Bare feet in schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare feet in schools

Hello. I've heard that many schools in Hawaii allow the students to attend barefoot. Is this true? Do you know of any schools that allow this in Hawaii?

Re: Bare feet in schools

Same schools that let kids out when surf's up?

Comment

I've heard that many schools in Hawaii allow the students to attend barefoot. Is this true?
      it was back when i was a kid.
      Do you know of any schools that allow this in Hawaii?
      ummm. why you ask?

Comment

I spent a lot of time in elementary school barefoot. Though I did have slippers when I arrived and when I left (else my mom woulda been mad!). I don't know if full-on barefoot attendance is allowed (in practice or policy), but I wouldn't be surprised, either way.

Okay, I'd be surprised if the DOE didn't have a policy about footwear, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were effectively ignored.

At least 'til someone gets sued.

Comment

There might be charter schools that allow attendance in bare feet, but as a safety issue, some kind of footwear is required at nearly all schools, I'm quite sure. However, I have nothing to back this up with.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Most of the local public school dress codes I can find online specify that footwear must be worn at all times, citing safety reasons. I'm pretty sure these codes are derived from an overarching policy in the DOE, but I haven't found it online.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              I'm pretty sure these codes are derived from an overarching policy in the DOE
              "Overarching" --- "footwear" --- PZ, you unabashed punster! You got SOLE!

Comment

Aren't you suppose to run faster when wear your slippers on your hands... at least I thought so when I was a kid.

Looking back at my elementary school group pics... each year there was at least a couple of us barefoot... even my good friend one year, this haole kid from Indiana, went local style in one of the pics. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  "Overarching" --- "footwear" --- PZ, you unabashed punster! You got SOLE!
                  I'm a SOLE MAN! I'm a SOLE MAN!
                  --Blues Brothers
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                    Aren't you suppose to run faster when wear your slippers on your hands... at least I thought so when I was a kid.

Looking back at my elementary school group pics... each year there was at least a couple of us barefoot... even my good friend one year, this haole kid from Indiana, went local style in one of the pics. haha

Looking back at pictures of my sixth grade class of 1959 at Lanakila Elementery School only the "Oriental" girls had shoes on, all the boys and the rest of the girls were barefooted. In fact not until I went to Farrington did I have to wear shoes.

Comment

...and before Christmas 2005 many of the Mayor Wright Housing Kids went to school barefooted too! Thanks to our Ohana and their friend here they all got "SLIPPAH'S now!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

During the 60's Wilson Elementary School (In Waialae Nui) everyone was required to wear shoes. Girls had to wear dresses and boys had to wear long pants. NO EXCEPTIONS. Our Principal Mrs. Wong was a strict principal. She cancelled our May Day show when the teachers told the girls they could wear shorts for the event and when they came to school dressed that way, Mrs. Wong was so upset she cancelled the show. Lot's of crying kids and some very pissed off teachers not to mention parents who took off from work to watch the show that never happened.

Back then that kind of schooling was common along with the 1-inch thick Koa paddle with drilled holes (to increase whack velocity with less wind resistance).
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I was in elementary during the late 70's--every single classroom in our school had carpet, and administration was duly concerned about keeping it mud-free. So on rainy days, it was mandatory for all of us to remove slippers or shoes (if we had socks on, those usually came off too) before entering the classrooms. Not only was that prudent, but more cozy and fun for on those dreary wet days. Our school was very relaxed about the footwear issue. In kindergarten, I--and several others--took our slippers/shoes off once we arrived at school and went barefoot all day, and no one had a problem with that.

You know what I found interesting? Many mainland US folks are really formal about wearing shoes even in the house, right? But when I went on a trip to Canada, I found out that Canadians are much like us Hawaiians--they remove their footwear, too, when they go in the house. When I asked my Canadian friends about this, they said "why would someone want to wear shoes in the house and dirty up the floor? Besides, why do you need shoes in the house anyway?" Eh, those Canadians akamai, no?
                          Last edited by wala'au haole; February 13, 2006, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Someone told me the reason why people in the mainland where their shoes in the house is because they don't want the carpet to smell like stink feet. I guess we in Hawaii don't mind or our feet don't stink.

Comment

isn't the dirt from the shoes worse though?

i can't stand when some of my mainland friends jump on their beds with their shoes on!!! gross!!

as for the shoes in schools thing, I'm pretty sure they require it, but sometimes it (barefeet) jus happens. LIke at recess, how are u supposed to run fast with slippers on (they always end up breakin) ? and then once their off, sometimes u forget where u put them or someone steals them cuz u can't always put them on your hands (like when playing dodgeball etc.) and then ur stuck the rest of the day without anything to wear. I think I went through a pair of slippers every 3 weeks when I was in elementary school (my mom wasn't too happy about that...thank goodness for longs $1.99 sale)

Now that I'm on the mainland, I wear shoes a lot and sometimes I can't stand it. Even in the winter I'll brave it and wear slippers.

Comment

Working...
                              X