Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Sets Rubik's Cube Record: 11.13 Seconds

source

SAN FRANCISCO — A 20-year-old California Institute of Technology student set a new world's record for solving the popular Rubik's Cube puzzle, turning the tiled brain-twister from scrambled to solved in 11.13 seconds.
    Geeks and their toys
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Man Sets Rubik's Cube Record: 11.13 Seconds

My second oldest boy (19-years old) picked up an old Rubik's cube off the table when I was cleaning the closet out a couple of months ago. The darned thing was totally messed up and I had given up on that thing when it was still a fad!

Now this boy isn't your average kid. He's a math wiz and can start playing any musical instrument well within a few hours of practice (more like within 2-hours). He claims he can look at any math question (Calculus is like 1+1 to him) and derive a formula instantly because he can "see" the answer formulate in front of him. But somewhere developmentally he lacked the ability to comprehend common sense (you know street smarts?)

Yeah he's a genius and an idiot at the same time. Scored top 3% in statewide (Hawaii) SAT scores, and top 10% nationwide.

Now the Rubik's Cube? He picked it up not even knowing it was a puzzle and while I was telling him what it was he solved it! I don't know how long it took him but in the time it took me to say, "Oh that was a puzzle that came out in the late 70's as a big fad game and totally frustrated everyone that tried it, even had tournaments to figure it out and wholly crap you did it!"

Yeah that fast. It's nice to have a genius in the family cuz he can help the younger brothers with their high school math. He's so logical he doesn't speed when driving, calculating in his head that the guy that passed us will arrive at that red light 3-seconds earlier than us. I tell him what red light it's a green right now. But he's looking at traffic patterns and determined the light was going to change at a certain point and the guy was not going to make even a late yellow. F*@kin' amazing...actually as Spock says, "That's quite logical Captain Kirk".
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
    X