Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversation with Lex Brodie

Hi all,

I had a chance to spend some time with Lex Brodie yesterday at Small Business Hawaii's annual conference. It might have been Lex's last public appearance. You never know.

Lex is now 91 and mostly living in Hanalei. He was born on Kauai in 1915. His Kaneohe house is for sale.

Lex was surfing weekly until last year. His health and vision are deteriorating. I'm told he has good and bad days. But he was in great form yesterday.

Surrounded by members of the organization he created 30 years ago, Lex shared stories about his early days.

Lex's first business, when he was in his late teens, was as a beach boy, with Sam Kahanamoku.

George "Dad" Center (one of Hawaii's famous swim coaches) had four outrigger canoes that were used on weekends. Lex made him an offer to use them during the week. Sam would sell three rides for $1 to tourists in front of the Royal Hawaiian and Moana hotels. Lex would take them out.

One day, he made $19 and was thrilled. That's probably around $150 in 2006 dollars. Not bad for a teenager during the depression.

Shirley Temple was one of their customers, he said, when she came to Hawaii around 1935.

Lex said, if there was a pretty girl, he'd put her right in front of him and sometime they'd strike up a conversation.

This led to invitations to dine with her family. The parents would retire and he and the girl would dance until late and she'd sign for drinks.

Back then, tourist would often come for months. Many brought their own cars and servants.

This was Lex's first business (and dating strategy) in the early 1930s.

Re: Conversation with Lex Brodie

Here is a picture of Lex with his wife and the owner-operators of the Lex Brodie tire business taken at yesterday's Small Business Hawaii conference.

Photo by mel
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What a nice story, Creative-1. Great pic, Mel!

Too long ago I used to surf at Queens every morning with the old timers, and Lex was one of them. He used to stick the big ole round sex wax in his mouth, stick up his arms and give the too-close speed boats the double middle-finger salute. He cracked me up.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The people in the photo above are Evelyn Brodie, Lex's wife, Lex, Scott Williams, general manager and Bill Grey, marketing manager.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thank you, very much.

tink-tink-tink

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
          X