Property taxes...OUCH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property taxes...OUCH!

Just opened my 2006 assessment notice. My prop taxes are now 3 1/2 times more than my 2003 taxes! And, they're up 50% from 2005! Of course, the amount by California standards is still paltry but, holey moley...that's a huge jump. Don't know why I'm surprised, tho', as values along the Waianae coast have gone thru the roof! That's evidenced by the new breed of homeless living in tents from Nanakuli to Makaha.

Re: Property taxes...OUCH!

I guess that is why my landlord jacked my rent from 1500 to 1600.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
      I guess that is why my landlord jacked my rent from 1500 to 1600.
      Most likely. I just received an increase in my office rent due to prop taxes. A friend of mine received a $300/mo. increase in rent for her apartment. As mentioned earlier, I've seen first hand what this situation is doing to lower income people along the Waianae coast. What are the elderly on fixed incomes going to do? They've had a tough enough time as it is. It can only get worse.

Comment

Most local elderly on fixed incomes probably own their own homes and have for years. So if the State (and the counties) give the retired people the "tax breaks" they deserve (it's not their fault that houses cost so much today), they shouldn't be hurting as much as renters who are at the mercy of landlords. My Dad said he pays something like $1,000 a year in taxes for our Kula house, which was worth $400,000 about 20 years ago...Lord knows what it's worth today.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Most local elderly on fixed incomes probably own their own homes and have for years. So if the State (and the counties) give the retired people the "tax breaks" they deserve (it's not their fault that houses cost so much today), they shouldn't be hurting as much as renters who are at the mercy of landlords. My Dad said he pays something like $1,000 a year in taxes for our Kula house, which was worth $400,000 about 20 years ago...Lord knows what it's worth today.

Miulang
          Seeing your dad's tax to value ratio I think I need to look into possible prop tax exemptions based on my age. For 2006, my taxes are more than half your dad's and I live in a 400 sq. ft. condo in Makaha that I bought for $30,000. almost 20 years ago! I'm eligible for social security this year! Fortunately I'm not on a fixed income. But, I'm not retired and have no plans to in the near future. That could make a difference, I guess. This is a subject I'm just not familiar with and need to find the time to educate myself. Time...it's always about time!

Comment

Hawaii has always prided itself on respect for na kupuna. I agree with Miulang that the state should freeze tax increases, or limit the percentage of increase, for all of our elderly on fixed imcomes. It's the least we can do for those who've lived long lives and contributed so much.
            I know that those who have Hawaii property that is not a primary residence pay more in property taxes than those who actually live here. Maybe, to help out the locals struggling to pay, those who own second (or third or fourth) homes and do not live in them year round should pay even more. It's a bit of a 'take from the rich to give to the poor Robbin Hood approach to taxes,' but it actually seems fair, in light of the fact that those homes take up space and suck up resources whether they are inhabited or not. It's a thought.

Comment

If you haven't yet gotten your assessment in the mail, does that mean you're off the hook? No? Drat.

Enjoyed Richard Borreca's piece yesterday. Puts simply how the counties have it rough, since the state generally taxes "everyone else."

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                give the retired people the "tax breaks" they deserve (it's not their fault that houses cost so much today)Miulang
                sorry to say, it IS the old folks fault. If you have kids, or you came from a family with kids, then you are "pro-growth" by default. You get no choice. The rising price of homes is due to demand side pressure combined with supply side restrictions (especially the "politics of no")

Funny how growth protesters are mostly poor folk, who, by their actions, exclude only themselves due to the resultant higher cost of housing.

Logic is seldom the "protesters" forte.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                X