Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quiz: How Well do you know Windward Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz: How Well do you know Windward Oahu?

Hi All,

I spoke to the Windward Oahu Rotary club this week about my book, "The Companies We Keep," and gave them a quiz entitled: How Well do you know Windward Oahu?

I was reading HawaiiThreads tonight and thought this group might also be interested in the quiz. Here’s part one of two. I’ll post the correct answers in 7 days. Have fun!

Bob Sigall

How Well do you know Windward Oahu?
    1. Which Windward restaurant is named for a Las Vegas Hotel?

2. What was the first school on the windward side? It got its start near Kaneohe 150 years ago as Ahuimanu College, but it has since moved to Honolulu.

3. This man managed the Lanikai Store before opening Hawaii’s first supermarket in 1948. He later brought the first McDonalds to Hawaii.

4. Which chain of 9 numbered, ethnic restaurants began in Kaneohe in 1972?

5. Who lives in Harold K.L. Castle’s former mansion, Paliku? James B. Castle’s estate in Waikiki has given a Kailua school its name. What is it?

6. This place was originally called Moku O Lo’e and was used as a base for shepherds and local fishermen and was owned by Bernice Pauahi Bishop. The next owner built a bowling alley, a shooting gallery, and a small zoo that included a giraffe, monkeys and a baby elephant. Edwin Pauley bought it and hosted famous guests, such as: Harry Truman, Lyndon B. Johnson, Red Skelton, Jackie Onassis, Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan. John Wayne filmed a movie there. What do we call this place today?

7. Which two companies were named for dairies that preceded them? One’s a store in Kahaluu and the other a restaurant chain.

8. This man was the cannery superintendent at Dole, and was fired when the first attempt to make their own cans failed. He left for the automotive business in Kaneohe. He was still surfing at age 90.

9. This is the oldest elementary school in the Kaneohe area, built in 1925 as a high school. Name it.

10. This was established in 1968 to commemorate the first Japanese immigrants to Hawaii. It is modeled after a 950 year-old building in Uji, Japan.

Answers, and part two will be posted next week.

Re: Quiz: How Well do you know Windward Oahu?

Originally posted by Creative-1
    Hi All,
    [...]How Well do you know Windward Oahu?[...]
    If you get me out of Kakaako or Makaha, I'm lost! I rarely get to the windward side but will hele on over to Kailua on Monday...if I can find my passport! I'm hoping the answers to your quiz are in your book. That way, I can cheat! Fun quiz!

Comment

all i can come up with is 7. hygenic store.

that was more of a - how well do you know windward businesses (and Kaneohe) - quiz.

how bout:
      (without googling. No cheating; from yer internal knowledge, kids...)

what and or who is the bird lady and why?

what is the origin of "lanikai".

What heiau reside in kailua?

what does Kailua have in common with one of Hawaii's most popular 70's bands?
      ( a bit of a trick question; it has two answers...)

How long was that street clogged up with that frikken sewer repair and what da name o da street?
      (hoooboy... I'll never get dis quiz done:
      ....and... WHAT does it have in common with "the aloha shirt"?)

what are the names of those three islands off lanikai and what they mean?

where is the main crack area of Kailua?

what shop in kailua has something in common with Sunset Blvd. L.A.? and why?

what dat thing at the beginning of lanikai?

what does hair care have in common with Lanikai?

how many pillboxes in Kailua? where?
      what do they contain?

what does "Kailua" and "Kaneohe" mean?

Name da TWO major locale connections with Magnum P.I.

Who/what owns most of Kailua business area? the land and buildings.

What major religion has a prominent church on a main drag?

what was the name of that great collectable shop that was torn down a while ago? who was/were their neigbor(s)
      Who owned it for long time arready and den bumbai li'dat, wen sellum to a famous name. wot dat name?

what da name o dat market near Kailua beach and when was it born?

who has da bestest maitai round dese parts?

best surfboard shop dat side?

What da biggest antique/collectables shop in Kailua?
      wot da name o da owner?
      What dey prefer to buy/sell most?

what was Daiei long time ago?

is there a biker bar Kailua side? Name if get?

Airplane: Does it take off... from windward side? details!
      Last edited by kimo55; December 30, 2005, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        [...]what does hair care have in common with Lanikai?
        The Paul Mitchell estate?

Comment

score thus far;
          22sue
          errybody else
          BZZZZZT!

Comment

c;mon 22,
            I know ya can duet!

Comment

c'mon 22,
              I know ya can duet!

