Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Ignore List"

Hi guys,

I just rediscovered the "Ignore List" function. When a user is being abusive toward you, you can make them virtually "go away."

Click on their name at the top of any of their posts and select View Public Profile. There you will see two links. One says, "Add *user* to your Buddy List." DO NOT click this!

Instead, look toward the right of that link and you'll see "Add *user* to your Ignore List." THAT'S the ticket!

From then on, all that user's posts virtually disappear! They become NOBODY and nothing they say has any effect on your enjoyment of HawaiiThreads.com! Fun!

Remember friends, don't feed the trolls! When they don't get fed, they go away.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Re: Add trolls to "Ignore List"

Originally posted by zztype
    Hi guys,

I just rediscovered the "Ignore List" function. When a user is being abusive toward you, you can make them virtually "go away."
    [...]
    Remember friends, don't feed the trolls! When they don't get fed, they go away.
    Yep! I used ignore for the first time last night! So what if it's PZ! He'll never know!!! Just kidding. The "ignored" troll's messages don't show but his/her name does show as having posted, but with a default message that the person is on the ignore list.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, Zztype.

I do track "Ignore" trends. Obviously if there's a user that most people are blocking, it raises the question of whether the rest of the community should be taking steps to improve their experience here, or if more direct action is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
        I do track "Ignore" trends.
        Reason enough for me.

Be warned - he's discovered the "reputation" function...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          Be warned - he's discovered the "reputation" function...
          Does he have the cajones to sign his name?
          So, if someone gets a cinnamon, just let me know and I'll counter it with a spearmint!

Comment

Yeah, I got one red already! Shhhh!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Let's not turn this into a thread about a specific user, or -- for the love of god -- about the reputation system again.

For what it's worth, in the last day, I've been disappointed in some of the posts from several of our regulars, not just one person. If you personally label anyone a troll, well, you're putting yourself below them if you still insist on replying.

Comment

Sorry, dad. But you still love us, yeah...?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  [...]For what it's worth, in the last day, I've been disappointed in some of the posts from several of our regulars, not just one person. If you personally label anyone a troll, well, you're putting yourself below them if you still insist on replying.
                  Ooooh PZ...I was just kidding about putting you on my ignore list...honest injun (or monarchy, in this case!)...really...I luv ya, man...<sobble>...I'm on my knees begging for, ummm, what, I don't know! I even edited your message! Are ya pi$$ed?!

Comment

Re: Add trolls to &quot;Ignore List&quot;

Originally posted by zztype
                    From then on, all that user's posts virtually disappear! They become NOBODY and nothing they say has any effect on your enjoyment of HawaiiThreads.com! Fun!
                    This must be the reason nobody had anything to say about my brilliant review of the BBC's The Office. Nobody saw it!
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      Does he have the cajones to sign his name?
                      So, if someone gets a cinnamon, just let me know and I'll counter it with a spearmint!
                      Heh. I'm quoting myself here.

The dude (or dudette as the case may be) honored me with some cinnamon gum and an "Oh please". No cajones tho'! And not a surprise! Hmmm...I wonder if his(?) initials are A.S.?

I wear that chiclet with honor! High 5 to the other cinnamon receivers!

With all due respect to you Ryan/PZ/Admin/my webmaster extraordinaire, the guy(?) is a troll with a capital T, a manipulator. And you, my dear, are the epitome of tact and diplomacy. Not to mention you're a h3!!uva good writer. Just watch for the manipulation. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        This must be the reason nobody had anything to say about my brilliant review of the BBC's The Office. Nobody saw it!
                        By the look of your chiclet count, they saw the other 954 posts!

Comment

There are times when someone I don't agree with may still have a valid point concerning a particular issue. If I choose to not seriously consider what they said and just stand my ground would that make me a troll? I think many people that don't see it have been trolls lately. But you can just consider me a troll too if you don't agree.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Hey, I didn't label anyone a troll! See my original post. It wasn't aimed at anyone at all. It was just a general statement. If others took it to mean a specific person, that wasn't my doing.

I would think that whoever drew the parallel between my post and a specific person would have come to some conclusion on their own. If a whole bunch of people came to that same conclusion on their own, at a similar point in time, then I might infer something else from the group realization. No?

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Let's not turn this into a thread about a specific user, or -- for the love of god -- about the reputation system again.

For what it's worth, in the last day, I've been disappointed in some of the posts from several of our regulars, not just one person. If you personally label anyone a troll, well, you're putting yourself below them if you still insist on replying.
                            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                              There are times when someone I don't agree with may still have a valid point concerning a particular issue. If I choose to not seriously consider what they said and just stand my ground would that make me a troll? I think many people that don't see it have been trolls lately. But you can just consider me a troll too if you don't agree.
                              Nah, you're not even close, MM! Take a look at this:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Comment

Working...
                              X