Hawaii's Returning National Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's Returning National Guard

Let's all pray and keep our fingers crossed that the remainder of our Hawaii's National Guard comes home safely.

While many people may think they just come back home and then get to go back to their families and old jobs... there is actually a debriefing time that all the guards are kept in unit here on Oahu for a period of time up to a few weeks!!!

Something that irks me though... is that the Neighbor Island Guards don't seem to get the homecoming that the Oahu Guards get.

My sister-in-law that is in the guard will be coming home soon.. and although she may not like me because I took away her sister... I still will make sure that she gets a loving and Aloha welcome when she gets in...

However, many other neighbor island soldiers do not necessarily have family here on Oahu when they return.

Oahu soldiers get to have there families present on the island at least...due to the closeness and proximity.... they are able celebrate the immediate return when they get home... ie; Meet at the runway, throw party, Etc.

But for Neighbor Island guards ... it is often difficult for their families and extended families to make it to Oahu for the homecoming... many reasons why... no need go into that...

This often leads family members additional period of time before seeing there loved ones...

My question is...

what would people think of an "adopt a neighbor island soldier campaign" so that when they came home...they would also have plenty leis...etc...

If I get a decent response... I might just try it....

If DOE can do a "no child left behind campaign" can't I start a....

"N.N.I.G.L.B" - No Neighbor Island Guard Left Behind

Takers?

Aunty Lynn... YOU LISTENING?

Re: Hawaii's Returning National Guard

Count me in! I have many of my nephews who came back and some who are coming back . None who are from the other islands. Let me know what you are planning to do. I'm more than willing to help in making it easier and at home for any soldier coming home from the War!

Auntie Lynn
    mom of three soldiers
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie...

I haven't planned exactly what I was going to do for my sister-in-law... I was just thinking she would be happy to receive a lei from me....(I think she would be surprised with anything that I did.)

I know that they will still be on time restrictions... so I don't know exactly what/when I can do things... hard to coordinate if you know what I mean.

However, I know that deep down inside...I think she probably wishes that she had more of her immediate family on Oahu then just me.

I wouldn't even know how to begin to build a list of neigbor island guard members and when and what time they would be arriving....

I just know that there must be something that the State of Hawaii and the people here can do for the Guard members that really never wanted to be there in the first place... can do for them. Many of them are making a lot less than they were at there previous jobs here in Hawaii and of course in much more hazaradous conditions.

I don't want to ramble...and I really don't agree with why we are there in the first place... however, we must support our troops that our there as well as when they come home.

Comment

manoasurfer123, As a mother of three soldiers, I am also a member of a National Military Moms Support Group. I am the Assistant Manager of the Support Group's Website. The men and women coming back from the War have always needed our support, prayers, and love before they left. Upon their return it will be debriefing and for some a hard time to readjust to society as they knew it. So much happens in a year.

There are ways that we, the Public can ease their transition back into society. If you know of a soldier, patience, understanding, love, and above all don't ask questions about the War unless they themselves tell you!

For those that are from the other islands ~ I'll ask my son what can be done. There are FRG'S - Family Readiness Groups that are there for each unit. Our soldiers are well taken care of. I know, I have three children who are soldiers.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I think we need to remember all Veterans of foreign wars collectively. War is brutal and I think the ones really left in the cold were our Vietnam veterans who didn't get the support we're giving to our current veterans and soldiers from the Middle East.

Whether you are for or against the war in Iraq these soldiers demand our respect and support for doing a job others refused to. Vietnam vets never even got that and remember they fought a war in the mud with leaches and disease.

Let's not lose our focus on all of our veterans. They deserve to come home in welcomed arms.

Craig Watanabe
          USAF Veteran, peace time
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

What happened to some of my friends who returned from Vietnam is the reason why I can say with conviction that I don't support wars, but do support our troops.

Even though our occupation of Vietnam ended some 36 years ago, many vets who fought in that war still fight a silent battle within themselves due to PTSD and alcoholism and drug abuse and suicidal feelings. Many of the homeless men you see on the streets are Vietnam vets.

Society has never said to them, "thanks for fighting for us". From the moment they stepped off the military planes they were cursed, spit at and called derogatory names. We don't need to repeat that sad time of our history by turning our backs on the returning troops now. Many have families and jobs that they had to leave behind (those in the National Guard), and as they return home, they need to try to make up for the months they were away from their families and careers. I pray that most of them are able to make that transition.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

what would people think of an "adopt a neighbor island soldier campaign" so that when they came home...they would also have plenty leis...etc...

If I get a decent response... I might just try it....
              Sounds like a great idea! I'm in.

Comment

Working...
              X