Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to nowhere

Source from Honolulu Advertiser.com

NANAKULI — Folks in these parts are still trying to make sense of a new and imposing $2 million concrete bridge that blocks the ocean sunset view from Farrington Highway, goes no place and currently serves as an elaborate fishing platform and skateboard ramp for local kids.
    Another City project gone down the drain.
    Last edited by adrian; January 3, 2006, 10:02 AM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Road to nowhere

Here's a road to nowhere that the feds once made but Madame Pele took away.

Photo by mel
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

At least Pele knows how to take back from the Government what belonged to
      her in the first place. (while this picture is not the Kalapana-Kaimu area... it does make me think about my wifes district and stomping grounds.)

My wife has grown up and lived in the Puna district most of her life and many of her family members actually lost their houses and property to Pele.

With all due respect... they (the Hawaiian in them) took Pele running over the area as a "good sign" as well as they could despite losing there property and houses...and many knew that Pele was just "flushing" the land of what needed to be ridden.

At the time...there were thoughts of bringing in a Big Hotel Development down into Kalapana-Puna area.... I guess Pele scared the #&(*%& out of those developers as they decided against the project.

P.S. Happy Holidays all readers... I've been on the Big Island enjoying my vacation in the Puna District... (Which leads me to my next new post...) (someone can help me link it if they want....)

I'll Call it... JETLAG, Interisland Style....

Comment

Here is our "road to nowhere" in Foster Village. They decided to make the road go in a circle:

http://fostervillage.net/index.php?id=4
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          At least Pele knows how to take back from the Government what belonged to
          her in the first place. (while this picture is not the Kalapana-Kaimu area... it does make me think about my wifes district and stomping grounds.)
          The road I shot in post #2 above is the Volcano Park end of Chain of Craters that used to go to Kalapana before the lava covered it up.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well my wife and I plus my kids learned on Sunday that you cannot drive on Old Government Road from Hawaiian Beaches subdivision to Hawaiian Paradise Parks subdivision. Although the map shows a road connecting the two subdivisions along the Puna Coastline, part of it is considered unimproved (dotted red lines instead of a solid one).

My adventurous wife decided to take the family in our AWD (thank god for that) kidhauler Chevy Astrovan down this road thru grass taller than our van and a path no wider than it either. Basically we went down a dirt road left for quads or other small ATV's only. About 2-miles in from the Hawaiian Beaches side we basically came upon part of the road that was totally washed out with a sheer lava shelf about 18-inches higher than the rocky road we were traveling on. Imagine a dried up riverbed and a family minivan trying to drive thru it lengthwise. Yeah my wife's crazy.

To turn the van around we had to back up about a tenth of a mile until I found a shoulder wide enough for the van to nudge back and forth until we were pointed back in the direction we came from. There was a point where the van almost rolled over as we came upon a part of the road that tilted the van almost 35-degrees sideways. That's how bad the road gets. BTW there was nothing to stop the van if we did roll from sliding into the ravine inches away. With the kids moving to the right side of the van we managed to pass that embankment. No my wife is certified nuts!

So the van is all scratched up from the guava branches that raked both sides
            and the top. That's how narrow the route became. Next weekend the buffer comes out to take care of the damage.

Looking back at the map we found we were about a mile from reaching the
            the Hawaiian Paradise Parks side of the road. Too bad we couldn't connect because if we could have that would have been a shorter route between both subdivisions.

Oh and why were we out there in the first place? We went to this really nice black sand beach in Kalapana (the Hilo side that didn't get wiped out by Pele) called Kahena. After hiking down the cliff (like going down to Black Point on Diamond Head road), I realized, "Oh boy naked people, lots of em" There were some pretty disgusting ones but then there was this group of college girls that should have been on UH Hilo Girls Gone Wild video. Did I mention I had my kids with us?

What an adventure this past weekend.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Your wife is very adventurous...

Need I say you guys were traveling in parts of the area that you should not have been???

I know the area and if you would take your eyes off the maps when your driving and actually looked at the road signs... you would have seen that there was a dead end sign more than 3 miles up from where you had started.

There are many old government roads on the big island that are mapped... many of them old sugar cane roads... or old Railroad access roads... however, in time, many of them have grown over and are no longer accessible. My family actually had some property amongst one of these roads and they had to fight the county for many years for them to finally clear the road so that it was accessible again so that they could access there land.

As far as the beach that you ventured upon...it's actually called Kehena...
              and yes it is known as a clothing optional beach that attracts the "haole/hippy" crowd for the most part...

A couple years ago there was actually some pretty mean diseases down there that were getting spread amongst the visitors of the beach...

Comment

Oh well so much for looking at signs. When we actually went into the grass at the beginning of the unpaved part of the road, I was questioning the logic in my wife's judgement. But she's the one with the Master's Degree and one thing I learned and that's never question your wife unless you LIKE sleeping on the floor or on the living room sofa.

And really though, the road wasn't a dead end, technically speaking that is. You just need to be able to get over that part of the road that was 18-inches higher than the rest. We have travelled that road from the Hawaiian Paradise Parks subdivision side to about less than a mile from that ledge but turned back that time because the road ended there in a puddle that I measured at about 10-inches deep from the recent rains. But on a good day I bet we could have gotten to the opposite side of that road where we had to stop. 18-inches...an ATV could pass it and it would make for a great walking hike from one side to the other (about 3-miles).

So Kehena was diseased at one time? What happened then? And is it safe now?

Comment

On Saturday July 1st at 11:00 AM Channel 56

Their will be a rebroadcast of a 23 year old KITV special w/ Joe Moore hosting (w/ a full set of hair... )

About the Volcano overflowing the subdivisions of Kalapana.

Check it out...

Manoa

Comment

How is the Hawaiian Beaches subdivision anyways? How long to get to Hilo in the morning if you lived closer to the water there?
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Hawaiian Beaches subdivision has much to be desired. And it ranks high on my list of places not to buy a home in.

From Hawaiian Beaches near the ocean I'd figure it would take about 45-minutes to get to Hilo.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        Hawaiian Beaches subdivision has much to be desired. And it ranks high on my list of places not to buy a home in.

From Hawaiian Beaches near the ocean I'd figure it would take about 45-minutes to get to Hilo.
                        CW- Are your negative impressions more about HB's demographics or infrastructure, or both? Isn't that area in the sweet spot for less rain than Hilo proper?
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

IF you leave before 6am!
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                            CW- Are your negative impressions more about HB's demographics or infrastructure, or both? Isn't that area in the sweet spot for less rain than Hilo proper?
                            Hawaiian Beaches is actually one of the few subdivisions in Puna with county water (they don't depend on rainwater catchment). The lots are small and the population is a mix of retirees, working class, working poor and young-on-welfare. They are mostly local and they have been ridden with problems over the years. I know many single moms who bought down there because it was affordable, but their kids sadly hit that bad spiral in their teens/early 20s, because of the environment and circumstances. Don't get me wrong; Pahoa High School has had at least two valedictorians come out of Hawaiian Beaches (one of my friend's kid was among them), but the subdivision holds no cachet with realtors.

The recent real estate spike did manage to gut some of the riffraff in Puna. Despite that, they will be back; there isn't any place else to go that is as affordable.

pax

Comment

Road to Nowhere. . . sounds lke a Cat Steven's song from the seventies.

Malama Pono,

Claudia

Comment

Working...
                              X