2005: Year-End Lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005: Year-End Lists

I confess, I'm a sucker for 'em and for the conversation they generate.

I always start with the Lycos 50. Check out the 100 most-searched for terms as calculated by Lycos. Provides links to top 50 women, men, movies, athletes, tv shows, etc.

Then there's the Google Zeitgeist. Interestingly, the Lycos #1 (Paris Hilton) doesn't make the Google top 10, and the Google #1 (Janet Jackson), doesn't make the Lycos top 10.

A new one for me this year is the Merriam-Webster Online list of the most-looked-up words for 2005. Since a dictionary automatically weeds out proper nouns, you get a completely different look at what people were talking about, minus entertainment. Integrity is #1, and inept is #10. Insert your own political joke here.

MetaCritic, one of the most useful things on the Internet, lists the best-reviewed films of the year according to its formula, which aggregates the reviews of critics from all over the country. Links also to best-reviewed TV shows, games, music, and books.

While we're on the topic of film, we might as well look at Roger Ebert's Ten Best films of 2005. You may not always agree with him, but the man can put a sentence together. He remains the only writer to win a Pulitzer for film criticism, and deservedly so.

I'd love to read your own lists (I'm still working on mine) or see the lists you've unearthed on the Web. Any comments on these lists?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: 2005: Year-End Lists

Curious about Ebert... (Suppose I should Google for the answer, heh.)... Did he get the Pulitzer for a single reivew, or was it for a body of work? If a single review, which one was it? For what film?

Blaine
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

My information is outdated. According to Wikipedia, Stephen Hunter of the Washington Post became the second in 2003.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Bah! I should have known, WikiPedia.

Well, that was interesting! According to the article on Ebert, he was a doctoral candidate when he got offered the newspaper job and ditched school to take it! And it appears his Pulitzer was for a body of work during the year 1974.

Thanks for doing the "dirty work."

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

The most comprehensive online list of, er, lists is at Fimoculous.com:

http://www.fimoculous.com/year-review-2005.cfm

Quotes, film, books, sports, music, sex, weather, even the paranormal! Last year he compiled over 500 lists.

Comment

Working...
          X