Chinese Jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Jacks

I just put up the beginning of an article in Ryan's WikiHawaii on Chinese Jacks. For those of you who remember playing this really fun game, am I missing anything in the description of gameplay? Please feel free to post comments here or make changes right to the article.

I'm curious about variations, especially region-specific ones. Did kids in Hawaii Kai play differently from kids in Waipahu? I grew up in Waipahu and present the game as we played it in the eighties.

Also, has anyone seen Chinese jacks anywhere recently? I'm jonesing for a game.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Chinese Jacks

what a great thread!

Chinese jacks, Wailuku Elementary-style:

1. beg your momma at AhFooks to pick up those brightly colored plastic rings. If she really loves you, she will buy more than one box.

2. Link those little ringies together, so that you have five distinct jacks.

3. The challenge:

Ones: Toss them in the air, one by one. As each is falling, you have to catch it on the back of your hand. (which means you must move your hand faster than e=mc^2).

Twos: Toss in pairs, up on the air. You have to catch them both on the back of your hand. The "leftover" is tossed singly into the air, and also must be caught on the back of your hand.

Threes: see rules for twos above.

Fours: its getting harder.

Fives: can you catch all five on the back of your hand?

4. If any jack does not land (or falls off) the back of your hand, you lose your turn to the next person).
    Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; January 16, 2006, 07:20 AM.

pax

Comment

I'm speechless. That's a completely different game!

However, you do point out that there were five jacks per set, not six, as I originally wrote. That totally makes sense, now that I think about it.

How did you score the game? Or was it like regular jacks, where you just progress through different levels?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

i think it was almost like koongies. you know the things full of lead. if you had five koongies. you lay em down , throw one up in the air , grab a koongie on the ground , than catch the one in the air....
        Ebb And Flow

Comment

I know this is an older thread, but I was a huge fan of chinese jacks when i was a kid. I actually was able to locate a case of them. I have them listed on Ebay, which is usually a great place to locate them every so often...

Thy were so much fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Discotish View Post
            I know this is an older thread, but I was a huge fan of chinese jacks when i was a kid. I actually was able to locate a case of them. I have them listed on Ebay, which is usually a great place to locate them every so often...

Thy were so much fun!!!

Ditto here .

I miss playing them when I as a child once.

Does the stores (here in Oahu) still sells them??

Ahhhh!!. Those were the days, playing chinese jacks.
            Aches & Pains
            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Working...
            X