Puka First.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puka First.

I was wondering if they people out there who remember playing the game of puka first. Was big when I was young but I makule now and cannot remember all the rules. I was trying to explain it to my children. I moved away from Hawaii so I try to explain what my life was like while I was growing up. They wanted to know what I did for fun as a child. Puka first came blurting out and now they wanna know how to play the game.

help....LOL

Re: Puka First.

Never heard of it, so it either never made it to Kauai or wasn't around during the 60's and 70's or it's known by some other name.

So does this game involve running around or making hand movements?

Comment

it involves a lot of running around. I used to play this in the late 1960's.
      first you pick 2 teams. then you find a puka or your energy power source....usually a tree or pole but we used a base or rubber slipper.
      Then you all touch the power source or better known as the puka. You watch the other team. If they have someone run out from the puka, somebody from your team runs out to chase that person and try to tag them. See if you leave your puka after someone from the other team leaves their puka then you have more power so if you tag them then they either become a member on you team or they are out of the game. I can't not remember which. The first team that touches the other teams puka wins the game. But there was more rules I can't remember what they were....lol....like I said I makule.

Comment

And here I thought I knew everything about everything local...
        I NEVER heard of "Puka First."
        I was trying to think if had one different version for different islands, but I still came up blank...

Although, I was the reigning "steal base" master for all 3 years of my seventh grade...

Comment

Well thanks for the efforts. I guess I got to look up some old people from Hilo cause it got me stumped. I remember having fun but like I said, I don't remember all the rules.

Oh yea, I could never stel a base to save my life but I always had fun trying....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut View Post
            And here I thought I knew everything about everything local...
            I NEVER heard of "Puka First."
            I was trying to think if had one different version for different islands, but I still came up blank...

Although, I was the reigning "steal base" master for all 3 years of my seventh grade...

And to think I thought it was a young boys attempt at losing his virginity.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by aleno View Post
              it involves a lot of running around. I used to play this in the late 1960's.
              first you pick 2 teams. then you find a puka or your energy power source....usually a tree or pole but we used a base or rubber slipper.
              Then you all touch the power source or better known as the puka. You watch the other team. If they have someone run out from the puka, somebody from your team runs out to chase that person and try to tag them. See if you leave your puka after someone from the other team leaves their puka then you have more power so if you tag them then they either become a member on you team or they are out of the game. I can't not remember which. The first team that touches the other teams puka wins the game. But there was more rules I can't remember what they were....lol....like I said I makule.
              I remember playing a game exactly like that but we called it "pole to pole". I was born and raised in Kalihi and we played that in our neighborhood. The game was won by whatever side got more people to the other pole.

Comment

Ah , the memories....played the same game in Kalihi , only we called it " jintori " , don't know the origin of the name but we spent hours and hours on summer days laughing and really enjoying ourselves......good exercise too!

Comment

Working...
                X