Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kauai Family Restaurant

http://www.kauaifamilyrestaurant.com/

ok, who at Hawaii Threads has had the pleasure of dining here? I plan to spend some time there soon, and would like to know where to start on the menu.

Sometimes I go for dessert first.

Re: Kauai Family Restaurant

Originally posted by Lalalinder

ok, who at Hawaii Threads has had the pleasure of dining here?
    These are my impressions from around 5-6 years ago.
    • Taste: Very good. Had the laulau, kalua pig, lomi salmon, ahi poke, mac salad with rice plate.
    • Portion sizes: On the smallish side. Ahi poke came in (to me) specimen cups.
    • Prices: On the steeper side, disproportionate to their serving sizes.

I remember thinking that one visit would be my last, but maybe things have changed since then.

Comment

Re: Kauai Family Restaurant

Kauai Family Restaurant is very good. It's better now because they've repainted and redecorated and gotten rid of the cigarette smoke smell that used to be so unpleasant.

They're open for breakfast now, too, so if you get there around 11 a.m. during the week for lunch (they've got limited hours on Saturday and are closed Sunday, I think) it won't be crowded at all. The service has gotten better too.

Their luau plate is good; I like their Hanamaulu style fried chicken and their ginger chicken. Their spare ribs are kinda not too meaty but they're still ono. Their prices are higher than L&L, but they serve bigger portions than Bobby's in Everett and are a little cheaper than Bobby's. They serve brown rice now, too, along with steamed white rice and fried rice options.

Next door is the Kauai Desserts bakery that makes dobash cake (you drooling, Lurkah? ), pineapple, lilikoi, coconut and mango cake, and chantilly cake. You can buy it by the piece or whole cakes. Sometimes you can find individual slices of their cake at Uwajimaya in Seattle (I dunno if the Bellevue has any of their cakes).

I don't know where you live, Lala (what's the name of the new restaurant in your neighborhood? I like finding new local grinds places and writing about them on that "other" forum for which I am food editor).

There's a new restaurant in Wallingford (across from QFC and Wallingford Center) that's really good. And if you haven't been to Lei's in Duvall, you gotta go. Bennie (one of the owners) makes the BEST mac salad! Just like my Mom and I make, with potatoes, macaroni and eggs and peas and carrots. It's the best mac salad in town. They have poke on the weekends.

There's also Northshore BBQ on 105th. Gavin, the owner of that also co-owns some L&Ls in Hawai'i, so if you're in town and don't want to drive all the way up to Lynnwood to L&L, this place would be a good alternative (prices and portions about the same as L&L).

Have you tried Kona Kitchen near Northgate? They have ono beef stew and Mari's kalua & cabbage and a decent loco moco and chicken katsu.

AlohaPlates in the Uwajimaya Food Court has gotten better too. I remember when they first opened, we went there and I ordered a loco moco. It came with the hamburger and gravy, but the fried egg cost extra! So I said to the guy, "How can you call this loco moco and not include the fried egg on top?" They have since revised their loco moco so the fried egg is included, no extra charge. They have good tonkatsu and chicken katsu and kalua & cabbage. They have a brown rice option, too.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; January 14, 2006, 02:40 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X