Comment

da hell?! there's an echo in here!
                in here...
                here...

Comment

Wow I lived on the windward side for most my life for nothing.
                  How Well do you know Windward Oahu?
                  Flamingo? formerly Tiki Tops

6. This place was originally called Moku O Lo’e and was used as a base for shepherds and local fishermen and was owned by Bernice Pauahi Bishop. The next owner built a bowling alley, a shooting gallery, and a small zoo that included a giraffe, monkeys and a baby elephant. Edwin Pauley bought it and hosted famous guests, such as: Harry Truman, Lyndon B. Johnson, Red Skelton, Jackie Onassis, Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan. John Wayne filmed a movie there. What do we call this place today?
                  Coconut Island

7. Which two companies were named for dairies that preceded them? One’s a store in Kahaluu and the other a restaurant chain.
                  Dunno but my grampa used to work for Hygenic Dairy in Kahalu'u...so thats half of my final answer.

9. This is the oldest elementary school in the Kaneohe area, built in 1925 as a high school. Name it.
                  My mom was the last high school graduating class of Ben Parker!... then everyone went to Castle.

10. This was established in 1968 to commemorate the first Japanese immigrants to Hawaii. It is modeled after a 950 year-old building in Uji, Japan.
                  I'll take a guess and say the Byodo Temple in Valley of the Temples

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    .... but will hele on over to Kailua on Monday........
                    anodda one, courtesy of 22sue:

what does this remind you of, enchanted lakes / keolu hills side?

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1

3. This man managed the Lanikai Store before opening Hawaii’s first supermarket in 1948. He later brought the first McDonalds to Hawaii.
                      Maurice Sullivan? I believe the store is Foodland, and he might have also opened the first Dunkin Donuts in Aina Haina, as well as the first McD's in Aina Haina.

8. This man was the cannery superintendent at Dole, and was fired when the first attempt to make their own cans failed. He left for the automotive business in Kaneohe. He was still surfing at age 90.
                      I'm guessing it's Lex Brodie.

Comment

"Thank you... VERY much... for not dropping in on my wave."

Comment

Hi all,

I said I'd post the answers around Jan. 8th, but since you've guessed many of them correctly (!) I thought I'd point that out.

Here are a few clues to the ones no one has gotten yet.

Quiz: How Well do you know Windward Oahu?

Flamingo is correct. It was originally the Olympic Grill and renamed after a trip to Las Vegas.

2. What was the first school on the windward side? It got its start near Kaneohe 150 years ago as Ahuimanu College, but it has since moved to Honolulu.

Clue: It moved to the banks of the Nuuanu Stream, Beretania and Kukui Streets and was renamed for a French king who led two crusades.

Maurice Sullivan is correct.

4. Which chain of 9 numbered, ethnic restaurants began in Kaneohe in 1972?

Clue: Kaneohe is still there. There's one in Enchanted Lakes. The one on Uluniu in Kailua is now gone. Another is on King Street, one on Waialae, the last is in Pearl City.

5. Who lives in Harold K.L. Castle’s former mansion, Paliku? James B. Castle’s estate in Waikiki has given a Kailua school its name. What is it?

Clue: The street, school and Waikiki estate are also a Harold Castle's middle name.

You correctly guessed Coconut Island. The animals in the zoo there became the basis for the Honolulu Zoo.

So far, you've got half of it. Hygienic Dairy did have a store, and it's all that's left.

Here's another clue to the second half: The Lee's owned this dairy in the 1950s. A milk depot of theirs became a soda fountain, then a restaurant, and now a chain with plenny on
                          da mainland.

Lex Brodie is correct. After he left Dole, he managed the Chevron station at Windward City Chopping Center.

Ben Parker is correct. In 1925, Henry H. Parker donated approximately 5.5 acres of land for Benjamin Parker School - a high school. Today, it is the oldest elementary school in the Kaneohe area.

Byodo In is correct. “Byodo” means the liberty in possibility

So far, you've got 7 1/2 out of ten correct. Pretty good. Couple more and we'll go investigate the best Mai Tai in Kailua!

Comment

by then you will have EARNED da bess maitai in kailua!

Comment

#2 is St. Louis.
                              #7 1/2: L&L Hawaiian BBQ
                              #5: Paliku is on Kualoa Ranchland...Rusti the Orangutan moved there in 2003. The answer to the other part of this question is Kapunahala.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; January 2, 2006, 05:23 PM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X