Differences amongst the islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences amongst the islands

While we often compare ourselves amongst the mainland...

lets try some differences amongst the islands...

Here is an example that I have noticed....

On the Big Island... you can travels 60 miles in about 60 minutes and get about a quarter around the island.

On Oahu.... You can travel 60 miles in about 3 hours with Traffic and get about 1/2 way around the island.
    On Maui... You can travel the Hana highway and go 60 miles in about 4 hours and go over 59 bridges (about a bridge a minute per say)

On Kauai... You can travel 60 miles and you'll drive around a whole island.

On Molokai... You can travel 60 miles... but you'll have to go back and forth a few times... and if you want to get to some places... you my as well be on a donkey.

Re: Differences amongst the islands

If it is a rainy day in Hilo, go sleeveless. It will be very muggy after the rain passes.

If it showers a little bit in Kohala, run for your life indoors. Thunder is on its way.

If it rains in Makawao, you can tell whose kids are from there. They are the ones who don't freeze to death.

If it rains in Lahaina, the tourists wilting is quite the sight to see.

If it rains in Lana'i, scratch your head and wonder how come.

It doesn't rain in Kekaha. Never. Ever. Ever.

pax

Comment

in order of importance

1. oahu: money

2. maui: haoles

3. big island: volcanos

4. everywhere else: negligble

Comment

Living on Oahu from birth to age 44 (with a four year stint in Idaho), then coming to the Big Island to retire (yes retire), I've come to realize that all the bad drivers in Honolulu came from the Big Island, mainly Puna.

For example, I didn't know that you can use the shoulder of a road as a passing lane

I didn't know you can use the center lane as a left turn lane. Never mind the fact that there are cars in the left lane trying to go straight at the time.

When I first got here I was driving down Wainuinui (is that the correct spelling?) around 7:30 one weekday morning. On the radio the announcer indicated that "one way streets" are in effect now. What the heck did he mean by that as I realized I was the only one heading down the street and a herd of cars were coming straight at me blinking their high beam.

Okay I guess Hawaii county never heard of the word Contra-Flow?

Oh and Hawaii county is the only county in Hawaii where I see cops sticking the finger at passing motorists breaking the speed limit instead of chasing them down. Too much bother I guess.

And finally to harp on the Big Island...Eh no tell me 7-Eleven get da best manapua! No way...but stay true. Oh how I miss Libby's Manapua and their ono pork hash in Kalihi. And what? No decent chinese restaurant? L&L is it? Oh no, thank god my good friend at Home Depot in Hilo going quit to open up his own chinese take out/delivery service in Keaau next year. Go get um Shawn Okamoto!!!

Maui...oh my because of the telescopes on Haleakala, the streets at night look strange with bumper to bumper traffic and dim street lights. Reminds me of some kind of mass evacuation and some UFO sucked the power out of the Maui Electric's power grid.

Kauai...geez county planning at it's worst...hmmm nah Kapolei on Oahu takes that prize.

Anden...theres Oahu. All three (oops four sorry KHNL) broadcast channels think Oahu has the only weather, surf heights and traffic to report. Wow I didn't know you could surf off the Big Island

Molokai...bettah wave at da car coming at you cuz in Molokai everybody waves at each other, unless you're crossing the mason/dixon line called Kaunakakai going east to west.

Lanai...Pineapple Festival braddah!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, You forget one ting: Da power go out on da big island every time it stay rain, and it stay rain every day on da big island.

Comment

Nah getting better. For us living down by the ocean, that means no cable service so it's Dish Network and when it rains yeah no TV. So for the keiki I bought a stand alone DVD recorder and record 10-hours of Nick Jr and pop in the disk when the weather gets bad.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              so it's Dish Network
              You ever listen to the music channels on Dish? Especially the Hawaiian one (#981) - that's one that I program. (I program eight others as well.)

Comment

My kids command the TV (Oh bad parenting) But when I'm out and about the house I don't like the distractions of anything so when I'm doing the laundry or weeding in the yard, I like the serenity of my own thoughts as I do my chores.

Comment

Working...
                X