy tales, but nobody pays that any mind. Aren't those things supposed to be heathen and of Old Scratch?

As for me, I just sit back and enjoy the movie for what it is.... an interesting fairy tale.
          Last edited by LonLeroux; May 20, 2008, 02:59 AM.
          Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

Prince Caspian was an OK movie, but it was also the last with all 4 children.Disny should put these films to bed.

They should have followed the reading order:

The Magician's Nephew
            The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
            The Horse and His Boy
            Prince Caspian
            The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
            The Silver Chair
            The Last Battle
            Last edited by alohabear; May 28, 2008, 05:23 PM.

Flickr

Comment

Isn't The Magician's Nephew a prequel or is that volume 1?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Isn't The Magician's Nephew a prequel or is that volume 1?
                It's a prequel to LWW

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X