Hawaiians say NO cuz of bones
    Enviros say NO cuz of many reasons
    Home Owners say NO more homes cuz of traffic problems
    People say NO to science on Mauna Kea
    Some say NO to expanding harbors
    Others say NO GMO
    Still others say NO to food irradiation
    Recyclers would say NO to an aluminum smelter

NO is the problem in Hawaii. Anybody who has EVER said NO to anything is likely part of the overall problem.

Taken all together, the politics of NO is the cause of intransigence that is destroying this island paradise.

Funny how nobody ever protests growth at the maternity ward.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: The Politics of "NO"

Hearing "no" forces creative solutions, alternatives, additional planning and paradigm shifting. Contrary to your sweeping generalization, growth does happen; notice the infrastructure alllll around you.

I don't agree with every "no", but I will agree that the power of the people to say "no" is ultimately a good thing. Our isles are too finite, our environment too fragile and our legacy for our mo'opuna too precious to let pure economics dictate policy.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
      Our isles are too finite, our environment too fragile and our legacy for our mo'opuna too precious to let pure economics dictate policy.
      but that is exactly what is being allowed to happen now. When will people take a stand?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        but that is exactly what is being allowed to happen now. When will people take a stand?

Kimo, I share your angst in this. People say "no" all the time, though. My personal "no" is against the increasing presence of the military in our islands--particularly in terms of the alarming land acquisition post-9/11. Others close to me have serious "no" concerns about the Akaka bill, the 'iwi issue, Mauna Kea (and just where DOES that money all go to, anyway?). And others still pass out flyers to keep on eye cruise ships dumping in our waters.

Don't forget Hokuli'a in Kona.

I am comforted by the chorus of "no"....and yes, I wish it would be louder at times. My strongest "no" is the mourning of our kama'aina drain to the mainland, replaced by those who bite on brochures.

pax

Comment

Remember, though, that it's easier for some people to say "no" than others.

Decrying explosive residential development is easy if you've already got a place. Thousands of others, despite the skyrocketing prices, will no doubt line up for a chance to own one of those homes, usually before the first quart of concrete is poured.

Demanding the military get out of Hawaii is easy, except for those whose livelihoods -- for better or worse -- depend on their presence. Same goes for tourists, too. "Wouldn't it be nice," indeed, if we didn't depend on outsiders... but many of us do.

Fighting GMO? I actually empathise, here. On the other hand, if you're going to continue to need more produce, but expect to get increased output from smaller areas and fewer operations, it's inevitable that all manner of technology is going to be employed. I'm sure, once upon a time, selective breeding or splicing was decried as unnatural.

Cruise ships dumping waste near shore? That's an easy "no." No cruise ships period? Maybe an easier sell than getting the military out, but again, I'll bet the revived cruise industry has been a boon for people just as it has also been a bane.

It's a cousin of NIMBY. We know some things are unavoidable, even needed... we sometimes just don't actually want to have to deal with them ourselves.

Comment

The fringe element, along with cousins NIMBY and CAVE really piss me
            off. They've stalled Hokulia, Alii Parkway here in Kona on the top my head.
            We have traffic crunch here that government is unable to rectify
            in part due to these people. It is like the dead are treated better than
            the people living.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

When will people take a stand?
              people take stands all the time....but they never protest at the source....you never hear grandparents complain about their 14 grandchildren....and then wonder why Hawaii is so different from 50 years ago

Big Families are a source of pride for most. If you have children, or you came from a family with children, then you are "pro-growth" by default, and you dont get a choice. Either that, or you are a raving hypocrite.

I'm only in my 30's, and the generation a little older than me is filled with people who think the past is more important than the future. How backwards is that?

And what about the bones? When people move, they take their pots, pans, cars, couches, clothes, etc. Why would they leave grandma in the yard? If you dig deep enough, you will find bones everywhere you look. And some think that is enough to forestall the future. Pretty funny.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

dang, that hit the nail on the head. Well, there's no more to discuss, here.
                That succinctly wrapped it up and settled it, don't it!

Comment

the politics of no is the politics of pessimism and the politics of defeatism which we cannot afford at this crucial time. now more than ever when we face a lethal enemy we must be able to combat with the full force of will and to expand with all our might. every traitor who opposes the continued growth of americas capitalistic might should be federally condemned. they would do worse to us and our children. i fear for a hawaii where fanatics can starve american ingenuity through subversive tactics. if they resist we should reinstate the martial laws we had during wwii.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                    I'm only in my 30's, and the generation a little older than me is filled with people who think the past is more important than the future. How backwards is that?

And what about the bones? When people move, they take their pots, pans, cars, couches, clothes, etc. Why would they leave grandma in the yard? If you dig deep enough, you will find bones everywhere you look. And some think that is enough to forestall the future. Pretty funny.
                    Yeah since people have been around for awhile, everywhere we go someone has already been. I feel this planet is for the living and at the same time we need to try and keep it ALL usable for the future. The past had their time. Do reflect, don't regret and live now.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

but we must respect kupuna and those who have gone before, for they have brought us here...

Comment

but we must respect kupuna and those who have gone before, for they have brought us here...

If Kupuna have brought us to the point where kids cant afford a home, and traffic is a nightmare, and kamaaina moving to Lost Wages, and racism worse than ever, and so on, and so on.....then I say Screw the Kupuna.....they been messin up for years now....Time to listen to the Educated Youth.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by stumphurple
                          the politics of no is the politics of pessimism and the politics of defeatism which we cannot afford at this crucial time. now more than ever when we face a lethal enemy we must be able to combat with the full force of will and to expand with all our might. every traitor who opposes the continued growth of americas capitalistic might should be federally condemned. they would do worse to us and our children. i fear for a hawaii where fanatics can starve american ingenuity through subversive tactics. if they resist we should reinstate the martial laws we had during wwii.
                          Mel! Yoo-hoo, Mel! Are you reading along, Mel? See, you've got nothing to worry about! You're a flaming commie compared to this guy.

Comment

Hawaiians say NO cuz of bones
                            Enviros say NO cuz of many reasons
                            Home Owners say NO more homes cuz of traffic problems
                            People say NO to science on Mauna Kea
                            Some say NO to expanding harbors
                            Others say NO GMO
                            Still others say NO to food irradiation
                            Recyclers would say NO to an aluminum smelter

NO is the problem in Hawaii. Anybody who has EVER said NO to anything is likely part of the overall problem.

Taken all together, the politics of NO is the cause of intransigence that is destroying this island paradise.

First Hawaiian is the Bank that says...YES!!
                            This thread sounds like a David Spade ad
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

That's because It's FUN to make babies!
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X