Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston

The real estate is really low there.. and it seems to be quite multicultural and international now as well.. low cost of living as well.

However.. it is Texas.. (whatever that means).. would anyone consider living there?

I'm a bit attracted to the low cost-of-living myself..

Re: Houston

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
    The real estate is really low there.. and it seems to be quite multicultural and international now as well.. low cost of living as well.

However.. it is Texas.. (whatever that means).. would anyone consider living there?

I'm a bit attracted to the low cost-of-living myself..
    If you don't want to be really close to a large body of water, I suppose it would be an OK place to live. I could never live more than about 15 minutes away from the ocean myself.

If real estate is relatively cheap there, it's probably because of the economic bust Houston and other Texas cities had a few years back. I'm sure the city must have at least doubled in size right after Hurricane Katrina because of all the people who fled NO. It's probably more cosmopolitan now (relatively speaking) than almost any other large TX city except for Dallas and Austin. If I had to live anywhere in TX, I think it would be Austin. That is a city that has a HUGE non native Texan population and lots of neat things going for it. Except that there's no ocean! Another place that's supposed to be up and coming is College Station/Bryan TX, home to Texas A&M University and the George Bush Presidential Museum. It's just "up the road" from Houston.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hello,
      I lived in Houston for 14 years. It has changed a lot. There isn't a lot of zoning so the neighborhoods are very hard to determine if you're a newbie.

Stay away from anything called "ward", i.e. first ward, third ward...they're bad news. If you want to live IN Houston, look to the West/Southwest part of the city or "inside the loop" (which is costly). I lived in the West/Southwest area the whole time I was there and just loved it. But, be prepared for lots of traffic and lots of crime. From what I hear, the crime rate has gone up since the migration of the Katrina evacuees. There are a lot of homeless and parts of the city are dirty.

The best areas outside of Houston are Sugarland, Katy and Kingwood. Sugarland is Southwest and you can't tell where it starts and Houston ends really, but it's a great place to live. Katy is pretty much the same way (but West of the city), but the major HWY leading in, I-10, is the worst in town. Kingwood is Northeast of town and I've never spent much time there so I can't give an honest opinion on it.

I hope this helps.
      GO TEXANS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jordansmama
        Hello,
        I lived in Houston for 14 years. It has changed a lot. There isn't a lot of zoning so the neighborhoods are very hard to determine if you're a newbie.

Stay away from anything called "ward", i.e. first ward, third ward...they're bad news. If you want to live IN Houston, look to the West/Southwest part of the city or "inside the loop" (which is costly). I lived in the West/Southwest area the whole time I was there and just loved it. But, be prepared for lots of traffic and lots of crime. From what I hear, the crime rate has gone up since the migration of the Katrina evacuees. There are a lot of homeless and parts of the city are dirty.

The best areas outside of Houston are Sugarland, Katy and Kingwood. Sugarland is Southwest and you can't tell where it starts and Houston ends really, but it's a great place to live. Katy is pretty much the same way (but West of the city), but the major HWY leading in, I-10, is the worst in town. Kingwood is Northeast of town and I've never spent much time there so I can't give an honest opinion on it.

I hope this helps.
        GO TEXANS!
        Hmm.. if living "inside the loop" is costly.. would defeat the purpose of trying to live there.. and with how large Houston seems to be.. living outside the loop would mean huge commute times. Doesn't sound so good to me anymore.

Post-Katrina.. I was thinking about that too.. almost makes me wonder if New Orleans would be a more interesting city because of the shift of demograghics/economic classes like that.

Comment

Working...
        X