Kaleponi hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaleponi hello

Such a pleasure to find you all. I've been playing slack key for a few years, visiting the islands a little longer. Someone on the www.taropatch.net music board mentioned HawaiiThreads and I came right over.

About 10 years ago I put down my rock'n'roll guitar and quit playing music. I just figured I was burnt out.

A few years later when my wife _made_ me accompany her on a business trip to O`ahu I reluctantly came along.

When we turned on the TV in the hotel, the first thing I saw was Keola Beamer, and the sound of one slack key vamp changed my life. It took me a year or so to figure out how to start making those sounds (I'm a reeeaaaal slow learner) but the first time I played a simple slack key tune for my wife she got a little tear in her eye, so knew I was headed in the right direction.

Since then I've listened almost exclusively to Hawaiian music, played slack key and ukulele every single day, done workshops, and even played with a few of my heros. The musicians I've met have been warm and generous to an amazing degree, and I've tried to repay their kindness by spreading the word about slack key and Hawaiian music to everyone I meet.

Best wishes to you and yours,
    Fran

Re: Kaleponi hello

Aloha and Welcome Fran!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Welcome, Fran!
      I've been lurking at taropatch.net for quite a long time and have always enjoyed your posts, so I'm sure you'll be a very welcome addition here on HT.
      Have fun!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Welcome, Fran --- here's hoping that the best of the TP posters join us here on HT (you are amongst 'em.)

Comment

Aloha Fran
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Aloha to you in Cali’.

Funny you mention Slack Key. Sonny Chillingworth’s sister, Ilona, will be staying with us this weekend for a family function. She’s shared with us many fond memories of uncle Sonny. I'm also working on a family keepsake of Sonny for his other Sister, Jackie.

When they were keiki, the Chillingworth’s lived with my grandparents in Hilo for about 2 years. During that time, Sonny often played hooky from Kapiolani Elementary and would hide either under my grandparents home or in the air raid shelters. Wearing his infamous black jacket, he would play and play his dingy hand-me-down guitar all day long. At the time, our ohana thought he was just goofing off, not realizing later in life those skills would make him an influential pioneer of Kiho`alu, along with Gabby Pahinui and Atta Isaacs.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Thanks for all the kind welcomes. Pomai, I was just listening to Uncle Sonny in the car, marveling as always at his touch, his distinctive personal sound. I came to the music too late to see him perform in person, but I cherish his scenes in the "Ki Ho`alu" movie.

Fran

Comment

Working...
              X