Jetlag...Inter-island style...Hawaiian time? etc./

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetlag...Inter-island style...Hawaiian time? etc./

After spending time back home on the big island...(Puna District)

I realized that the Big Island seems to be in a "different time zone" then Oahu.

I often think that the phrase "hawaiian time" must have been derived from Outer island folks as everyone seems so rushed to do things here on Oahu....

I do realize that I'm close to Downtown and that other parts of Oahu are much more layed back... however, nothing will beat the fact that people on outer islands are much more relaxed about time then they are on Oahu.

Is it just me??? do other people here on Oahu think that there lifestyle is changing from that of "Hawaiian time" (meaning no worry beef curry...etc...) to one that is more of a Mainland lifestlye...one that is constantly clocked?

Could this also somehow relate to the High pedestrian traffic fatalities somehow?

Re: Jetlag...Inter-island style...Hawaiian time? etc./

Honolulu is the "big city" of Hawaii, so -- as is often decried here on HawaiiThreads.com -- you get "big city creep" of attitudes and practices.

Then again, it's a matter of degrees. There's "big city creep" in Hilo, and in Kahului. Everything from the perceived pace of life to development and crime.

I grew up in Honolulu and was a adolescent troublemaker in the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, so it took some adjusting when I moved to the Big Island. Of course, now I'd do anything to be back there.

As to your question about accidents... O'ahu has many more cars (and how!), so I'd expect vehicular accidents and deaths to be more common, regardless of driving style. Besides, I've read that while Honolulu County has more accidents in raw numbers (again, common sense), other counties like Hawaii County have a higher percentage of fatal accidents, because rural areas and roads tend to lead to more dramatic wrecks.

Hawaiian Time exists on all islands, and in the hearts of anyone who practices or at least grudgingly accepts it. At the very least, you'll hear it invoked any time someone's late for a meeting!

Comment

Working...
    X