Blocking Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking Calls

I found this story about how theater owner are asking the FCC permission to block cell phones at the movies. I myself am in favor of this .... they can be annoying at the movies. I know they ask people to turn off thier phones...but people still leave them on. How do you movie goers feel about such a banned?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Blocking Calls

It is common courtesy to turn it off or put it on vibration mode. However, lot's of people who are in a rush and who are "forgetful" seem to disregard. I favor such a Ban! They should Ban it's use on Buses too!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Blocking the calls would probably mean that doctors (and other emergency personnel) would never enter a movie theatre again. Every one of those people I know keep their phones in vibration mode, so they don't have to worry about disturbing others, but are still reachable.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        Blocking the calls would probably mean that doctors (and other emergency personnel) would never enter a movie theatre again. Every one of those people I know keep their phones in vibration mode, so they don't have to worry about disturbing others, but are still reachable.
        If there's a way to block cell phones but not pagers, medical and other emergency personnel should be okay. Even when I'm not on call I carry my pager, and it's always in vibrate mode during the movie. I can always excuse myself to go outside the theater to use my cell phone if my pager goes off, and if I'm really on call, then I just won't go to the movies that day.

It would be awfully nice to get through a movie these days without hearing people answer their phones and then proceed to have a long conversation...grrr. Perhaps they could warn people prior to the starting of the movie that ushers have the right to remove cell phone abusers during the movie...? Perhaps that's already an unofficial policy but one that's not really being enforced...

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
          If there's a way to block cell phones but not pagers
          I don't know that there is; I believe they use the same transmission systems (but I would happily be corrected, if someone here is in the industry.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            I don't know that there is; I believe they use the same transmission systems (but I would happily be corrected, if someone here is in the industry.)
            I suspect it IS possible, since in the OR we can use our pagers but not our cell phones due to the cell phones possibly causing interference while pagers do not...from that litle detail alone I think technology could be developed. However, I just think there has not been much incentive to develop such technology since there hasn't been much of a request for it--YET.

This is all just conjecture on my part; I admit I don't know much about this stuff either. As long as my pager works, I don't ask why!

Comment

Working...
            X