Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rico & Hawai'i- music?

Hello everyone!

I've heard that some Puerto Rican descendants in Hawai'i have been fusing their two musical traditions and producing some interesting music. Would anyone happen to know of any artists/albums? We'll be visiting Hawai'i in late March and hopefully will be able to pick some up.

Mahalo!
    Puerto Rican in Seattle. My life is a bad sitcom.

Re: Puerto Rico & Hawai'i- music?

Quiet Storm has issued two great releases titled "Salsa From Hawai`i." The first is a various-artists compilation, the second features a band called Son Caribe. www.quietstorm.com

Comment

Thank you...growing up on the island, I was told that the Puerto Ricans in Hawai'i had been able to retain traditional musical traditions that were lost to us as mainland and afro-cuban influences changed our music. Mind you, I love the progress of all caribbean music-- it's part of our collective melting pot. But I was able to listen to snippets of some of the songs in the Quiet Storn and I can hear the slower cadences and singing. Even though these are modern recordings, the sound is more like some of the old recordings I grew up with listening to my grandmother's radio.

I hope that I'll be able to hear a band or two while I'm in Hawai'i. You travel thousands of miles and find a piece of yourself where you least expect it.
      Puerto Rican in Seattle. My life is a bad sitcom.

Comment

If you liked what you heard of Son Caribe, they have this website where you can find out where/when they play live.

Comment

Working...
        X