GETTING RID OF ANTS & Roaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GETTING RID OF ANTS & Roaches

What is the best way to kill ants. What I mean is a ant trap/bait. What works the best? Somehow we got infested with little red ants lately. The sprays only stink and they come back in a few days.

So what method has everyone used to get rid of roaches too?

Re: GETTING RID OF ANTS & Roaches

Originally posted by speedtek
    What is the best way to kill ants. What I mean is a ant trap/bait. What works the best? Somehow we got infested with little red ants lately. The sprays only stink and they come back in a few days.

So what method has everyone used to get rid of roaches too?
    ...I wasn't gonna say it for a long time but wat da hell, "Whack Whack!"

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

ants love water so if it has been dry lately, they move indoors where water is around (kitchen sink, bathroom)

They also love food so keep food stock in sealed bags or in the fridge, not on the table next to the computer where Derek plays his video games.

Oh and ants and roaches love the warmth of electronics so once in a while shoot some insecticide in the computer.

I'm still waiting for that .dll file
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Depends on what kind of ants they are. We use a homemade bait of sugar and boric acid, dissolved in water, and dispensed via those old plastic film containers (put small holes near the top, fill them half-full of your poison, cap 'em and turn 'em upside down somewhere in the path of the buggers - the lid makes a little "moat" that the ants swarm to.) They take the poison/food back to the nest and share it - the boric acid eats at them from the inside out.

BUT it's only for those little ants that are attracted to sugar, AND you can't do it if you have pets that can get into the traps - it will injure or kill them, too.

Comment

da ting I always found works good is in da middle of da night (shhhh be quiet) take one bag of sugar an go in your neighbors yard an sprinkle away all ovah da place no go too close to their house tho an make one small kine trail that leads from your yard to the neighbors yard no get caught tho....

if they aftah water jus go outside an water da grass or plants den dey go away

den when you have done that go store an either buy mothballs or mothball crysals an go around the foundation of your house an sprinkle it if you have regular mothball crush them.... dont know why this works but it does. you need to look on the box about pet instructions I cant remember if it will hurt them...
          Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
            da ting I always found works good is in da middle of da night (shhhh be quiet) take one bag of sugar an go in your neighbors yard an sprinkle away all ovah da place no go too close to their house tho an make one small kine trail that leads from your yard to the neighbors yard no get caught tho....
            now, THAT'S the aloha spirit!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              now, THAT'S the aloha spirit!
              Nah, it's the Missouri spirit ("Show me" ... the path to my neighbor's yard.)

Comment

the only reason I know this trick is we caught the neighbors doing it when we lived in Kalihi lol. it was a big laugh then and it has worked any time I have had ants no matter where I lived.
                Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

If you're worried about toxins (who isn't?) try sprinkling diatomaceous earth where the ants walk. It sticks to them and kills them by giving them tiny cuts, killing them by drying em out. It's safe to humans and animals - it's made from ground up stones.

You can get it at Wal-mart and home & garden-type stores.

Comment

Originally posted by smoot
                    If you're worried about toxins (who isn't?) try sprinkling diatomaceous earth where the ants walk. It sticks to them and kills them by giving them tiny cuts, killing them by drying em out. It's safe to humans and animals - it's made from ground up stones.

You do this inside?
                    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Dis not one commercial for dem, but Combat used to work pretty good for black ants. Might work on the little red ants. Probably not for carpenter ants. If you don't mind a leetle mess, sprinkling boric acid along the baseboards (and sometimes the kitchen counter edge against the wall) helps with ants and roaches. Ants are smart buggahs. If something they eat makes them sick but doesn't kill them, they're unlikely to eat it again. That's how come some baits might work for a while and then no work anymore. If can, try to find the ant nest and kill the nest.

Comment

Originally posted by smoot View Post

Please please please do not do this inside and if you do it outside use goggles and a face mask. Diatomaceous earth is NOT made up of ground stones. It is made of the fossilized remains of diatoms, a eukaryotic algae that has sharp edges which acts like millions of razor blades that stick and cut into insects causing them to dry out. Work son ants, fleas, etc. Now imagine what it will do to your lungs and eyes? Definitely not something you want your kids or animals to inhale, it would be just like breathing in abestos.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomite

Safety considerations
                          The absorbent qualities of diatomite can result in a significant drying of the hands, if handled without gloves. The saltwater (industrial) form contains a highly crystalline form of silica, resulting in sharp edges. The sharpness of this version of the material makes it dangerous to breathe and a dust mask is recommended when working with it.

The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the silica. Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica. Food-grade diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.

Comment

I've been spraying my lawn with spectracide (purchased from Kmart or Walmart) and spraying the indoor infestations before I go to bed. The spectracide is the kind you attach to a waterhose and seeps into underground colonies and is effective for about 2 months. I started using it in March, and the ants haven't returned since.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I'm not paid to say this, but Terminix gets rid of em' in my experience.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                              X