PDA

View Full Version : MaHaLo Water 4$ - 6$ per bottle? Water BAR???

damontucker
January 5th, 2006, 10:05 PM
They recently opened a Bar across from DFX down in Waikiki that sells water.

I first thought about 15 - 20 years ago how nice it would be if we could
run cars off water....

Now Water costs more than GAS!!!!

If you think about it... a small bottle of water can run you $1.19

A Gallon can go up to $3.00 Compare that to gas now $1.67?????

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Oct/11/bz/bz02p.html

(article is old...however the bar just recently went up down in Waiks)

damontucker
January 5th, 2006, 10:22 PM
and at the bars in japan...those small bottle of water go for $6.00!!!

You would think that the tourist would go around the corner to the local ABC store and buy a bottle of water from there?

And Gee... for that matter??? Do the Japanese tourist now take home bottles of water from the store?

Who would've thought????

Any Japanese readers out there want to buy a gram of hand picked "Diamond Head Dirt" from me?

Vale46
January 6th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Isn't Mahalo water supposed to be some kind of 'special deep sea' water that they has some kind of unique nutrients or something?
Sounds like a novelty to me but I guess its a big thing now because it the Japanese companies that are investing in them.

Erika Engle
January 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM
The Star-Bulletin put my story about it on A1 awhile back:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/18/news/story04.html

It has a bit of an explanation as to why they think this water is so good.

The "Water Bar" is meant to educate folks to what they feel are the benefits of desalinated deep sea water.

The irony is, as I added in my story, that in Japan the bar business is called "mizu shobai" or "water business," after the deceptive practice of "stretching" inventory by watering down the liquor, etc.

craigwatanabe
January 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Just drink a glass of tap water (lots of minerals from the pipes yeah?) and take a vitamin pill. It's cheaper than bottled water.

Pomai
January 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM
A contributing Midweek editor once wrote how he calculated the price per gallon of liquid ink in a typical computer ink jet printer. It comes out to something like $5000/gallon based the volume of ink included in each refill cartidge at average market price. :eek:

No wonder they sell ink jet printers at loss-leader prices.

Vale46
January 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM
The Star-Bulletin put my story about it on A1 awhile back:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/18/news/story04.html

It has a bit of an explanation as to why they think this water is so good.

The "Water Bar" is meant to educate folks to what they feel are the benefits of desalinated deep sea water.

The irony is, as I added in my story, that in Japan the bar business is called "mizu shobai" or "water business," after the deceptive practice of "stretching" inventory by watering down the liquor, etc.

Thats an interesting and informative article.

Kind of a funny idea if you think about it, though: watered down bottled water. :D

UH Manoa SUCKS
January 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM
i read that article in the paper a while ago... what a ridiculous marketing scheme! either tap water is super shitty in nihon or there are some dumb people there! GOD! let's sell pure air and open up an air bar... it will be a huge empty room filled with purified air that you can just.... breathe. $20 cover charge.

Miulang
January 11th, 2006, 08:55 AM
i read that article in the paper a while ago... what a ridiculous marketing scheme! either tap water is super shitty in nihon or there are some dumb people there! GOD! let's sell pure air and open up an air bar... it will be a huge empty room filled with purified air that you can just.... breathe. $20 cover charge.
Don't laugh...such places already exist in LA and NYC! (They call them O2 bars) ;) . Purified bottled water (we drink bottled ozonized water) and O2 bars wouldn't exist if people understood about all the toxins that are in tap water that don't get filtered out (like chemotherapeutic agents, etc. that are flushed out of the body) or that pollute the air and did something to protect the environment.

Miulang

Keith H.
January 13th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Just drink a glass of tap water (lots of minerals from the pipes yeah?) and take a vitamin pill. It's cheaper than bottled water.

Uh, wrong kind of minerals. Lead is definitely not healthy. :p

damontucker
October 27th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Koyo USA Corp., bottler of MaHaLo Hawaii Deep Sea Water, says its third water processing plant on the Big Island has expanded its production capacity to 1 million bottles a day.
http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2006/10/23/daily53.html?jst=b_ln_hl
At $4.00 - $6.00 bucks per bottle...at 1 million bottles per day???
I sure hope the State of Hawaii is making some good bank off this company that is basically using our resources and then selling them away from here for the most part.

AbsolutChaos
October 27th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I was at the Ironman Expo on the Big Island this past week. (My boyfriend did his first Ironman, it wasn't me!). The Hilton was giving away FREE bottles of the Mahalo Water like it was candy. I had several bottles, just because free water in the blazing sun is impossible to resist. It's the first water I've had in a long time that actually had no taste, despite the minerals that are in it. It wasn't bad--but I'd never spend loads of money for it.

tutusue
October 27th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I've never met a water, bottled or tap, that I like. I need taste and water has never done it for me. So, I use tap and slightly flavor it...a squeeze of lemon, a tbsp. of pomegranate or cranberry juice, a few drops of stevia...something, anything to make me want to drink it! For $4-$6 I'd much rather be at a REAL bar having a glass of wine while enjoying the company of friends!

Hellbent
October 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Don't laugh...such places already exist in LA and NYC! (They call them O2 bars) ;) . Purified bottled water (we drink bottled ozonized water) and O2 bars wouldn't exist if people understood about all the toxins that are in tap water that don't get filtered out (like chemotherapeutic agents, etc. that are flushed out of the body) or that pollute the air and did something to protect the environment.

Miulang

If its like a movie I once saw, dont you have a small personal air tank (the size of a arizona green tea) and mask?

desalinated salt water? isnt there still fish pee and ala wai water in there, somewhere? =p

damontucker
October 27th, 2006, 03:22 PM
So, I use tap and slightly flavor it...a squeeze of lemon, a tbsp. of pomegranate or cranberry juice, a few drops of stevia...something, anything to make me want to drink it!
Where can one find pomegranate juice? This sounds interesting to me?

tutusue
October 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I buy it at Safeway. The brand name is POM. Kind of expensive tho'...$5.00+ for 16 oz. and it's not even a concentrate!

damontucker
October 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I buy it at Safeway. The brand name is POM. Kind of expensive tho'...$5.00+ for 16 oz. and it's not even a concentrate!
Dang... I see why you use it by the tbsp.:eek:

I'm glad cars don't run on Pomegranate juice!

AbsolutChaos
October 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM

Costco sells it in bulk in little bottles. It's half pomegranite, half pomegranite/blueberry mix bottles in one crate.

christinek
October 28th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Vent on: I admit even though our tap water is great here, I do own a "Brita" http://www.brita.net/, and I really believe our tap water tastes better! But, with the Brita, it's cold, as it's in the fridge, and I'm one of those people that drink 8 or more glasses a day of water...I swear drinking water makes you feel better! However, "stale" Brita water does not taste good as stale tap water here!

At my work, they charge each person $20 every 2 months to drink bottled water (the big bottles, like found in public offices)....I think it's ridiculous! I drink tap water at work...(Mind you, I buy the coffee for our office, and I think it's ridiculous that the ones that make the most money in the office, are the ones that won't pay for coffee!) It's done on a sign up or pay system. I have to send emails out to make everyone feel guilty for not paying! :) I do the coffee thing on my own time, but it truly blows me away at the managers making 5 times my salary are the ones that don't pay to have a cup of coffee and are also the first ones to let me know when we run out of cream or sugar....and even worse, that they think the coffee pot is dirty! I think they have all learned better now, as I tell them, if they think the pot it dirty, then clean it!

Vent over - :D